Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 2021

Hey Everyone!
    I hope we've had an opportunity for rest and fellowship with our families over the Christmas break, and are coming ready to work!

I just wanted to reach out and communicate a couple of points, Faculty expectations of the students and some guidelines on what to expect from my classes:
    • All of my Classes are online and are Synchronous (that means we're meeting "webcam to webcam" via zoom at the same time)(webcam is part of the equipment requirement for the class)
    • Classes will be held through Zoom with the link below, along with a phone number you can use to connect, just in case you have issues on the PC.
    • Previously there has been a 10 second delay when using screensharing in Zoom. This makes following along during lectures pretty much impossible.
      • To combat this I will be using a workaround where I pipe my screen through the Webcam input instead of through screen sharing. This means the screen may not be as crisp. Please be patient and communicate any barriers to your learning so that we can get these things addressed!
    • A couple of reminders regarding our standards and expectations:
      • Late work is not accepted and will receive 0 points if turned in late or not turned in at all.
      • If you are unable to attend a class at some point, please contact me prior to that class.
      • All students are expected to be at their Computers with the appropriate software open and following along during class.
      • Notes should be taken each lecture.
      • Webcams are a requirement for this course. This means they need to be on so we can see each other's faces. If you do not have one, please contact me via email. (tmishler@uiwtx.edu)
      • Licenses for all software needs to be addressed NOW (that means today) Please go to the following forum link for instructions on licenses:http://forums.uiw3d.com/forum/covid-19-spring-2020
    • The Class will be run through the Forums, which means there will be a thread for you to turn in your work in each classes subforum.
    • The class outline/syllabus will be posted in the corresponding class Subforum.
    • When in doubt of anything, check your notes and the syllabus/outline first, then contact me if your questions are not answered.
    • Outlines can and do change. Expect it, since the most effective teaching is adjusted to the student's needs.
      • The only adjustments to the syllabus will be to BENEFIT you. That means a change to a due date will only be done to give you more time. Changes to daily topics can and do happen. This is done to better fit the material.
    • Patience will be needed while we are doing things through an online format. There will more than likely be technical issues, in case of this; sit tight and check your school email.
    • Check your Student email account regularly. This is how I will be contacting you outside of class if I need to.
    • Just as you will be showing me patience; Likewise, I believe in Compassionate teaching and will be patient with you as well.
      • However, compassion does not mean a lack of consequences. (Late work policy is universal across all courses for this degree, so make sure you turn in your work before it is due). This is simply a reality of this industry.
    • Each student is expected to participate in class discussions and cooperate with others. This is a basic skill required for this industry.
    • Respect for your fellow students and the Faculty is required. This is a basic skill required for this industry.
    • Homework time expectations per week is a minimum of 10 hours weekly for my courses. This is less than the 16 hours the University is suggesting.
      • Spending time practicing is CRITICAL to your success getting hired. The hours don't lie and shortcutting the amount of time you are spending to get better will only fool you. The other students will see the shortcomings as well as your Professors.
    • When the outline/syllabus is posted on the forums, it will include some more details such as my Office hours as well as the additional hours I will be offering for 1-on-1 meetings. If you haven't been utilizing this resource and claim I am unavailable, then you are simply not trying to get in touch with me! (Please Note that emailing/messaging me is not a valid substitute for scheduling a meeting time with me)
    • Treat my courses as if they are intensive study. I expect everyone to bring their best, are ready to work once the class begins, is actively listening, taking notes and has a hunger to succeed.
    • Feedback is how we get better. Feedback can sting. Feedback is not a rejection or criticism of YOU. Feedback is "How can you improve this piece" and ideally engages your critical thinking and rational thought rather than your emotions. Come ready to receive AND give feedback to your fellow students.
    • Implement Faculty Feedback quickly.
    Whew, that was a lot! Overall, we will be taking this semester step by step and working hard. I'm very invested in your success and am looking forward to seeing each of you grow this semester!!!

Join Zoom Meeting

https://uiw.zoom.us/j/3509095047

Meeting ID: 350 909 5047
    One tap mobile
    +13462487799,,3509095047# US (Houston)
    +16699006833,,3509095047# US (San Jose)
Working...
X