Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bevel makes faces go out of proportion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bevel makes faces go out of proportion

Hi, I'm a freshman still learning how to use Maya 2018.
    I am rebuilding a ship I made in my intro/animation & Game Design course but noticed that when I used the bevel tool, the faces seemed off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ship front.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	329589

As you can see, the faces that are beveled do not line up or have any symmetry. (I did not use the symmetry tool for the faces along the center line. As it would merge and make 1 huge bevel. I need individual ones. When I press 3, the sphere will be smooth and hardly noticeable but I would still like to know how to avoid it for the future,

Click image for larger version

Name:	ship close up.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	329590
    Here's a close up of what I am talking about
    Last edited by Sscharf; September 5, 2017, 16:37. Reason: forgot a picture

Are you actually using Bevel, or the Extrude tool?

If you're using the extrude tool:

1) Select the faces you want to make the windows out of
    2) Activate the Extrude Tool (Cntrl-E)
    3) In the floating dialog box, turn off Keep Faces Together
    4) With the extrude tools manipulator handles still active, click once on any of the scale handles (cubes). This will turn the blue square in the middle of the manipulator into a blue box.
    5) Click and drag that box and it should scale all the selected surfaces relative to their normals. This will keep the new polygon on the face of the old.
    6) Then extrude again, and push all in towards the center of the sphere.

There are other ways to do this, and you might have covered other ways in class. But this is how I'd attack it with the Extrude tool.

Comment

It worked thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X