Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valerie Barajas Game Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valerie Barajas Game Journal

Name of Game
    Game author (If known)
    Game Studio

Original Platform
    Original control mechanism when game was released

Control mechanism you used
    Would the experience have been different using the original? How?

Describe game Play and mechanics
    ~ 150-300 words

Describe strengths & weaknesses of art & design
    ~ 150-300 words

What made it fun?
    ~ 150-300 words

Now that you’ve played it, Why would this game be considered influential? How does it fit into the evolution of games?
    ~ 150-300 words

How would you rate this game (1-5 Stars (5 stars good))
    Valerie Barajas

Name of Game
    Palace
    Game author (If known)
    Unknown
    Game Studio
    N/A
    Original Platform
    52 Card Deck
    Player’s Hands
    Card Deck
    There is no difference, the game has remained the same since it has been created.

The player is given 3 cards at a time, the first set of three cards to each player is placed face-down. These cards cannot be seen until the draw pile is gone. Players will then have been given 6 cards to pick up. Players choose the best 3 cards to place on top of their face down cards. These 6 cards become their entire hand and the three remaining cards become their hand to play with. Players have three cards in their hand at all times Players reach their cards before them without any cards in hand unless required to pick up the discard pile. Players take turns playing their cards in an increasing order. If a player cannot beat the previous card, they must pick up the entire pile. Each time a card is played, a card must be drawn from the deck until it is finished before moving onto the cards before the player.

The weakness of the game is that if you ran out of all the cards in your hand and have no more facing up, the ones that are left are the face down card. These face down cards you cannot hold in your hand or peak to see if any of them will have a high or low card, you have to use your best judgment to pick a random face down card in order to have high card to beat the display card on the table. The strength of this game is that you can use as many as the same cards in your hand that is equal to the display card on the table to get rid of the cards in your hand which can make you the winner when there are no more cards for you to have.

Now that you’ve played it, Why would this game be considered influential? How does it fit into the evolution of games?

The card game is very influential if your familiar with playing the card game “Uno” where the goal of that game and this game “Palace,” are the same where one of the players has to get rid of all their cards to declare themselves a winner. The game Palace has fit into the evolution where people can come together and spends some time with each and have fun, just like when I was young I would playboard game with my siblings to have fun.

I would rate this game a 4 out of 5
    Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
      Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Game author (If known)
      Shigeru Miyamoto

Game Studio
      Nintendo

Original Platform
      Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Original control mechanism when game was released.

Super Nintendo Controller

Control mechanism you used.
      Computer Keyboard

Yes, the experience is more different than I'm used to playing it, when I first played Mario Kart it was on the N64 where video games started to become more 3D than the traditional pixel 2D animation. I never knew that Mario Kart was around during my early childhood back in the 90s.

The game play and mechanics are somewhat the same as the N64 when I used to play as a kid, there are a few differences in the game that have change over time one being that I had to play the game on the keyboard, which was a little difficult since it was hard to maneuver your character if you don't have the traditional game control in your hands, the second being there are less track levels on the early version of the game and the N64 and beyond have more levels as well as more characters in the game. You can also use weapons to defeat the other racers to give you a better chance at winning in the newer version of the game. The old version was about who could win first place the fastest, not really making a challenge to the player who just wants to win in the end.

The art style in the first game was the typical 2D pixel that graphics where pretty advance and beautiful at the time that almost made it look 3D that brought up a great strength in artistry, but as technology became more advanced video games makers wanted a more realistic stylize look for their gamer audience that can give them a more imagination when playing their games. Soon the 2D pixel art of Mario became an old thing of the past that made it weak against new upcoming technology that gave the video game world a new real world looks of what a flat 2D image can look like in 3-dimensional perspective.

What made it fun?
      As a 90s kid growing up Mario was the top game that every kid my age was playing. I would play the Mario Game series with my siblings, cousin, and neighborhood kids. Nothing brought kids together as bonding over some video game and roasting each other who was the better player.

