Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can I do blendshapes after binding rig to mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I do blendshapes after binding rig to mesh?

l don't remember if I could, and how do I first do it again? Highlight the faces of the head area, duplicate somehow and detach somehow without adding too much history? I need the beginning steps, I don't remember.

An oldie but a goodie:

Comment

Oh, and it's best if you do the BS setup before skinning.

Comment

what is its already skinned???

Comment

oh!!! is there a way to do the BS on a unbinded version of the mesh and apply it to the binded??

Comment

There are ways to transfer a skin weight map from one mesh to another...but they are a little convoluted.

1) duplicate your mesh (this new version will be detached from the joints).
            2) Hide the old skinned mesh.
            3) Set up your blendshapes as indicated by the video.
            4) Then Skin this new mesh(the one that has all the Blendshapes set up) to the same joint chains.
            5) This is the complicated part (and I honestly can't remember which to select first - I'm not in front of Maya now). (I think) Select the old mesh and then shift select the new mesh and choose Animation|Skin>Copy Skin Weights. Test. If it doesn't work, undo and select the new mesh and then shift-select the old and try copying skin weights again.

Comment

There are ways to transfer a skin weight map from one mesh to another...but they are a little convoluted.

1) duplicate your mesh (this new version will be detached from the joints).
              2) Hide the old skinned mesh.
              3) Set up your blendshapes as indicated by the video.
              4) Then Skin this new mesh(the one that has all the Blendshapes set up) to the same joint chains.
              5) This is the complicated part (and I honestly can't remember which to select first - I'm not in front of Maya now). (I think) Select the old mesh and then shift select the new mesh and choose Animation|Skin>Copy Skin Weights. Test. If it doesn't work, undo and select the new mesh and then shift-select the old and try copying skin weights again.

Comment

i don't remember how i get the teeth to open with the jaw. i plan to just use the bendshape sliders in maya than to make my own, since i'm behind on my animations.

Comment

Oooh. Don't use Maya blendshape sliders - really an awful way to animate (impossible really). Getting the teeth to work with the jaw is reliant on making those NURBS based sliders. Get all your blendshapes set up and rig done (make sure you are referencing the rig in your animation clips), and then on Friday after we finish hanging stuff and moving offices I'll help you write those expressions.

Comment

Working...
                  X