Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class 08/29: If you can’t do it intentionally, you don’t own it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 08/29: If you can’t do it intentionally, you don’t own it

And if it looks wrong, even if it’s right, it’s wrong. And if it looks right, even if it’s wrong, it’s right.

Assignment (due 08/31 noon)
    Post an image in this thread that you love, and a paragraph describing why you love it.

Alexa Munoz

The piece I have chosen is called, "A Huguenot, on St. Bartholomew's Day". Two people, despite everything in the world going against them, still choose to be in love. This piece specifically is based on a massacre of protestants in the 1500s, the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, where over 20,000 protestants were murdered. The woman, a Catholic, trying to protect her lover, embraces him to try and put on a white armband around him declaring his allegiance to Roman Catholicism. The man on the other hand, is a protestant and comforts her while taking off the armband gently. He not only shows that he isn't afraid of who he is but how much he loves and care for the woman and vise versa. Love is truly the most powerful emotion in the world, but that doesn't mean it always wins. A forbidden lover's troupe, almost like Romeo and Juliet. So I love this piece for the emotion depicted, the beauty, and the message it portrays.

Comment

Eladio Yvarra

My favorite media genre of all time is the tokusatsu genre. Tokusatsu is a term for live-action shows that rely heavily on special effects. Examples of this genre are shows and movies like Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Power Rangers, and Godzilla. I love everything about this genre, be it the creative designs for the heroes, villains, and monsters, the climatic fight sequences, or the character/ story writing that can invoke emotions to the viewer watching it. Tokusatsu is my inspiration for what I want to do/create in my modeling career. I want to create over the top designs/crazy designs for characters like the ones in the image. This image represents my inspiration and what I wish I can make in the future.

Comment

Alyssa Campa

This piece is from an underrated artist I follow on instagram. I love their use of shading and the design of the character. A lot of the love from the piece comes from knowing the character and his lore, but also from design alone. The shading the artist has is kind of simple but in a way that makes it look unique and attractive to the eye. Their coloring style works well with their intentionally messy line art and brings together the effortless nature of the piece. The character gives off a mysterious, yet prince-like aura, and his accessories as well as delicate shawl gives misleading insight to how he actually is and where he came from. (artist is 9ulks on instagram)

Comment

janiah thomas

Ayami Kojima's artwork is something to be experienced. Whether it is through the original Castlevania games or through the series available on Netflix (with a new season coming soon [not sponsored]) I'm a rather big fan of that sort of sacrilegious and melancholy type of style, my favorite games revolving around those aspects as well, Ayami Kojima's work does an amazing job of capturing that feel of fantasy horror and beauty. This work of Kojima's in particular throughout the Castlevania series is truly eyecandy when it comes to the softness of the characters, the subtle linework with muted colors just fuels my drive to better my own work. The ability to allow the viewer to feel the texture of his work with only your eyes further enhances the talent put into one piece.

Comment

I absolutely adore James Gurney’s creations of Dinotopia, this piece being a highlighted favorite, named the “Garden of Hope.” The idea of dinosaurs living cohesively alongside humans is bizarre, yet precious in how he illustrates his work. With the dreamy pastel color palette and delicate women dressed in flowy gowns, the image still displays elegance and fragility despite a dinosaur in the frame. Dinosaurs are pretty imaginative creatures, portrayed toward younger audiences, fueling their minds with curiosity; though the majority of Gurney’s work is directed at adults, illustrating realistic civilizations with humans and dinosaurs in a kind, unified utopia. Dinosaurs are on a spectrum between fantasy and reality, as we can only envision them with our imaginations- I believe Gurney’s work is a true gift, bringing dinosaurs to life for the audience to see.

Comment

My image that I chose is of "Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper. While this image is very complex with the color pallet that it uses I feel as if the painting is very simple. It depicts four individuals that find themselves at a diner that looks to be late at night. It makes me wonder what these individuals are doing here at this time of night where all is quiet. This image also gives me a sense of calmness. Usually in a big city it is always loud and this image seems to be very calm and collect. I do also love the lighting in the diner where the focal point is. It makes me think of the light in the darkness.

Comment

Carlos Razo

My favorite artist is Chuck Baird. He use to paint about experiencing through his deaf-hood life. This is one of my favorite painting and he called, "Left and Right". The left and right hands represent meaning as he used colors for each meaning.
                He didn't explain his artwork under his painting but Nancy Rourke explained the meaning of each color for the audience to recognize it and understand it better the way she sees it.
                Red means Empowerment, Yellow means Hope, Light blue means community, and Dark Blue means AUDISM. The Black and Gray have different meanings in her opinion but in my view, I see that the Black and Gray are the lack of information, misunderstanding, difficulty in communication, noise distraction, etc. Both of the hands bring in the feeling of life in our surroundings but in the middle, there's a chair with some flowers which means confidence and accepting of who you are. Under Chuck Baird's biography, he said a quote that I always keep in mind, “I am no longer interested in whether I am a Deaf artist or an artist who happens to be deaf. I have accepted being either cultured Deaf or hard of hearing; that’s fine with me. But what makes me an artist, that really matters..."
                Last edited by cRazo; August 30, 2022, 23:28.

Comment

Ryeesa Edge

This artwork is called Adam from an artist named WLOP. The art shows a woman that appears to be an angel holding a scythe. The light is shining directly behind the character, and it makes the eyes focus on her. I like how the colors are shades of purple, reds and blues. The image seems to show life being created, or being born, because of person reaching out of the ground. But in a way, it could also symbolize death because the woman is holding a scythe. The name of the image is Adam, so it appears to have symbolism to Christianity. It can make a person wonder if the image shows the afterlife and being born again after death. It is a beautiful art piece.

Comment

This piece is called Glorious age by the artist Stu_dts. I like this piece because it is for one of my favorite video game Dark Souls. The piece shows the four knights of Gwyn and Gwyn himself in the background, all during the war against the Dragons. The lighting and coloring is used really well to show both them being in their prime and showing the scale of the great war. I also appreciate this piece a bit more because I know all of these characters and the little details that each character has. I also appreciate how everything looks dull, much like how the game is.

Comment

Jacob Cuevas

Out of all Edvard Munch’s work, “The Scream” has to be one of the most unique, expressive, and iconic of them all. Design wise, I truly appreciate the warm and cool colors contrasting the dark center of the art piece. What is also amazing is how the piece isn’t just blended colors nor was it made to look realistic but rather, the colors seem to move together in strokes, giving the illusion of life but in a more twisted style. The thing I like most about the scream is the expression and movement of the person in the middle because it gives this artwork its meaning. Peaceful elements fade into the background while the fear and dread take the spotlight.

Comment

Working...
                      X