Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters

How can I go about getting a masters? Thanks for your help.

Masters in what? What are your goals for the degree?

Comment

Get your bachelors first then get some more money and go for the gold!

Comment

Yet Another Master's question?

What has to happen in order for UIW, so that they can offer a MFA in either 3d graphics studio or web design studio? That is the million dollars question?

Comment

We will eventually (probably 3 years from now) have an MFA in Graphic Arts. HOwever, it is highly recommended to get your masters from a different place than your bachelors. You want to make sure that you're getting a new perspective on things - that you're finding new ways to do things besides what your undergraduate professors did.

I got my MFA at the same university as my BFA, and in many of my interviews I had to explain why (my BFA and MFA were in different departments so I had different teachers for the two degrees). It will just save you lots of trouble in the long run if you diversify your education and make sure and find out lots of people's views on graphic arts.

Plus, there are several state universities where, as a graduate student, you can teach a class or two and get your tuition waived (a degree for free). At UIW, that will never happen - private schools are tuition driven and will always charge tuition.

The key is, most all graduate schools have application deadlines in September or October. So, if you're interested in doing graduate work, be working on getting everything lined up very, very early. They'll want to see a portfolio (on slides usually) and have you take one of several tests (Millers, or the GRE, etc...) If you don't have all that lined up by the October deadlines, you have to wait another year. So be sure and plan ahead.

Comment

"you have to wait another year"

Can you explain the one year "thingie."

Comment

Not sure what you mean. What's the one year thingie?

Comment

One Year?

What I was trying to ask was, "why do I have to wait another year to apply for graduate school." I must assume that what you mean is that every year a certain amount of student are accepted into the Master programs, or am I just smoking too much."

Comment

Oh...it means that they don't accept people once the application deadline has passed. If they don't have your stuff by their deadline, they won't even look at it until the next year. That's why its important to have your stuff in on time to all the universities you'd be interested in.

For instance, its far too late to submit anything for grad schools if you wanted to attend grad school in the fall of 2003 (this August). However, if you want to attend a year from now (August of 2004); you'll need to meet the grad school's deadline this year (probably October 2003).

Comment

Thanks for the input

I am glad we had this discussion, because I would have been in the doghouse trying to figure things out. Especially since, I am the first in my family to graduate from a University. Anyway I will get all my stuff together. Another question that have is will I need some kind of recommendation letters from you?

Comment

You might...some schools require them, some do not. I'd find out where you wanted to study at and then find out what they needed. Either Mike or I can help you put your stuff together.

One final note about Masters. In this area (graphic arts (including print, animation and web), if you don't want to teach on a college level - there really isn't much need for an MFA. The portfolio is king.....

So if you want to just get good work in the field, a MFA would probably not be worth your time or money - but if education is part of your ultimate goal - you must have an MFA.

Comment

adjust and adapt to the demands.

Well,

I would like to teach my skills to others, because I find it much easier to teach someone. In class sometimes that is what I get caught up in, and that is to teach fellow students. I taught a good friend of my at SAC how to use some of the programs in class, and I am still doing it today. Honestly that would be an option that I cannot overlook. Anyways I am trying to finish my portfolio as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                        X