Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSVC 8 - National Student Show & Conference - April 12-14, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSVC 8 - National Student Show & Conference - April 12-14, 2012

The 8th Annual National Student Show & Conference will be held April 12 –14 at the Radisson Hotel in Dallas Texas.

This is the big one! The only national competition and conference for design, art direction, illustration, and photography students. In our 8th year, we're looking to bring in more students than ever before.

The Show
    Put your work up against the best students in the country and compete for over $15,000 in cash and prizes. Our show is judged by five nationally recognized jurors over two days. Awards and cash prices will be handed out for winners in each category, judge's choice, and best overall piece. Scholarships will be awarded to the top sophomore and junior portfolio, and The top senior portfolio will receive a cash prize and a huge head start landing a dream job. All work that makes it in the show will be on display for the entire conference. An official call for entries will go out at the first of the year.

The Conference
    These three days will shape your career. Get inspired with 4 nationally-renowned keynote speakers. Ask working professionals questions about your career. Get hand-on knowledge in your field with 15 break-out sessions. Tour top Dallas design and advertising studios. Get your portfolio reviewed by professionals, maybe even land an internship or job. And at the end of it all, take the train downtown for a conference party. You'll go home with new design buddies, great memories, and a huge head start to your career.

Sound Good?
    Here's the best part: tickets have dropped by $25 this year. Conference tickets are now $125 for the whole weekend. OK, here's the real best part: if you buy your ticket before Jan. 1, tickets are just $75. This should move to the top of your christmas list.

http://nationalstudentshow.com/

More Information
    If you have any questions, please email the 2012 chairman: Brandon DeLoach at studentshow@dsvc.org. If your school has never participated in the show, tell your professor to contact Brandon and get on the mailing list. We'll be sending posters later in the year and make sure your school gets future updates.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

The ticket link seems to be down at the moment.

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

* It's good now!
    Last edited by ProfClayton; November 28, 2011, 21:26.

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Alright, here's the gist of it.

In order to help with the financial burden of the DSVC Conference in April, the department will make available enough funds to cover the cost of 6+ hotel rooms for CART Majors who plan on attending the conference.

The conference is being held at the Dallas Raddison Hotel (across the street from SMU), just up the highway from where it was last year.

The rooms will be reserved for Thursday, April 12th through Saturday, April 14th. While the cost of the room, taxes, and fees will be paid by the CART department, parking and any other extra fees will be paid by your group.

This proposal has been approved by the Dean, and she hopes that it will be taken advantage of by our students.

NOTE: You must attend both days of the Conference (Friday & Saturday). Professors will be watching to see if you are. If someone from your group fails to show up to the conference on any given day (without a good medical excuse... hangovers don't count), your group will be charged the hotel fee for that day.

Rules

In order for me to reserve the room for your group, you must do the following:

1. Post the names of the people in your group who are going as a reply to this thread. I will take note of your names and tentatively hold your spot. A group consists of 4 people.

2. Register for the conference and show me proof of registration of all of the members in your group.

3. As soon as the groups have been established and approved I will close this thread and the deal is done.

This is first come first serve, so please plan ahead.

Due to the location of the conference, the rooms will be quad occupancy (two double/queen beds).

This is open to all Computer Graphic Arts Majors that are sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

This is subject to change at anytime.

GROUPS

Group 1
      1. Sam
      2. Joyce
      3. Ana
      4. Wayne

Group 2
      1. Sara
      2. Anyssa
      3. Katrina
      4. Amber

Group 3
      1. Mitch
      2. Hector
      3. Tony
      4. ???

Group 4
      1. Jennifer P.
      2. Mercedes
      3. ...
      4. ...

Group 5
      1. ...
      2. ...
      3. ...
      4. ...

Group 6
      1. ...
      2. ...
      3. ...
      4. ...

... more room may become available if the demand is needed.
      Last edited by ProfClayton; January 24, 2012, 10:43.

Comment

Chime in here with your groups.

Comment

We have a group of four...Sam, Joyce, Ana and Myself. Cool?
          UKNOWUKNOW

Comment

Originally posted by stetch02814 View Post
            We have a group of four...Sam, Joyce, Ana and Myself. Cool?
            :up:

Comment

Mitch, Hector, and I (if thats cool with everybody)

anybody is welcome to be the forth

P.S. anybody want to car pool???

