Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maya menus not the same at home compared to the AD labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya menus not the same at home compared to the AD labs

I noticed this recently, where some of the menus in my maya, at home, are not the same as the mayas on the schools computers. I noticed it when I tried to use the "Merge Vertex Tool" under the "Mesh Tools" tab, it wasn't there, but if I were to open up the "Shift+Right Click" menus while in vertex mode, the tool option appears. I can still access the tool, but its just confusing as to how I'm used to using it or learned it. Is there a default maya menu, like factory settings menus, or a setting that can change the layout of the menus?

By the way, I used the "Merge Vertex Tool" as one example I am not sure if there are other things that are not the same.

Also when I select an object it doesn't highlight in any other view but the perspective so I can't really see what I clicked if I were to be in front view
    Last edited by ZeusBolt11; March 6, 2015, 13:46.

Are you sure you are using Maya 2015 at home? Maya 2015 changes the names of some tools.

The labs should be using the default Maya tools (plus the bonus tools). At home you might try deleting your Maya preferences to get back to factory install.

Comment

Are you sure you are using Maya 2015 at home? Maya 2015 changes the names of some tools.

The labs should be using the default Maya tools (plus the bonus tools). At home you might try deleting your Maya preferences to get back to factory install.

Comment

Yes, it is Maya 2015. Where or how do I delete the Maya preferences, for the factory install?

Comment

C:\Users\YourUsername\My Documents\maya\2015-x64\-----> delete everything in this folder

Comment

Ok, then I just start up maya again?

I opened maya normally

Its still the same, the only way to access the merge vertex tool is by Shift+Right Click...
            Last edited by ZeusBolt11; March 8, 2015, 18:41.

Comment

I suppose you could try and reinstall. Can you post a screenshot of the changed Mesh Tools tab?

Comment

Menu
                Click image for larger version

Name:	MayaScreenshot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	199226

Shift+Right Click
                Click image for larger version

Name:	MayaScreenshot2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	199227

Comment

That's actually how my menu's appear here as well. I think that Maya 2015 has condensed much of the merge Vertices into either the Modeling Toolkit (Mesh Tools>Show Modeling Toolkit) or the Edit Mesh>Merge Components tool.

Comment

Well they are different at the school, it's weird.

Also, when I was looking for the bonus tools, I also read that there are some service packs? Do you think that those might have something to with it? There's like 5, I don't know if they are updated one after the other or 5 different ones?

That is through where I got to the Bonus Tools, I ended up there by going into Maya>Help>Resources and Tools>Download Bonus Tools>"Bonus tools resource page"(Link)

Thats how I got to that page and got the bonus tools, which also mentions the service packs and Legacy bonus tools installers, which I'm not sure if I need them...

Comment

We have the bonus tools installed at school; that might be the difference.

Comment

I just uninstalled the bonus tools, the same way I had just installed them. ^^ Is what I did the correct way to get to and download the bonus tools? If so, so I can reinstall them, if not, how do i get them?

Comment

Just follow that link you posted. It includes the Bonus Tools download link where you can download and install.

Having said that, I just installed them and it didn't change any of the Menu's besides adding the Bonus Tools.

In the short term, just use Merge Components. It does what I think you want it to do; and that's what the standard install looks like (I've checked in on three machines now).

Comment

Just follow that link you posted. It includes the Bonus Tools download link where you can download and install.

Having said that, I just installed them and it didn't change any of the Menu's besides adding the Bonus Tools.

In the short term, just use Merge Components. It does what I think you want it to do; and that's what the standard install looks like (I've checked in on three machines now).

Comment

Okay, thanks for the help. I'll just reinstall the Bonus Tools

Comment

Working...
                              X