Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F.A.Q.: CART Majors

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.A.Q.: CART Majors

I'm a CART major. Do I need a computer?
    Presently you needn't buy your own computer. There are limited lab hours during which you can work in the same lab as classes are taught. There are also other high-access labs on campus including the Media Center that have very liberal hours allowing you to work on homework or round out your portfolio.

What kind of computers are you using as part of the CART program?
    Our primary computers are Wintel machines. Our video and special effects courses make heavy use of a small high-end Mac lab with some specific software. As a major, you should have the opportunity to work with both platforms.

Do I need to take the Computer Literacy Course if I'm a CART major?
    No. As a CART major, you fulfill the university's computer literacy requirement when you complete CART 1301 – Introduction to Computer Graphics.

When should I begin taking CART courses?
    Right away. Entering freshman are encouraged to begin taking courses as part of the CART curriculm (CART 1301 and CART 1302). If you're not a freshman, please see your advisor as soon as possible to work out a plan to make sure you get in all the courses you need to graduate.

When do I need to decide what my area of emphasis is?
    By the start of your Junior year, you should probably have a good idea of what you want to do with the CART program. There is always cross-pollination; web designers should take a 3D class or two, 3D folks should absolutely take CART 2300 Graphic Design I: Basic Web Design. But, by your Junior year, its time to become the master of your particular trade. We want to help students be the best at their area.

Are there any sort of paid internships available to earn money while I'm a student?
    Quite a few actually. We get several calls every month looking for paid interns to work in the business. We don't even pass on unpaid internships unless they are with an extremely large company that provides very unique opportunities.

There are also opportunities to act as lab consultants to help students during lab hours and future possibilities of earning some money as part of the Clocktower Designs organization.

Are there any clubs associated with the CART program?
    There is. Clocktower Designs is the graphic design club of UIW. Through Clocktower Designs, we earn money for travel and provide hands on client-based experience for our advanced students. However, all CART majors are invited to join and be part of this growing organization. Watch for links in the near future to provide more information about Clocktower Designs.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page
Working...
X