Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mfa Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mfa Question?

If I get my MFA in another art field can I still teach computer graphics classes, or do I have to get my MFA in computer graphics?

It largely depends on where you are looking to teach. however, in general, ,MOST universities require your terminal degree to be in the area that you are teaching.

You couldn't get a Ph.D in physics and then try and get a job teaching biology....

Further, most universities are now requiring not only an MFA in the graphic design area, but 18 graduate credit hours in each area you are teaching within graphic design (i.e. if you want to teach a web design course, you must have 18 hours specifically in web design, etc....). But it's always predicated on an MFA in graphic design.

Comment

MFA? At UTSA

Ok let’s play devils advocate here for a minute, so that way I can understand what your saying. If I took my MFA at UTSA with an emphasis on photography, then I probably couldn’t find a job teaching computer graphics. I would have to take an additional 18 hours to teach web design, or 3d design.

But if I went ahead and got my MFA with an emphasis on web design then I wouldn’t have a problem.

Also would I have to take some additional courses just to teach in the first place?

I know that it is none of my business, but do you have a MFA in computer graphics?

The reason I am considering taking my MFA in another field is because it would be hard for me to relocate. Plus I have not found a place in the area beside Houston that has an MFA in Graphics Arts.

Comment

Re: MFA? At UTSA

Originally posted by BigPoppaPump
        Ok let’s play devils advocate here for a minute, so that way I can understand what your saying. If I took my MFA at UTSA with an emphasis on photography, then I probably couldn’t find a job teaching computer graphics. I would have to take an additional 18 hours to teach web design, or 3d design.
        No, if you got an MFA in Photography, you wouldn't be able to get a job teaching computer Graphics at most schools no matter how many web, print, or 3D credits you have.

To get any job teaching graphics, your degree must be in Graphic Design and you must have 18 hours specifically in the areas that you are going to teach (within graphic design).

But if I went ahead and got my MFA with an emphasis on web design then I wouldn’t have a problem.
        If you got a degree in Web Design (which would probably actually be a degree in Graphic Arts or Graphic Design with and emphasis in Web) you would definitly have 18 graduate credits in web. However, if you didn't get 18 credit hours in print design - even though your degree was in graphic design - you may not be able to teach print courses (this depends on where you work).

Also would I have to take some additional courses just to teach in the first place?
        Not sure what you're asking here. For college level instruction, there are no "education" courses beyond the courses required for the MFA.

I know that it is none of my business, but do you have a MFA in computer graphics?
        Yep. Mike, Denny and I all have MFA's in graphic design. Each of us specialized within our degree (Mike-Web, Denny- Print, and me-3D). If we didn't have those degrees and the 18 hours of specialization credits, none of us would be teaching here.

The reason I am considering taking my MFA in another field is because it would be hard for me to relocate. Plus I have not found a place in the area beside Houston that has an MFA in Graphics Arts.
        It is true. MFA's in graphic arts are few and far between in Texas. This is part of the reason why MFA in graphics are so highly sought among colleges right now. Nationwide, there are lots of Graphic Arts MFA programs - all are highly competitive, but graduates who plan to teach almost all are assured employment. However, in all cases, folks have relocated to study and then relocated again to work. Neither Mike, Denny or I are local to San Antonio; the work brought us here.

As with anything there are always exceptions. You might find a state community college who would hire someone without a graphic design MFA (because many state schools aren't as interested in accredidation). However, all major accrediting agencies require this; so a school that would hire you without the appropriate degree would be highly suspect; and you would want to think really carefully about lending your name to such a place.

Comment

I second what Adam said.

There's a teacher over at a local CC who is getting his MFA in Drawing from UTSA... he asked me this same question.

The answer is the same.
          ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

RELOCATION IS A MUST!

well that puts things into prospective. I really want to teach web design, but i do not have the slightest clue how to begin to relocate. born and bread in SA - and first generation graduate would be student. let me ask a another question, so how was your process of relocating!

I would asume first get accepted in the program.

what about test like the GRE? can i just take some other kind of test like the map test. I think that's what it's called.

that will really help me alot.

Comment

Well BBP, I went to school everytime I went.

My first three years were spent in and small little community college about 2-3 hours south of my hometown (I was married by the end of those three years, but no kids yet). Then I transfered to USU which was 2-3 hrs north.

That was a big move. Being married meant that I had more stuff to haul, needed an apartment that we could grow into, and the location had to be near campus since we only had one car. We moved once more while in Logan, but those were minor. The great thing about smaller State Schools with good programs is the cost of living for a student. In Logan, our 2 bedroom/1 bath 900-square-foot apartment was about $475 a month (including heat), alot cheaper than here in SA. We could easily get by on around $1000 a month (and we had no ca payment which helped).

Some schools offer their graduate students assistantships somewhere on campus (between $10,000 and $13000 a year). I worked in a Faculty Lab helping faculty create media presentations and web sites, while Adam managed Computer Labs on campus.

Things might be tight as first, but they always are as students.