This game became influential over time of how playing against other players can very competitive and entertaining. This game led up to Super Smash Bro series where the Nintendo characters and other characters from other games came together to see who was the strongest in their own fighting skills. This different type of game play gave the Mario Series a different look that there was more than a plumber saving a princess, the princess can also fight her opponents and become a winner in her own victorious way.

Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
        Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

Game author (If known)
        Takuma Endo

Game Studio
        Acquire

Original Platform
        PlayStation

PlayStation Controller

PlayStation Controller

No difference, played the game on my PS4, controllers where the same as the original.

The game takes play in Feudal Japan, where you play as two ninjas, a male name Rikimaru and a female Ayame, you have the option to play either of these to two characters in the game. The character are spies and assassins who are assign on mission to protect different villages and innocent people from a Demonic Sorcerer name Lord Mei-Oh. The gameplay is third-person view where the player has to be stealthy in order to defeat enemies that are searching for you or guarding the main boss in each mission. Enemies can be killed by using Stealth Kills. The player can avoid detection by using the Ki Meter, which detect the player's position to an enemy.

The strength of art and design of the game that it made you feel like you were in Feudal Japan despite it being a very low poly game at the time but still gave off the illusion that you were in Japan. The design of the game was fun to interact in, for the player could chose to kill their enemies in a sneaky stealthy way without being caught or notice by their target.

The weakness of the game is that it is a very low poly game but that was the rendering process at the time of technology had not been advance yet so a lot of 3D game where low poly and stylize in the 90s.
        The design of the game is fun but your only allow to carry a few weapons on you when the play is on a mission. You have to rely on your stealth alone as ninja to get to you goal or target. Once you run of items on your mission your technically out of luck until you beat the mission or start all over again.

What made it fun?
        Sneaking around to kill your enemies is what made it fun in this game. I also like the fact you can swing from building to building to avoid enemies, so that you don't always have to fight to get to your target, you can basically get through a mission without ever being notice by the enemy.

Now that you’ve played it, why would this game be considered influential? How does it fit into the evolution of games?
        Stealth games have always been fun to play, this game make my childhood for it introduce me another stealth game called Metal Gear where you play as a character who also uses stealth to kill his enemies. Playing stealth game have always been a big influence on the gaming industry because it shows you don't always need a gun or weapon to quickly kill your enemies, using sneak attacks to destroy your target is very tactical and clever when defeating a game.

5 Stars
        Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
          Mario N64
          Game author (If known)
          Shigeru Miyamoto
          Game Studio
          Nintendo
          Original Platform
          Nintendo 64
          Nintendo 64 Controller
          Computer Keyboard
          The experience was different from how its originally played, I used my computer’s keyboard to control the player and maneuver the camera. I was used to playing the game with the N64 original controller so many times my parents had to buy a new controller for the times me and my siblings would break the controller’s joystick for how hard we would smash the buttons.

Mario 64 is the Mario Series first ever 3D game, it is a platformer that allows you to move through 3D space and have more abilities to Mario that was never played before. In this game, Mario is able to more flexible with his movements, such as walking, running, jumping, crouching, crawling, swimming, and other human movements. The game also adds camera movements that you can toggle between 1st and 3rd person view.

Describe strengths & weaknesses of art & design.
          The strength of the art and design of this game is that it gave an open world roleplaying game that style still had the nostalgic look of the original 2D Mario World. Though very low, its art style was still very beautifully made and gave it out of the box open feel that 2D games can be made into 3D concept and bring more imagination for the player that life doesn’t have to flat and boring.

The weakness of the game is that it is very low poly and not much realism to the game but considering that was the best technology could do in the late 90s and early 2000s, a lot of games back then didn’t have the capacity to render high quality 3D forms. Another weakness of the game is the camera angles, camera control was still a new form of tech that Nintendo was still learning and getting used to and coming up of way to make the camera more stable was still a trial-and-error type of experience to make Nintendo games more playable for gamers to experience.

What made it fun?
          Seeing Mario finally becoming a 3D character and having more mobility to control him. Hearing him have a voice so that players can have a realistic idea of what he actually sounds like. Beautiful environment and still being able to defeat Bowser in a dynamic way in order to save the love of your life Princess Peach.

