Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Portfolio Review (Submission: 5/6-5/9; Pick up: 5/13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Portfolio Review (Submission: 5/6-5/9; Pick up: 5/13)

Here is the form with the details for the portfolio review.

PRESENTATION & DEADLINES
    All work must be submitted in portfolio case with your name on the outside of the portfolio.

Portfolio’s will be turned in to The Office of the Dean of the School of Media and Design (AD112) between the hours of 9 AM—4:30 PM, Monday May 6 - Thursday May 9. All portfolio’s must be complete and turned in before 5 PM, Thursday, May 3rd in order to be considered for review this year.

Portfolios can be picked up Monday, May 13, 2013, from 9:00am to 2:00pm in AD310. Inside the portfolio you will find a letter with the committees decision. Good luck. - P/C
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ProfClayton; May 11, 2013, 08:06.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Courses

3D Animation Students
    • CART 1100 - Orientation to Computer Graphics
    • CART 1301 - Intro to Computer Graphics
    • CART 1302 - Digital Imaging
    • CART 3321 - History of Animation
    • CART 2301 - 3D I: Modeling
    • ARTS 1301 - Drawing I

Graphic Design Students
    • CART 1100 - Orientation to Computer Graphic
    • CART 1301 - Intro to Computer Graphics
    • CART 1302 - Digital Imaging
    • CART 1380 - Foundations of Digital Design
    • CART 1390 - Typography
    • ARTS 1301 - Drawing I

No work from these classes will be included in the portfolio

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

What is the CART 1301/1302 Book?

One of the things that we are asking you to prepare for this portfolio is a books of the assignments from CART 1301 (Intro) and CART 1302 (Digital Imaging) that were not mounted.

This handout is an itemized list of of the things that you will need to include in the book (a 3-Ring binder with work in protective sheets).

Note: Your Intro Book should be done. You submitted it at the end of the class and it was given back to you. Add the work from the Digital Imaging class and you'll be good to go.
      Attached Files

Comment

Project List for 3D Students

3D 1: Modeling Project List - Lloyd Staples

1. Interior Scene
        2. Game Level
        3. Low-Poly Game Model
        4. Single Mesh Character
        5. Photo-Realistic Head
        6. Final Project
        7. Sketchbook

Please include all Maya files and textures, as well as rendered shots for each project.

On a CD/DVD please include:
        1. Interior Scene
          • research (folder) -> Include scans of research/drawings/stylesheets
          • files (folder) -> Include Maya file and textures
          • renders (folder) -> Include final renders that were turned in for class
        2. Game Level
        3. Low-Poly Game Model
        4. Single Mesh Character
        5. Photo-Realistic Head
        6. Final Project

Comment

Project List for Graphic Design Students

Foundations Project List - Professor Johnson

WORKBOOK

1. PROJECT 1 – POINT
            • Photographs using point
          2. PROJECT 2 – LINE FOUND IN EVERYDAY OBJECTS
            • Find use of line and line direction (implied) within minimum of 5 everyday objects.
          3. PROJECT 3 – LINE AS COMMUNICATION
            • Select an object from the list provided and depict the energy/movement of the object
          4. PROJECT 4 – SHAPE ABSTRACTION
            • Select from one of the provided photos and abstract the object into shapes
          5. PROJECT 5 - PLANE/SPACE/VOLUME
            • Use two different photographs and depict the 3-dimensional space of the object using planes
          6. PROJECT 6 - DESIGN PRINCIPLES – REPETITION RHYTHM AND PATTERN (STAR PROJECT)
            • Using a standard 5-point star create interesting designs/patterns using the basic design principles discussed in class
          7. PROJECT 7 - SCALE, FRAMING & CROPPING
            • Using completed designs from Project 6 use scale, framing, cropping as tools to create more interesting designs
          8. PROJECT 8 - FIGURE/GROUND
            • Continue using scale, framing and cropping to create designs that have figure/ground relationships within the design
          9. PROJECT 9 - TEXTURE
            • Use found objects to created interesting textures
          10. PROJECT 10 - VALUE & COLOR THEORY
            • Color Value Scale
            • Three Pattern Concepts - Overall pattern, transparency, figure/ground reversal
            • Three Color Psychology Concepts - Two word choices and your personal color depiction

MOUNTED PROJECTS

To be posted...

Typography Project List - Professor Fagan

1. Analysis – in folder
          2. Letter combo – mounted
          3. Word play – mounted
          4. Quotes – Mounted part 3, parts 1 and 2 in page protectors
          5. Hierarchy – in note book
          6. Resume and mark – mounted.

Please also include 1-2 project books
          Last edited by ProfClayton; April 11, 2013, 07:44.

