• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Garcia - Game Journals

Name of Game
    Mancala

Origins
    Ancient Origins (6000 BC, 1400 BC, & 600 AD) - Earliest known traces of Mancala were found in Africa, however, remnants of Mancala boards have been found all over the world spreading to the Middle East, Asia, and eventually the rest of the world. 

Original Platform & control mechanism
    Mancala boards carved in rock surfaces and other stone structures were found in Eritrea and Ethiopia. These boards often feature rows of small pits, indicating the game’s playing field.

Control mechanism you used
    Wooden Mancala board and glass-like gems when I was a child. Web browser version used today.

Would the experience have been different using the original? How?
    Yes, the construction and setting of the game provide distinct experiences. Playing Mancala with modern manufactured boards and pieces is quite different from playing it in an ancient setting, where boards were carved into rock surfaces and small pits were filled with pebbles

Describe gameplay and mechanics
    A Mancala board consists of two rows of small pits, with six pits per row. 12 pits in total. It is a two player game where each player controls one row of the six pits. At each end of the board, there is a larger pit known as the store, where captured pieces are kept. The pieces are traditionally stone, but can be gems, marbles, rocks, etc. To start the game, four pieces are placed in each of the twelve small pits and the stores are initially empty. Each player manages their own six pits and the store on their side of the board. Each player takes turns picking up pieces from one of their pits and drops one in each subsequent pit, including their own store but skipping the opponent's store. If the last piece lands in an empty pit on your side, you capture it and any stones in the opposite pit. The game ends when all pits on one side are empty. The player with the most pieces in their store wins.

Describe strengths & weaknesses of art & design

The timeless nature of Mancala is partly due to the accessibility of its art and design. The game’s simple design allows for broad artistic expression, from traders playing in dirt pits with rubble to intricately carved wooden African boards. The variety in it’s visual aesthetics is immeasurable due to the minimalistic nature of the game. However, this minimalism can also make the design of the game feel repetitive if played too often. Despite having the potential for the most beautifully designed boards, the game's simplicity in both art and design can lead to a lack of replayability.

What made it fun?

For me, working towards an opening that allows for success and strategic thinking requiring foresight was always fun. Planning several moves ahead kept me engaged. I haven’t played long enough to predict my opponent’s strategy, but blocking them presented a fun challenge. I enjoyed the game’s pace, as adjusting the tempo added to its replayability. "Speed runs," where both players move rapidly, offered a stark contrast to the original slow-paced, prediction-based gameplay. The tactile nature of moving pieces into the pits added a sensory element that enhanced my experience. I'm a huge fan of tangible boards and pieces, the digital version in a web browser wasn't quite as enjoyable. There's something about tactile games that always feels more fun in real life than in a digital format.

Now that you’ve played it, Why would this game be considered influential? How does it fit into the evolution of games?

Mancala can be considered influential because of its ancient origins, spanning many cultures and centuries. As one of the oldest known games, I can imagine how it may have impacted numerous other strategy games. The game's resource management and turn-based strategy mechanics are seen in many modern games today. Mancala teaches basic principles of planning and foresight, which are key skills in game theory and design. Mancala sets a standard for balancing accessibility and strategic complexity. It shows how a game can be both easy to learn and hard to master. Mancala’s long-lasting popularity highlights the timeless appeal of well-designed strategic gameplay.

How would you rate this game (1-5 Stars (5 stars good))​
    I have a nostalgic connection to the game. 5/5​
Working...
X