Edit: Vince said he will be the 4th
              Last edited by TonyPino; January 11, 2012, 00:19.

Comment

Erica, Qui, Andrea K, and Kailey... waiting to hear from Sofia, Ma.Andrea, and Natasha.

Comment

I don't have a group but I'll willing to join a group that needs an extra person
                  "You have smelly body parts, smelly under your arms, in the armpits, just put some vinegar on it...why didn't you think of that. For your health"- Dr Steve Brule

Comment

A bit of a kink... but we'll make it work:

This year’s conference will be held at the Radisson Hotel on the northbound access road to Highway 75 (N Central Expressway) just north of Mockingbird Ln. The hotel is being renovated this spring, so there are no rooms available. But don’t worry! The Radisson is walking distance to the DART light rail hub, Mockingbird Station. Because of parking limitations, we are recommending that students stay at a hotel along the DART line and take the train to the conference each day. DART tickets are $1.75 for a single 90-minute pass, or $4.00 for a day pass. Students who sign up for the studio tours will be given a day pass for Thursday.

To accommodate travel, the conference will begin a bit later each morning.
                    Looks like any hotel worth it's salt is a 20-25 minute train ride from the convention center.

In that case, I might choose the Holiday Inn Express. ;)

Details to follow.

Comment

Speakers announced!

Originally posted by DSVC via Facebook
                      You've asked and we're answering: Announcing the speakers for the 2012 National Student Conference!

Our kick-off speaker is motion picture title designer and director, Danny Yount. Danny hails from Prologue Films and has designed title sequences for films including Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man, Tron Legacy and Sherlock Holmes. He has won many industry awards, including two Emmy wins and one nomination. View Danny's website here: http://dannyyount.com/

Also joining our speaking line up is designer and art director, Lawrence Azerrad of LAD Design. Lawrence designed for Warner Brothers Records in the 90s and created packaging and design for artists including Wilco, Miles Davis, Clint Eastwood and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. His more recent client list is just as impressive. Read more about Lawrence here: http://bit.ly/wfyGHE

Last but not least, we're pleased to have Tim Hale, Senior Vice President of Design at Fossil, joining us as a conference speaker. Tim has been with Fossil since the beginning, joining the company in 1987 to head up and form the in-house design department. His work has appeared frequently in CA, Print and HOW magazines, among others, and some of his packaging work resides in the permanent collection of the Museum of Architecture & Design in Chicago.

Stay tuned for more National Student Show & Conference announcements as the entry deadline approaches!

Comment

Please double check these groups and let me know if they are correct by 5/9/12:

FINAL GROUPS

Group 1
                        1. Sam
                        2. Joyce
                        3. Jennifer P.
                        4. Mercedes

Group 2
                        1. Sara
                        2. Anyssa
                        3. Katrina
                        4. Amber

Group 3
                        1. Mitch
                        2. Hector
                        3. Tony
                        4. ???

Group 4
                        1. Erica
                        2. Qui
                        3. Natasha (?)
                        4. Kailey

Group 5
                        1. Vince
                        2. Patrick
                        3. Puga
                        4. ???
                        Last edited by ProfClayton; March 7, 2012, 10:15. Reason: Updated groups - PC

Comment

Selections to Student Show posted... but sadly there are none from UIW:

Comment

Here are the breakout sessions:

Plan Your Breakout Sessions
                            Here's a quick list of the fabulous topics and speakers for our breakout sessions this year. Full descriptions will be in your program.
                            • Wayne Geyer, Copywriting For Designers
                            • Michael Griffith, Mobile App Design
                            • Brandon Murphy, Getting and Keeping Your Job
                            • Giovanni Gallucci, Your Career Via Social Media
                            • Josh Ege, Thinking Under Fire
                            • Larry Trahan, From Proof to Press
                            • John Hampton, Paper School
                            • Q&A with the Fossil Creative Team
                            • Barton Damer, From Traditional Design to Motion Design
                            • Magnificent Beard, The Value of Failure
                            • PSU Student Group, Running a Student Design Club
                            • Jeff Rogers, From a Tiny Design Department to NYC
                            • Angela MonDragon, Brainstorm Bootcamp
                            • Central Market Advertising Team, Creatives and Suits Playing Well Together

Comment

Hotels are booked and checks are being cut. I will give an envelope to a team leader next week and we'll be good to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X