Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Winning is Everything" (a note from Roland Murillo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Winning is Everything" (a note from Roland Murillo)

After the seminar last Thursday, Roland and I sat and talked for about an hour about the state of the design industry in San Antonio and a little more about what he looks for in students and designers.

We got on the subject of awards and competitions (ADDYs, DSVC, CMYK, etc.) and he talked about how his career started with the help of winning a major award in Dallas at DSVC.

Today, he sent me the following letter and asked me to share with all of you.

Michael,

Thanks again for letting me come in and share some info with your students.

I did forget to touch on one important point that I feel will make the biggest difference to the opportunities that open up to the students at your school. A-W-A-R-D-S.

We spoke about it briefly after the presentation, but I think it is something that students should take note of. Those students that get juried recognition for their work while still in school are worth more than those that don't. They have more perceived value in the eyes of professional designers. They will be able to have a better selection of jobs and be able to command a higher salary. Overall, they will have a better chance at a rewarding career in their field.

If the students can beef up their resumés with career-related honors and awards from the most recognized competitions in the land, they will set themselves apart from their competitors overnight. The will create a demand for their services and expertise in an instant.

My professional career was launched by one major award from a prestigious student award show. I received the Best of Show trophy at the DSVC student show in Dallas as a senior at SWT. Although, I had received other minor awards that night and our school won the Bronze Portfolio, getting the highest honor any student could get landed me a job at the best design firm in the state. They even mentioned it as the reason for the offer. They didn't even have an opening at the time, but they made one for me because of the achievement and promise of excellence. The position came with a high salary, full benefits, 12% bi-annual raises for tow years and a 30% annual bonus. More importantly, I worked with the best in the business on great projects. These mentors had already won every award in their field and currently have their work archived in the Library of Congress. They are literally, national treasures, and they taught me everything I know today.

Other awards that came since then have allowed me to be be selective of my opportunities (and my fees). Since then, I have won over 150 honors in 11 years from some of the most recognized leaders in our industry. Because of that, I am recognized as a leader, as well. Regardless of whether I am more talented than other designers, I am perceived to have something they don't because I have won more recognition by my peers. And, as long as I continue to compete at the highest level and win, I will be perceived as someone worth hiring. I will be someone who instills confidence in my potential clients and possible employers.

Without that one award as a student I would not have been given the opportunity to learn what I did and launch my career in the best way. Without any awards, I am sure I would not been as savory to the most selective of employers, nor would I have been able to make myself visible to some of the best clients.

When all things are equal, the most obvious choice is the right one. That is what we believe in design and in hiring designers.

So let your aspiring designers and creatives know that if they want to find the best jobs and compete in this business at the highest level, if they want a serious shot at the best opportunities, they must test themselves in the design competitions and win awards (Graphis, CMYK, ADDYs, ADCH, PRINT, HOW, STEP, DSVC, etc.). Aside from building their school's credibility which is good for them in the long run, they will build their own and become recognized as a walking, talking symbol of creative excellence.

- Roland

‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Hmm... sounds familiar. I may have heard this somewhere before ;)

Comment

Working...
    X