Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Graphics Away Trip Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Graphics Away Trip Choices

For the two trips that have been proposed for the Spring 2009 "Graphics Away" are the following...

London/Paris (May 8-20, 2009 - 11 days/10 nights*) - $2500 (appr)
    * A day is lost from travel
    • Roundtrip Airfare from SAT-LGW/CGD-SAT
    • 6 days / 5 nights at a 3-star Hotel in London, England
    • 4 days / 3 nights at a 3-star Hotel in Paris, France
    • Transportation to and from Airport
    • Chunnel Ticket (for trip from London to Paris)

or

NYC (May 12-17, 2009 - 6 days/5 nights) - $1500 (appr)
    • Roundtrip Airfare from SAT-LGA
    • 6 days / 5 nights at a 3-star Hotel near Central Park / Times Square
    • Transportation to and from Airport
    • MTA 7-day Metro Card
    • Dinner/Empire State Building Tour

Please vote for the trip that you are interested in and are willing to pay for.

You may vote for both if you wish.

The poll opens today (9/28) and closes on 10/7 @ 10:30 AM.

More Information

The purpose of the trip is to explore the selected location(s) from a designer's point of view. All the activities will be focused on finding, studying, and analyzing the important design centers of these amazing cities. As part of this effort, the course CART 4390 World Graphics has been developed and is required of all student traveling. The purpose of this course is to not only put the cities in an historical and artistic context, but to give students an opportunity to learn how to get around the places to be traveled. Assignments will be due in the course, including a large assignment due upon return to Texas. This final assignment will be presented during the summer months. All who travel must enroll in this course in the Spring.

There will be one faculty for every 8 students traveling. We expect students to be responsible on the trip, and any student who misbehaves in any way that endangers the group, or the reputation of the university will be sent home at the student's expense. Safety for all traveling is paramount.

While the trip does include airfare, hotel, and some transportation, students will be responsible for all other incurred expenses (passport fees, food, museum entry, travel, souvenirs, events, etc.).

The cost of the trip does not include tuition. Tuition is a separate matter and pays for the credits you'd receive for the trip.

This is open to all Computer Graphic Arts students. If you have any questions, please contact any of the professors.
    London/Paris (11 days/10 nights) - $2500
    60.71%
    NYC (6 days/5 nights) - $1500
    39.29%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Professor Watkins; September 29, 2008, 11:08.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

As a history, here are past trips that we've taken:
    • Spring 2002 - Beijing & Guangzhou, China
    • Spring 2004 - London, England
    • Spring 2005 - New York City, New York
    • Spring 2006 - London, England & Paris, France

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

"All the activities will be focused on finding, studying, and analyzing the important design centers of these two amazing cities."

By design centers do you mean museums, buildings (architecture) and/or schools?

Comment

Yup. There should be a few studio visits in there - probably not a lot of school visits.

Comment

About the passport:

My family recently went on a cruise in summer of 2007. My mother, who lived in Germany years ago received her renewed passport in about three months. My aunts and uncles who didn't have a passport, got theirs in about 6-7 months.

A friend of mine got his in two days by physically driving to Houston and waiting in line for 8 hrs without any guaranty of being seen.

Something else to think about is the dollar to pound/euro exchange rate.
          The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I've taken over 100 students abroad and the passport has never been an issue. If you are a current documented citizen, passports take 6-8 weeks. It's the first thing you'll do in the study abroad class.

The dollar is indeed weak against the pound and euro (although that goes up and down). So you might not be able to buy as many "My grandson went to London and all I got was this stupid t-shirt" shirts; but this is often offset by the fact that all but one museum (that we would visit) in London is free. Food is generally comparable there (if you eat on the low end) - see the following comparison:
            (from: http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06...t/source/4.htm)

What Things Cost

McDonald's Big Mac

New York City: $3.29
            Buenos Aires: $1.58 (4.80 Argentine pesos)
            Johannesburg: $2.30 (13.95 rand)
            London: $3.61 (1.94 pounds)
            Moscow: $1.78 (48 rubles)
            Paris: $4.09 (3.20 euros)
            Shanghai: $1.31 (10.50 renminbi)
            Tel Aviv: $3.50 (15.50 shekels)
            Tokyo: $2.26 (250 yen)
            Last edited by Professor Watkins; September 29, 2008, 08:09.

Comment

I just applied for a passport for a trip I'm taking in December and they told me it would only take about 6 weeks maximum. :up: But yeah, Houston has one of those passport centers where you can get one in a few days.

Comment

A few questions:

- How does the payment process work?

- Is it one lump some of the whole amount? Payments?

- Can you venture away from the group?

- At night can I go out to the disco?

- Can you drink?
                The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Good news on the London/Paris trip. The price has been adjusted down (misinterpretation of the quote on my part). The new price ($2500) is reflected in the information above.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpuga1982 View Post
                    A few questions:

Depends on which trip happens. Usually there is a lump sum due up front ($600 for London/Paris), and then a payment schedule is developed after that. Usually, full payment is due 60 days before travel.

Yes, although on specified days. Usually the trip includes some pre-determined places to visit; and some specific things to do while you're there. However, traveling alone or with a buddy - away from the group - is part of the important learning experience. There are frequent "free-time" sessions where you are expected to go and do something on your own or with a friend or two.

Not sure about the NY trip; but for London/Paris absolutely. You do need to make sure you are at our morning meetings; but experiencing the nightlife of the city you're in is part of the gig.

- Can you drink?
                    If you can do it responsibly and legally yes. However, remember the policy that if a student's actions endanger other students or the reputation of the university, he/she goes home - that day - at their expense. So anyone ends up in jail, they're in for an expensive flight home. But that has never happened before and students have generally been responsible 'partyers'.

Comment

When exactly is this?

edit. >.< I'm going blind or something
                      Last edited by Gustov; September 29, 2008, 13:29.
                      CERVUS LACESSITUS LEO

"What is a chair? It's ahh...anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

Comment

There's dates on the listings above....

Comment

I'd like to vote for both but it's not giving me the option to.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Taco View Post
                            I'd like to vote for both but it's not giving me the option to.
                            Once you have voted, that's it... but I went in and changed the number of votes for the London/Paris trip to +1.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpuga1982
                              Same as above for NYC. There would be four scheduled payments that are about a month apart.

Ditto to what Professor Watkins said.

When we visit museums you don't need to stay with the group, but you do need to meet us back at the designated location at the specified time. In the itinerary, one day is set aside for whatever you want to see/do. Some go to a museum we missed or go shopping their portfolio or sleep off the night before.

Only if you have a white suit. ;)

During the NYC trip, the evenings are yours. We have scheduled appointments and events everyday from 9 AM to 7 PM. But after 7 PM you can do anything you want (but leave the island). As long as you are at the 9:00 AM meeting and are with us during the day, you're fine.

- Can you drink?
                              Ditto to what Professor Watkins said.

Comment

Working...
                              X