Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/20/21 - Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/20/21 - Questions!

Open Houdini and try to re-create a plane with noise on it. Also use groups to select geometry by volume (or object). Do this from scratch first, then you can copy what I've done.

Here's the actual assignment:
    Write down any questions, confusions, problems or other areas where you got stuck! We will review on Wednesday the 20th!

Cam :D

Q1: Even after I did a little research, I'm still not 100% if I understand what unshared edges do. I looked through notes, and the Houdini website and from what I understand it outlines geometry using multiple primitives and not just one. But even then I'm still not sure if this is correct and what it exactly means that it's doing.

Q2: I did fix this but I still want to know why this happened. When I was trying to do the polywire, it said that the grouping was invalid and I'm not sure what this means. Does it mean it's not the correct group or is there not supposed to be a group called to that node? (what I did to fix it was delete the node and reconnect it and it was fine)

Q3: Just so I have better understanding, in the dissolve node it deletes edges you don't want. Where it says "delete non-selected edges", do you want this selected so that way only the edges remain?

Comment

Apryl Arrogante

Questions:
      1. When in the parameters for the Group Node there is an option called “Base Group” when selecting that does that mean it would only refer to other Group Nodes or can it refer to other geometry in the scene?

Problems:
      The issues I ran into initially was that my selection was going from the center instead of the edges of the grid, but that was because in the group that is labeled as “Tube” and in the parameters, I had “unshared edges” checked off when it should have been on. Then within that same group, I had the “base group” option enabled which felt like it was causing an issue since when I turned that option off the edges were finally being selected instead of it selecting from the center of the grid.
      https://www.artstation.com/aprylarrogante

Comment

Well, after going through my notes and video, I got through the assignment just fine. As for my questions they are a bit limited, due to not being really sure where I was going to begin with. For me, dissecting and splicing together my notes and with what you covered helped. I can place it in an order my brain understands. The Dissolve node was the missing piece on my initial run and found that after going through the class video.

My question will be on the last Group node just before the Null node at the end. I do not believe seeing or recording in my notes, any adjustments to the parameters. I didn't adjust any of the settings, I dropped it in and left it as is.

Comment

Problems: Had a few problems setting up the correct nodes/info inside the nodes before going to check through the video, but that was mostly from my notes not being detailed enough. After reviewing the video, my only issue is that it my viewport is not displaying which points on the plane are selected. Past that, I believe I have everything else set up.

Questions: I'm not sure I have any questions, just need to fiddle around with houdini more.

Comment

I don't know what to ask. I'm just having trouble learning Houdini and figuring out how to do really anything in it. Even after looking some things up I still don't understand what I'm doin or how anything works. I understand the nodose and how they work, I just don't know how they work together.

Austin Chapman

Comment

Sam Manon

I was able to get through the assignment alright with my notes. Although, there was one part I wasn't too sure about. I believe it was the same part where the last group node and null was applied and you could see what was and wasn't being selected. My question would be, if you could go over that part one more time, just for clarification?
              I think I eventually got it to work but, I wasn't so sure what I did.

Comment

Jordan Collins

Like others, I'm not sure I have many questions. I was able to get through the assignment with minimal confusion, though at one point I had something like this:

The issue was that the tube was the only thing rendering and I just had to fix that by going and making my other groups visible. Other than that issue, I got through this assignment relatively fast and with minimal issue.
                https://artstation.com/jkcollins

Comment

My only question is in what ways can this tool be used for in a practical sense?

Comment

Working...
                  X