When we relocated to SA it really wasn't all that difficult, other than our truck was 5 days late (which is a whole other story). Having Adam here and him knowing the area really helped us in the short time we had to get adjusted. That was much appreciated.

After getting here, we settled in really quick, made some friends and kind of go into the swing of things.

Research the area, get ready to pay for the moving expenses, and look a the schools in the area (for your kids). As a married person, you need to take alot more into consideration when making decisions like this.

Adam and I have told you before to really check out USU (www.usu.edu), they take their applications around the end of the year and Logan is a great town to spend the 2-3 years. Tuition is no more than $1300-$1500 a semester for a full set of classes with residency, but higher for out-of-staters (but after the first year you can get residency). All you have to take to apply is the MAT (Miller's Analogy Test; Adam : 3D :: Mike : Web), not the GRE, although you can.

The community is nice, there is a great hospital, good schools, lots of sun in the Summer, lots of snow in the Winter (that's the white cold stuff that falls out the sky that you've seen on TV) and hardly any humidity.

Relocating might seem scary at first, but its quite the adventure.

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Do appericate the info.

well mc,

thanks for the words of encouragment, and i really do appercaite it very much. i am seriously looking into getting my MFA, so i might need some letters of recomendation from you guys.

yeah it is scary to move out of town, and even though I am not a racist. I just fear running into racist people. I fear racismism! I could never understand the race issue. But it is out there and so living at home has made it very comfortable for me. I am safe!

anyways...

Thanks MC.

Comment

Re: Do appericate the info.

Originally posted by BigPoppaPump
                  yeah it is scary to move out of town, and even though I am not a racist. I just fear running into racist people. I fear racismism! I could never understand the race issue. But it is out there and so living at home has made it very comfortable for me. I am safe!
                  That's a valid fear, and its not unwarranted, but its something that you'll have to overcome. There are gonna be folks like that everywhere you go (and I've seen/heard a few in TX).

Like I said, its an adventure.

As for a letter of recommendation, let me know when you are ready.

Comment

Moving is most definitely an intimidating venture. Some things to do...

1) Make sure that before you accept any acceptance, that you visit the city. Get a feel for it. Get lost in it. Have another grad student give you the low-down on where to live and what's affordable.

2) Get in touch with your church in that city. Whatever religiion you are; it will give you an immediate family and support group as soon as you get there.

3) As for tests. Check with the grad schools you are looking at. Some require the GRE, other's require the Miller, and others require other tests. Don't take (or pay) for any tests you don't need to take.

4) Be sure to realize that most times, acceptance into a grad program is nearly 95% reliant on your portfolio. Graphic programs are highly competitive and they review your portfolio fairly closely before acceptance. Be sure to have that portfolio packaged well and in a format that will be easy for a group to look at. This might mean outputting your stuff in slides, or creating a digital slide show.

5) Above all, remember that acceptance into grad school often takes place 8,9 or even 12 months before the start of the semester. Many grad schools' deadlines will be this month or next. Be looking really closely at the deadlines for any schools you are interested in.

Also remember that there are good people and people who are idiots everywhere. There are racists in San Antonio, and racists in Montgomery, Alabama, and racists in Denver, Colorado. But in all of those places there are also lots of really fine folks. There is intolerance everywhere, but don't let those who are intolerant define your future. I've traveled all over the world and lived in 5 states and 4 countries; and the suprising thing I've found about all of those places is how good human-kind really is.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for the support! the both of you have some really good points that I will try to remember before I jump into Grad school. I just finished 90% of my web site, and plan to add some more stuff to it.

houston's deadline is the Feb 15, 2004 for the fall of 2004

in fact i contacted Cathy Hunt UH today, who is in charge of the Computer Graphics department in Houston, and she will be mailing me some info over there MFA program.

About the slides I do have some questions, but Cathy should be able to help me with that.

I am going to take the chance and see where the chips may fall.

Maybe after it is all said and done, I might work at UIW. who knows?

But houston is not the only place I am looking at. Utah can be another option - and its a good thing my wife is a Mormon! But that is another long story.

Larry
                      Last edited by BigPoppaPump; September 4, 2003, 13:01.

Comment

UH FeedBack!

This is what Cathy had to say about some of the questions I asked.

Larry,

(1.) The admissions process is competitive.

(2.) The number of applicants varies from year to year, as does the number of openings in the program. The degree of competitiveness is relative and I am not in a position to rate it.

(3.) You are required to take the GRE.

Cathy Hunt

Comment

To the original question, I would say "yes". I took a class once that combined Photoshop and traditional canvas painting. At least at my school (besides the graphic designers) the painters seemed the most interested in digital technology, mostly as a tool to come up with new compositions. You might see more crossover in some areas, between ceramics/sculpture or drawing/painting, but anything is possible: painting/ceramics, photography/sculpture, sculpture/video... Generally speaking I would say that in the fine arts you are encouraged to move around, always look to expose yourself to new ideas, new tools, media, situations, etc.
                          KnowingArt.com

Comment

Working...
                          X