Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Crashing Issues with Maya on Home Mac. Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Crashing Issues with Maya on Home Mac. Help Needed

Having worked with loads of programs in my time before, I know to well that animation programs are infamous for their for crashing, especially 3D programs, but this case is different I'm pretty sure. I literally had only 3 cubes on the grid with practically no history other than making said cubes, and as i was extruding the faces of one of the cubes, Maya froze to the point where I had to force it to quit. Literally just setting up a framework cause Maya to crash, and it's not the first time this happened, making working at home hell. I remember having times where i loaded a scene, went to google to research things while it loaded, and when i got back to it the program crashed. Reseting my preferences by clearing out the Maya folder thing doesn't fix it for long neither. At this rate it'll be more about fighting the program then making what's desired. I know i have enough ram for the job, i mean 26 Gigabytes, that seems to be plenty
    I've done a lot of digging, and from what I found is that apparently Maya 2015 is not always Mac friendly. I've heard from other students that Maya doesn't like Mac that much. Not only that, but I've found a lot of things that cause maya to crash, such as maya failing to save in a proper TEMP folder, or something about triple buffering. Though the thing that comes out fairly often is the graphics drive. I've noticed the school has Nvidia with various editor settings. I've downloaded Nvidia of the most recent update for Mac. But get this..apurently most murst recent updates can cause trouble as well, so ain't that grand.
    It's getting to the point where i'm starting to fear doing things in Maya, least at home where i spend most of my time, in fear that Maya will crash while i'm in the middle of starting within the first few minutes of starting, which will make finals, and above all else skill improvement, hell. So i have to ask this, Anyone one knows what makes Maya tick? Especially on Mac Pro desktops. I have a quadcore which i''m sure is 64 bit, and the most recent version of Nvidia Cuda driver, so could someone tell me what's might be going wrong with my mac version of Maya? Or if not, Possibly a good way to Contact some people at AutoDesk To ask about these problems?
    And Ps, I'm 100% certain that these crashes are not normal. They don't occur nearly as often on the school computers. I also think that the problem likely lies more with Maya then my computer, but that's just conjecture.
    PSS, I also upgraded to Mavrics on the Mac, would that cause any issues?
    Javier Santillan

When this Doge hits 88 miles an hour you're gonna see some serious S***

I run Maya on my MacBook pro without much problem. Granted, I do all my heavy lifting in 3D on my PC (cheaper and more stable) - but I open student projects of all complexity on my Mac and things work pretty well (I'm on Maverick as well). We also have a couple of advanced students working on Macs that do all their work on their Macs, and there has never been the problems you're describing.

So, I think that actually the problem is your system. Some things to check:
    1) When you say you reset the Preferences in Maya - what exactly do you mean?
    2) Have you attempted to reinstall Maya?
    3) There are sometimes problems with a faulty RAM stick that can cause the kinds of problems you describe. It's extreme, but you might try removing an individual stick, starting up your machine, running Maya - see if its more stable. If not, put that one back in and remove the next. Cycle through this for all your RAM sticks. Remember, only remove or place RAM when the machine is off.
    4) I'd also run the Mac Disk Utility to make sure all your Hard Drives are healthy, and ensure that all your HD's (including external) are formatted in a way that Mac likes.
    5) After that, it would probably be worth your while to talk with someone at the "Genius" bar at an Apple store and see if they can track down what's happening on a hardware side.

Comment

1) I mean Clearing the Maya folder in the Libary to reset the preferences.
      2) I've had to uninstall Maya and reintall a service pack from AutoDesk for it. The service pack doesn't seem to have affected performance.
      3) Faulty Ram stick? IT might be, but its 3 8 gig sticks and a 2 gig stick that came with the computer. The older card might be the problem, when maya finds 2 gigs rather than 8, because i doubt that it's the newer cards that are causing the issue, because they never caused other animation programs to crash, and i don't think the two cards are faulty.
      4) Disc Utility? Alright, i tried it and it said my External drive had to be repaired, which i did. That might be it, and that i keep forgetting to move my files from my USB drive. OKay i'll try and see if it works better now, though there's no guarantees
      5) The closests Apple store is a bit of a drive away, but if possible i might see what the isuee is.
      Javier Santillan

When this Doge hits 88 miles an hour you're gonna see some serious S***

Comment

Working...
      X