Comment

What kind of portfolio case do I need to get?

We get all sort of cases (from leather to paper to vinyl to metal)... but all it really needs to be is a standard size (about 17" x 22") zippered portfolio. Just remember that you are making a first impression.

You can get them just about anywhere, and some places are cheaper than others. I picked one up at Hobby Lobby on sale for $10 a few years ago.

Anything will do really... as long as it is sturdy and won't break on us when we are carrying it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	portfolio1.png
Views:	4
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	192183

Click image for larger version

Name:	portfolio2.png
Views:	4
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	192184

They are available in many sizes, brands, and fabrics/materials and retail between $20-$200.

Please make the size appropriate for the work.

If your biggest board is 16 x 20, then the 17 x 21 or 20 x 26 sizes would be appropriate.

Please check out the following stores:

Comment

What if I am a Transfer Student?

If you are a transfer student you need to submit work that is commensurate with the work that is done our first year courses.

Use the guidelines below when considering work to include in your portfolio:

Graphic Design
              • Projects from classes like Design I, Design II, Basic Design, and Foundations
              --- Show an understanding of dot, line, shape, value, color, texture, scale, etc.
              --- Show an understanding of basic design and Gestalt Principles
              • Projects from classes like Typography (I and II) and/or Layout Design
              --- Show an understanding of basic type selection
              --- Typeface comparison and analysis
              --- Using type as letterforms, words, sentences, paragraphs, single page, etc.
              • Projects from classes like Drawing (I or II), Life Drawing, Still Life Drawing
              --- 3-5 samples of drawings showing sketching skills, gesture drawing, perspective drawing, etc.
              • Projects that show your proficiency in software programs that designers use:
              --- Basic Photoshop (i.e. image manipulation, color correction, resolution v. document, layer management, selections, masks, etc.)
              --- Basic Illustrator (i.e. using shapes, the pen tool, the pathfinder, transform tools, groups, clipping masks, document setup, etc.)

3D Animation
              • Projects from classes like 2D and 3D Animation, Modeling, etc.
              --- Show an understanding of basic 3D skills (modeling, textures, lighting, rendering)
              --- Show skill in character/environment/game research and design
              • Projects from classes like Drawing (I or II), Life Drawing, Still Life Drawing
              --- 3-5 samples of drawings showing sketching skills, gesture drawing, perspective drawing, etc.
              --- Sketchbooks are very, very good (especially when they are full of drawings)
              • Projects that show your proficiency in software programs that designers use:
              --- Basic Photoshop (i.e. image manipulation, color correction, resolution v. document, layer management, selections, masks, texture creation, etc.)
              --- Basic Illustrator (i.e. using shapes, the pen tool, the pathfinder, transform tools, groups, clipping masks, document setup, etc.)
              --- Basic to Intermediate skills in 3D modeling, textures, lighting, rendering (Maya is preferred, but knowledge of 3DS Max, Mudbox, Lightwave, etc is acceptable)

You can make an appointment with me and ask all the questions that you want. My office hours are Tues/Thurs from 3-5pm in AD324.

Comment

So, question. What if we lost the Maya files or Textures to the project? I can still recover the renders, but the file itself is gone...
                The "Earth" without "Art" is just "Eh"

Comment

Do we need 3 binders in total? (1 for Intro, 1 for Digital, and 1 for 3D?) I know it says that we can add on to the Intro binder, but I heard you say something different the other day. Just wanted to clarify.

Comment

What about Professor Johnson's mounted projects? Will they be posted soon or we scrapping that? And from the portfolio review book PDF, under "Mounted Work", whats "Themed Collage"?

Comment

Originally posted by erikmendoza08 View Post
                      What about Professor Johnson's mounted projects? Will they be posted soon or we scrapping that? And from the portfolio review book PDF, under "Mounted Work", whats "Themed Collage"?
                      IF you turned a project in mounted for a class, then turn it in mounted for the review.
                      Someone else will have to answer the collage question. Perhaps someone in class will know.
                      "No cape darling"

Comment

Themed collage was an intro assignment... I think that your subject was Bruce Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Fagan View Post
                          IF you turned a project in mounted for a class, then turn it in mounted for the review.
                          Someone else will have to answer the collage question. Perhaps someone in class will know.
                          Originally posted by ProfClayton View Post
                          Themed collage was an intro assignment... I think that your subject was Bruce Lee.
                          Thank you for your quick responses professors. :)

Comment

When it says we need 3-5 drawings from Drawing I and/or Gestures for Animators, does that mean we HAVE to include work from Drawing I? Or could all the drawings just be from Gestures for Animators if we've taken it?

Comment

Working...
                            X