Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Galardo: Project #4 - Rogue

Rogue Recreation

I would like to recreate the original game that started the Rogue-Like genre,Rogue. Shown HERE.

I want to recreate the game with some basic shapes with textures since the original was ascii text art. This is so I can make the game without having to worry about gathering a ton of assets and can focus on mechanics.

Assets/Systems Needed:
    • I will be keeping the camera angle/style of Top-Down
    • Build a procedural dungeon system or randomized hand crafted floorplan system.
    • Name/Level/Gold/Health/Strength/Weapon Power/Experience systems
    • Basic Items
    • Made possibly with only C# (no Unity/Unreal)
      • Weapon power that increases when a new weapon is picked up.
      • potions
      • etc.
    • Basic enemy AI that moves towards players when they are in the same room.
    • Multiple dungeon floors when getting to exit.
    • I am going to keep it simple and as close to the original as I can (I may use the IBM PC version though as reference, so I can add color) -> IBM_Version.PNG​ (Video)
    • Unicode reference for later (LINK)
    • Monster List for later (https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Rogue/Monsters)
    • Item List (https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Rogue/Items)
    Last edited by Professor Gallardo; 08-06-2024, 12:00 PM.

Wow, an ASCII game. Interesting. Approved.

Comment

I will be moving this project into Project #4
      Last edited by Professor Gallardo; 07-18-2024, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Project #4 Turn-In
        (Turned-In 8/6/2024 @ 3:20pm)

Project Attached At Bottom

I ended up doing this in Visual Studio instead of Unity or Unreal to better emulate the original.
        Took a lot longer than I thought it would to do what I did on this project, even though it was an ASCII game. (Had to push it back twice to project #4)

I sadly missed out on a bit of functionality (Potions, good number of Scrolls, Wands, Staffs, Rings, FastPlay Mode, etc) due to the sheer size of the game, but I got as much of the functionality I could.

Had to do a lot of research to get this to work properly, so I hope it works well!

Helpful Sites:
        NOTE: Build works perfectly on my computer, but I had Alex test it out and the ASCII art was a bit messed up for her for some reason...So I have added some extra examples of it working.
        Examples of how The Build looks on my PC:

VIDEO Example: JGRogue.mp4

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	18.3 KB ID:	299Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	300
        Last edited by Professor Gallardo; 08-06-2024, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X