Now that you’ve played it, why would this game be considered influential?
          This game has spark many 2D games into becoming 3D games and still give nostalgic reembrace of how fun playing games can be. This game has inspired to give more open world concept for players to explore and interact. This game has given me childhood memories to share with my younger relatives and tell them stories of how the past can influence the future to evolve and be more imaginative when creating something that’s going to be a big spark to people who share a common interest with each other.

How does it fit into the evolution of games?
          This game has shown that technology can evolve from a 2D perspective into a 3D one. Video games are always constantly growing and evolving no two games are the same. Each game has its own unique design and art style, some games are being made into 2D games again just for the nostalgic roots of the way games used to be played and some are being made to be more realistic of the real world. The gaming world will never stop growing or evolving as long as there is creative side of what artistic people can do.

5 Stars

Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
            Kingdom Hearts 1

Game Author (if known)
            Tetsuya Nomura and Shinji Hashimoto

Game Studio
            SquareSoft (Now SquareEnix)

Original Platform
            PlayStation 2

Original control mechanism when game was released.
            PlayStation 2 controller

Control mechanism you used.
            PlayStation 4 controller

No difference controls are the same, so it was easy for me to play the game without any complications.

Describe the game play and mechanics.
            The story is about a boy name Sora, who lost his home and his friends to “darkness,” you team up with Disney greatest characters Donald and Goofy, to help you find your friends and the King who is Mickey Mouse, while defeating the greatest Disney villains, such as Maleficent. While traveling to different Disney Worlds where you meet rememberable character from Disney movies that you grew up with, while meeting remarkable Final Fantasy characters you played in SquareSoft games. The mechanics of the game is action role-playing while using hack and slash attacks. You also have side characters that are program controlled non-playable characters that can aid you in your quest while defeating enemies. The game has real-time combat that lets you use physical attack, magic, summoning, and various other items to help you defend yourself against main boss battles or general low skilled enemies. In this game you can also pilot a ship that can get across different worlds and defeat enemies as you navigate through space. There are also side quests that you can participate in to get you some rare items or powerful weapons to use. This game has so many features and hidden treasures that it makes enjoyable for audience of all ages to play again and again.

Describe the strength and weakness of art and design.
            The strength of this game that it has beautiful art style, each Disney World you travel to stays true and iconic to its Disney Movie, no two worlds you visit are the same. The game plays like a Final Fantasy or role-playing game where the main character or characters must find a main goal in order to defeat the game.
            The weakness of this game is none, this game is perfectly designed to capture all players who enjoy Disney and Final Fantasy character, this is and still the best game ever, there is nothing like it or ever will be.

What made it fun?
            What makes this game fun, that it has Disney and Final Fantasy character that you meet in the game. The first time I saw this game I had to get it because it was literally Final Fantasy meets Disney and out of this relationship was their baby Kingdom Hearts. You have fun interacting with different characters in the worlds you go to, each world having its own conflict and how to solve it, the worlds you travel to play almost like the Disney movies you grew up with while joining forces with some of the Disney character to help you save their world. This game is beautifully design and the cutscenes in the beginning and ending of the game are magical animated and the writing of the story is also amazing.
            Now that you’ve played it, why would this game be considered influential? How does it fit into the evolution of games?
            The game is influential for it shows that two different companies can co-exist and create a beautiful masterpiece and used their characters help build more of an audience while producing a new one to link everyone together in collaboration. Kingdom Hearts has proven that cross over games can be good idea when bringing two different video games that have never meet before becoming a reality.

How would you rate this game (1-5 stars (5 stars good))?
            5 stars
            Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
              Halo 1

Game author (If known)
              Jason Jones

Game Studio
              Bungie(Microsoft)

Original Platform
              Xbox1

Xbox 1 Controller

Computer Keyboard

Playing with the Xbox controller would of been great however I don't own an Xbox and only have a desktop for the time being.

