Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	13515
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20241021_184139.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	13516

Comment

Anna: Okay. So this is a really good block-in. On its own it’s very solid. But it doesn’t feel quite right which you look at it with the reference. Maybe it’s the vertical nature of the paper you’re using, but there’s something missing from the very horizontal nature of the pose in the reference. You’ve captured a lot of the verticality of the pose, like how high his knee is, but there feels like there’s something taken away from how far back he’s leaning, to GET that knee up.

Class: check out the drawing and compare it to the reference and then come back here

I think you need to redraw the legs. I told you as you started, man, he’s got some big old legs and to keep an eye on that. My guess is that you started running out of space when drawing the kicking leg and shrank it and compressed it, anll the way down to the foot and then shrank the other leg to match. Can you see that?

Unfortunately that absolutely takes away from what makes the pose so awesome.

Comment

Hannah Pelham
          Attached Files

Comment

Sofia: Thank you for watching the angle of the shoulders, but the legs are too short compared to the torso, and you’ve run out of space to have that left leg much lower on the page than you have it. To quote banksy:

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	13527

Same thing as with Clarissa’s assessment, you have to redraw it for the same reasons, unless there’s a huge crop and you can just extend the legs significantly. But you also may have to redraw that lower arm as well because it’s not quite right, check out where the arm starts at the armpit in relation to the opposite arm.

Comment

Christian: Okay! I know you’ve had some problems with the legs, in particular the angles, and they’re still not quite right, because the triangle of your legs look dang near symmetrical in the original reference, but is leaning slightly to the right in the drawing.
              I was earlier going to call this a happy accident and let you keep going with this block-in, as the result of the “leaning” triangle actually helps your pose, but as I’ve said before, I don’t believe in happy accidents, at least in the purpose of this class. “Two to make it true” means that you have to be able to replicate it intentionally or else it’s not yours to use whenever you want. We’ll talk about how it was a happy accident next time I see y’all in class, as it aides really nicely into our introduction into gesture drawing.

Comment

Ash Lara

Couldn't posted earlier, but still rather posted late than not at all.

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	14066 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	14067

Comment

Rene: looking very good, but in the reference it looks like you’re leaning towards your hand, like you’re focusing on some kind of power that you’re wielding. You’re losing that lean in your drawing, because of the placement of your head on your shoulders, as well as your left (far) shoulder sticking out a little too much. By showing more shoulder you’re minimizing the chest sticking out and shoulder being thrown back, which is an assertive move which projects power. Not drawing a shoulder doesn’t feel right, but that’s our tendency towards the default coming into play.

Comment

Working...
                  X