Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

similar but less dramatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• similar but less dramatic

after importing a tiff into InDesign, the image box leaves a lighter ghost when placing pics with on a dark background, not visible on the monitor, but very noticable in print. very ugly... tried dropping in a psd also with the same result

"Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

Homer Simpson"

sigpic

Are you using any form of transperancy in the TIFF or PSD file or within InDesign?
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

yes I am .... it appears that everywhere I placed a box in indesign where I wanted to place a knocked out image (with a transperancy) I got a ghosted image, the exact size of the inDesign box. the only way I could deal with it was to use the pen tool and magnify to about 4000% and form the bounding box as close to the image as possible. still looks like crap! but I had to get to print.

which by the way, its now 1:15 am before the time change and my prints are still not done. I have been to 5 printers saturday from 10:30 am to 1am tring to get this stuff printed.

the last 2 places (24 hour places) printers kept jamming, I am never going to get this done on time, not to mention the 3 research papers due in 3 other classes on monday.

the first year since I was a kid where I didnt get to have my fun on halloween. priorities damn it priorities.

no sleep for me , I guess I can work on my project book til my prints are ready.

"Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

Homer Simpson"

sigpic

Comment

"the first year since I was a kid where I didnt get to have my fun on halloween. priorities damn it priorities."

whoops, was halloween on sunday? crud, i'm so out of touch....

Comment

I have tried to reproduce the problems you describe by printing on colored paper, printing an image in front of a printed dark color background, printing from InDesign CS2 and printing from the PDF files created by CS2. So far I am unable to reproduce the problem. I've tried using both of the methods posted for creating knockout images from photoshop (alpha channel tiff images and clipping path eps images). Could you let me know how you made the knockouts? What are the settings when you create the PDF's from InDesign? When you import the tiff images are you also importing the alpha channels or clipping paths?

I'll try to trouble shoot these problems as much as possible if I have the information in enough time to help. Unfortunately, I can't head off problems if I don't know about them nor can I figure out what every possible combination of platform, system version or printer may create.

It's a universal fact of life that deadlines are magnetic and will always end up on the same day. I've set the final design crit for this project far ahead of the final due date so that you all have the time to deal with the production. That's why we covered only acetate pockets on Wednesday and scheduled the field trip to the printer on Friday. That left just about a week since the last crit for everyone to get things printed.

The project books should be able to come along during the whole project and not leave everything until the end. Just bind it or 3 hole punch it and burn the cd. Even the CD only requires the final design in InDesign not as pdf's.

I am open to suggestions on how things could be better handeled, but it is a class in PRINT so getting things printed is part of the deal. It's a fact of life that most graphic design depends on external vendors to get things done.
          "No cape darling"

Comment

OK. First just do your best with what you have in hand and get that turned in.

Then, if you can drop by my office, lets tackle all these issues one by one and we can work out how to fix each problem and you can help me understand how to write the assignment so that it would be clearer and more helpful.

As far as the problems with the various printing sizes go, we can talk about that but I'm not too sure what to tell you since it seems to be related to the specific printer. Bring some of the "messes" and maybe I can help uncover what their problem was but it seems now that it may be a problem with their equipment or operator.

I'm sure that there is a solution in there somewhere tht will allow you to have the piece that you wanted. We'll just have to figure it out.
            "No cape darling"

Comment

Working...
            X