Its a first person shooter, viewed in first persons view where you only see the weapon in your hand. Just like any FPS game you target enemies in front of you and used different weapons at your disposal.
              You can also multi-play with other people throughout the world, making it the most successful online game to play with others.

The strength of this game that is very role playing, you explore different environments and defeat enemies, while finding items to help you defeat your enemies.
              The weakness it didn't see any weakness to this game since this is my first time playing it, the game did very well for the time it was created and release and why it was so popular back in the day and still is, if you're a big fan.

What made it fun?
              Shooting targets is what made it fun and finding different weapons to shoot your enemies. I like exploring the different worlds and just enjoying the environment int he game very sci-fi and beautify art style.

This game is considered influential for how popular it became in just the short about of time it was released, because of this game the company Rooster Teeth was started and the content they made based off this game ended up reaching many viewers. This game became so phenomenal that more games where created to a top selling franchise. Even I go shopping at Walmart I'll still see toys or shirts being sold to fans who want to purchase them. Especially when I go to Anime/Comic Conventions, I'll see a lot of people cosplay like Master Chief or their own unique style of a Halo character. It's really marvelous how, this game became so influential in the short of 20 years in was created.

Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
                Metal Gear 4

Game author (If known)
                Hideo Kojima

Game Studio
                Konami

Original Platform
                PS3

PS3

PS3

Describe game soundtrack.
                Metal Gear 4 music sounds and plays like a movie, every cutscene, environment, or character has its own theme and tone of where the game is taking a place. The music reminds me of James Bond or Mission Impossible movie where the soundtrack can get dramatic and intense in some parts of the film. The game itself almost feels like a movie with the screenwriting being very closely related to a film. No two music in the soundtrack are the same, if you're not familiar with the Metal Gear series or listen to its music, you probably thought you were listening to a cinema soundtrack. Which is one of the reasons why The Metal Gear Series is very popular because of its soundtrack and its iconic enemy alert sound.

Describe strengths & weaknesses of the soundtrack
                The strength of the music is played like a Spy movie where some parts of the game can become very intense and action filled, while some of it can be soft and settling. The music can motivate the player to progress through the game to reach the goal of the area there in or become more alert when facing enemies or engaging in boss battles.

The weakness of the soundtrack none

What made it fun?
                The music is very badass and energic, the way it would sound like if it were a movie. It's very action pack and full of intense drama that makes the game so wonderful to play. Sometimes I play The Metal Gear Series just for its soundtrack alone it very soul absorbing and you find yourself lost in the tempo of the music and make you wish you were inside the game itself.

Now that you’ve listen to it, Why would this game soundtrack be considered influential? How does it fit into the evolution of games?
                Metal Gear has always been influential since it was first created back in the 90s, the PS1 Game of Metal Gear became so phenomenal with its iconic with its enemy alert sound and codec sound, that it's become a ringtone for people to use on their phone when getting phone call or text message. The music itself is brilliant because it sounds just like a movie would, full of tension, drama, and romance, every scene has a different musical tone which doesn't disappoint the gamers, who are a big fan of this game.

How would you rate this game soundtrack (1-5 Stars (5 stars good))
                5 the music is that good
                Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
                  UnderTale (Indie)

Game author (If known)
                  Toby Fox

Game Studio
                  none

Original Platform
                  PC

PC Keyboard

PS4 controller, the game is playable on the PlayStation network and can be played on any console, there only difference is that you have a controller in your hands and not tapping on the keyboard and clicking the mouse, when playing it on the computer.

You play as a genderless child that has somehow wonder into a forest and fell into a hole on a mountain that is full of monsters that want to kill you, the player has the choice to name the child whatever you wish but the kid's real name is Frisk. Anyways, your goal in the game is to escape from this underworld full of monster but also trying to help them escape for too are trapped inside this mountain from humans whole seal them away after a war with the monster had with them many years ago. Depending on your choices whether to save the monster or not in the game can have multiple endings for you to have. The mechanics are very unique when playing this game, during a battle, the players control a small red heart that represents their soul. The gamer may choice to attack or spare their opponent, if you defeat your enemy or gain LOVE (Level of Violence) or level up if not you don't gain any EXP. This game is very complex and full of layers for fans to come up with their own theories to figure out why the game is the way it is.

