Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keiphus, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keiphus, need help!

Hey man, I'm trying to find a tool or a method to achieve the same effect as the Sculpt tool in maya, in XSI.

havent found an answer on XSibase or edharris or CGtalk for version5.

In case you didnt knwo what the Sculpt tool does in Maya, its basically like a paint tool; much like painting weights on an object, but has different results, you have the option to push or pull points or my favorite, smooth a region (not to get confused with subdividing) (but more like relaxing the topology). Now I have used Proportional modeling with the Tweak tool, which is very similar to mayas Softmod tool. But there arent options to relax certain regions the way I want them too.

There is however the Relax and Smooth option, which are great and Does achieve what I want, But it would require me to select a region of edges, polys, or points. first, and then apply the action.. select region .. then apply action. which just seems so tedious, instead of painting the object in real time with the sculpt tool in maya.

Any Idea if theres anything very similar to the sculpt tool from Maya?

Any help is post appreciated.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
    -Tyler Durdan

Have you tried the push tool? It uses a weight map like effect and can help you achieve results like you are talking about.

I'll be honest with you, I've used it all of 1 time, probably about 6 months ago. But it will get what you want. I think the shortcut is P? I'm at home right now posting so I'd have to mess with it a second, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Comment

On second thought, it might be W.... I don't remember...

Shame on me, I could probably tell you every OTHER hotkey... lol

Comment

YES I HAVE the Paint Push tool also for got to mention, it was a pain in a but to mess with I couldnt turn down the influence with the options provided, care to explain the tool somemore? I believe its also used to paint weights, btuI have read tuts and articles that you can use this to achieve whaqt I want I just cant get it right at all.
        -Tyler Durdan

Comment

actually I got some peopel to post an answer on XSI base, I'll let yall know how it works, thanks for the help Keiphus, I'll try it out later today
          -Tyler Durdan

Comment

sculpt tool in XSI

I GOT IT !!! THank you God!!!

hit CTRL 3 to go to paint palette , here you can add erase and smooth while yer in the Paint push tool!!!!!!
            -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Yes, sorry.. Ctrl+3 is the prop editor for that deformer... also pressing E while in the tool will let you change the opacity, and middle click + drag will change the radius... or R.

Comment

yeah figured all that stuff out int eh first 3 days, man I can imagine you being dissapointed when you start with Maya, haha XSI is just so much better. yeah thats RamesesII of the AbuSimbel. We're doing some stuff for the History Channel Jeff is having me do quite a bit of the close to organic modeling stuff, ie statues, and stuff for the Egypt episode. I now got to do the whole side of Nefitaris tomb, right next to Abu Simbel.

yeah I was trying work on some technique I did in Maya and transfer to XSI, thats why I was interested in the sculpting tool, but that really doesnt matter cause with XSI Prop modeling w/ Tweak tool, =best tool ever.
                -Tyler Durdan

Comment

I agree, I hardly use that tool at all... there are many other better solutions for my workflow... of course not bashing the tool if someone finds it helpful, more power to them.

Jeff is an AMAZING user of the software, I wish I could watch him do the things he does more often. You learn so much and grow so much faster in a real work environment than you ever would on your own or even (I'm risking alot saying this) in a classroom. Don't you agree? Looks great though, awesome model. Using any certian technique? What's nice is when you don't have to animate something, you don't necessarily have to follow any certain design (ie, edgeloops, etc) so long as the render looks good and you dont get any triangulation etc..

Comment

Haha, I'm gonna say it is very different from the classroom;)

yeah I've sat in after hours to chat with him and some of the guys about their experiences, the best word to describe is "Woa" just alot, man wow.
                    Jeff, is I dont know, let me put it this way. Watkins wasnt kidding about the industry you'd have to put in mad hours. Jeff, pretty much defined it for me. check out the War of 1812 clips on the site. He did to my understanding one evening when I chatted with him, all of those War of 1812 cuts in about 4 and 1/2 weeks, 500 hours. putting about 130 hrs into the last week. I was like holy shnickeys are there even that many hours in a week! but yeah I got to see some of his earlier commercials and the HD renders of the War of 1812.

Btw how were you acquainted with Jeff, through Troy? or was it through the Chacho lunches? haha yeah and he mentioned they stopped going when one of the guys left from MF. Its all about PF Changs man.
                    -Tyler Durdan

Comment

I've met Jeff twice.... I don't know "know" him, but I've talked with him before when I've taken tours/visited matchframe. But I've seen his work and seen him work and his work speaks for itself.

I mean yeah you're gonna work really hard when it comes to deadlines, but there are times when I find myself sitting there solving a rubix cube because I have render time to kill... it just depends, the industry is funny like that so far as I can tell.. it's either really busy or really not. I've stayed and worked till 10 or 11 on a few of our projects, but it's nothing TOO bad for me so far.... when you're doing something you enjoy it's really not that bad. It really just depends where you end up... I mean if you go work for EA yeah you might end up doing slave labor... it's nice to work for a smaller studio like Matchframe or Geo... (although Matchframe is pretty big now I guess.. heh)

Is Josh still there? He was an inferno artist, not sure if he was like a longterm freelance or fulltime... He used to work at Atomic several years ago and sometimes he has lunch with us.

We haven't gone to Chacho's in a while... there is a new resteraunt open on DeZavala now, I think it's called HuHot? or Hu Hutt? Or something... it's like a mongolian grill where you make your own stirfry and they cook it for you on this big metal stove... Not bad... It's cool eating all over the place, that's another thing I like. But I have come to the conclusion that I would save an estimate $2000+ a year if I didn't eat out everyday. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Keiphus
                        You learn so much and grow so much faster in a real work environment than you ever would on your own or even (I'm risking alot saying this) in a classroom. Don't you agree?
                        Jeez, i'd hope so. By the time you get hired, you'd better know enough to be productive or you won't stay hired. In addition, when you're working you've got 8 (or 10 or 12) hours a day to focus on one goal - student's usually don't have that (too much other homework from those other pesky classes).

Classwork is never going to equal professional work. Hopefully it provides the basis and a solid foundation to make sure that you are able to be productive on the first day doing professional work.

Education is the means to an end....

Comment

Originally posted by Keiphus

Is Josh still there? He was an inferno artist, not sure if he was like a longterm freelance or fulltime... He used to work at Atomic several years ago and sometimes he has lunch with us.

haha oh yeah Josh, Mr. Mike Shinota look alike, yeah he's cool funny guy see him everyday, he said he liked my drawing style trying get me to do some art work for his skateboard company.
                          -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Watkins
                            Jeez, i'd hope so. By the time you get hired, you'd better know enough to be productive or you won't stay hired. In addition, when you're working you've got 8 (or 10 or 12) hours a day to focus on one goal - student's usually don't have that (too much other homework from those other pesky classes).

Classwork is never going to equal professional work. Hopefully it provides the basis and a solid foundation to make sure that you are able to be productive on the first day doing professional work.

Education is the means to an end....
                            Yeah, I guess that was kind of a no-duh statement... :p

You always here people talking about school vs. no school, etc... and one of the things I always hear the people who advocate school saying is that the kids who have gone to school always seem to catch on to the workflows and pipelines much much faster than the joe who learned from the gnomon dvds in his bedroom. But I guess in the end it's up to the individual....

Comment

I learned from both! Does that make me a Super Joe!?
                              -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Working...
                              X