The strength of the game is that you have the choice if you want to spare or kill your opponent and depending on your actions of your decision you make throughout the game you can have multiply endings. Making the player either good person or a bad person.

The weakness of the game if you choose not to kill your opponent, you better make sure you good at dodging their attacks, which can be frustrating if you're a first-time player at this game. Without gaining EXP you cannot level up to be strong enough to defeat your opponent, who may be stronger than you. Which can make the game very difficult if you're not too good at dodging attacks which some enemies and bosses can do at a face pace if you're not paying attention.

This game became influential on how to break the genre of what game is, not every ending is going to be a good one and sometimes the hero can be the villain. This game gives you consequences for your actions and how you cannot take it back if you choose to kill your opponent. It also breaks the fourth wall, where the game knows that there is player, messing with the world. This game broke and rewrote on how a game should or should not be played, it makes the player question every move and motive when progressing throughout the game. This style of creativity in the Undertale game makes a game designer think outside the box, that not every game is going to be simple as you think it is.

Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
                    Among Us (Mobile)

Game author (If known)
                    Marcus Bromander

Game Studio
                    Innersloth

Original Platform
                    IOS and Android

Player's own personal phone

My own phone

Among Us is a multiplayer game where the player is cartoon style astronaut, where the game's AI chooses randomly whether the player is a crewmate or imposter. Crewmates are in charge of performing tasks that are giving to them in order to defeat the game or figuring out who's the imposter on their team. While the imposter are in charge of killing and sabotaging the other crewmates and environment to defeat the game. Imposter can also gain access into vents to help them kill people. Whenever a crewmate is spotted dead, the game goes into a chat room to figure out who the imposter is, by talking to each other in the game does the player have the options of voting to see who the imposter is to defeat the game. Once all players have voted to see who the imposter is, the game tallies up the votes to see who the imposter is and ejects the assumed imposter off the grid thus, determining to see if that person was the imposter or not. The game is very easy to play for all you do is run around completing task that are giving to you or murdering one of your crewmates.

The strength of this game is that everyone can come together in chat room to discuss who the imposter is, depending on who saw the person killing someone can get the imposter ejected out of the game.

The weakness of this game that if someone saw you killing someone or coming out of the vents, does the imposter get call out in the chat room, making the game tedious and unenjoyable because of the player low sneaking skill to kill someone, this can make the game end in minutes if the imposter is not careful on how they kill someone.

What made it fun?
                    What makes this game fun is how funny the chats can be when people suspect who the imposter is. Also, when you're the imposter and you get a chance to kill someone there is an animation sequence on how you got to kill a crewmate, some of the animation if brutal but funny to keep the gamer entertain.

This game became influential during the covid year when everyone was separated and quarantine for each other. The amount of YouTube videos and reviews became positive for gamers during this time because it shows that even though we were separated by a worldwide event, we maintain togetherness through gaming which brought everyone a bit of happiness during a time of grief. This fits into the evolution of games because it shows that through online gaming, we can be there for people who are going through rough patch in their life and talk to one another in a world where reality doesn't exist that you can free to be who want to be and have others support you for who you are, while sharing your love of games with each other.

Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
                      Metal Gear 4 (PS3)

Game author (If known)
                      Hideo Kojima

Game Studio
                      Konami

Original Platform
                      PS3

PS3 Controller

PS4 Controller, play the game on my PS4

It is the Final Chapter of the main character Solid Snake, who has rapidly age for being an experimental clone of a man name "Big Boss," the gameplay is still the same as been since the first MG1 game, where you sneak around and use stealth as your kill tactic to destroy your enemies, however there are more tactics on how to sneak around and kill enemies such as a camouflage suit to help you blend in the environment, a new eye patch accessory to help you see in dark areas and helps you see things far away, and a mini robot companion you can call upon whenever you need to sneak up on an enemy or get into a place that too dangerous for you to enter. There are new characters in the game as well as old ones from the previous games, who all help on your missions.

The strength of the game are the new accessories that you obtain in the game such as the camouflage suit that makes you blend into any environment that make you nearly invisible when sneaking upon an enemy. This is my favorite accessory when I'm playing the game no matter what the environment is the suit changes into the texture your body is press against whether it be organic or man made the suit can change into the form of the surface that you place yourself against. The art style is more realistic giving the environment and characters more realism when interacting with them.

What made it fun?
                      This game still upholds to its traditional gameplay of stealth that hardcore fans love since the beginning of MG1. MG4 gives you not only the old characters from previous MG Games but you also meet new ones, who are all connect to each to other. It also gives the final closure between Solid Snake and Big Boss and ends in a beautiful ending where all characters have their own happily ever after. The soundtrack in this game just as amazing as the gameplay where the music makes you feel you're watching a movie.

This game has become influential because even though something is old it never really becomes old you can still have a good time playing the same game and adding a few new adjustments to make it better. The Metal Gear Series had become a worldwide phenomenon game that anybody who had played the games know the iconic sounds of Snake's Codec ringing and the enemy alert sound. This game had advance AI system way before its time and became even better as more games came out. It fits into the evolution of games that you can have a good sneaking and stealth game without the player shooting an enemy to defeat them. Sometimes avoiding a battle is a good skill if you don't want to be caught by the enemy and sometimes it can be a good thing if it means rationing your supplies.

Valerie Barajas

Comment

Name of Game
                        Kingdom Hearts 3(PS4)

Game author (If known)
                        Tetsuya Nomura

Game Studio
                        Square Enix

Original Platform
                        PS4

PS4

PS4 Controller

No, only played the game on the PS4 console

You play as a young man name Sora who goes through different Disney Worlds to defeat evil entities know as heartless who use dark powers to destroy the world that they invade themselves in. The game play is still the original mechanics as the previous games using a hack and slash combat system as well as using a three-party fight system in order to destroy your enemies. Just as before, you can use magic, summoning, and various items and accessories to help you become defeat your enemies or become stronger. There are new worlds with each of owns specific gameplay elements that allow you to navigate through its own environment. No two worlds are the same and the open world environment is bigger and wider for you to explore. There are various mini-games that you can play and as well as different side quests.

The strength of the game is that there are new abilities you gain as you progress through the game. I like how the game designers added Disney theme park rides as one of your attack skills. The art style still has the traditional Disney cartoon feel with more realistic form to it. I enjoy how each Disney World has gotten more bigger for you to explore with little secrets for you to unlock.

The weakness of the game is that it has become a little bit more realistic in art style, the previous games were very low poly hand painted stylize textures which made the game fun back in the day. However, in the new game there's not a whole lot of creativity when designing the Disney Worlds, except for the Pirates of the Carribean World, which is a live action movie, which I can understand for it is a realistic world, but the other Disney worlds don't feel that cartoony at all. It lacks bright and colorful color pallets and has a more saturated look upon it. Story writing is pretty bad, in some of the worlds you enter you don't get the full story that is supposed to be going on you meet the characters halfway through the original story that the movie is based upon. Also, KH3 took a long while for it to finally come out and be released on the PS4, it was supposed to come on PS3 but skipped that console and went to 4, it took 13 years for KH3 to come out only for it to be a disappointment, writing was terrible.

What made it fun?
                        This game still is able to keep the player enjoying the Disney Worlds and being a part of it's original story line and helping each character solve their problems. The game has old characters from the previous game and well as new one. You never know who you gonna run into next.

This game became influential when the first game came out back in 2002 and instantly became phenomenal, the cross between Disney character as well as Final Fantasy character made a positive impact between Disney fans and Square Enix fans, the alliance between two different companies to create a cross mixture of each of its own characters, was beautiful done in creative style as well as gameplay. It's considered one of most popular games in the PlayStation consoles and still continues to be play.

3, writing was terrible, I hope I don't have wait another 10+ years for the 4th game to come out.​
                        Valerie Barajas

Comment

Working...
                        X