Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring own Workstation to Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring own Workstation to Work?

I don't know what people these days think about bringing their home computer to work, because the place of business cannot buy a descent workstation to work on!

So baiscally if you had to bring your workstation to work- would you?

I figure that I spend a great deal of time at work on a basically useless Workstation, which makes me very unproductive. I have a nice workstation at home that I barley use because by the time I get home I am way to tired to deal with the Workstation. I barely touch it!

That's a really tough one. ON the one hand you want to be productive, but on the other, providing your own hardware can be an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

If the employer sees that you provide your own hardware, they'll never buy new hardware - no need to - you've bought it for him. In addition, after you leave, you can just see the conversation:

New Employee: This hardware is really out of date; so out of date, I can't do this job.

Boss: Well, the last guy, bought his own. If you don't like the hardware we provide, buy your own and bring it.

And then not only are you screwed for your time there, but the poor sucker who comes in after you is too.

Comment

I See Ur Point!

I see your point, and totally agree! Yet I have been working for this guy for a very long time, and the last computer I had went out because of hardware issues. So, instead of him buying me a faster Worstation - he does the opposite and buys me a slower one. I just can't understand my boss and his philosophy.
      I don't see him buying me a faster computer anytime soon, so I guess I will have to put up with the slower machine until I start Graduate School.

Plus I would never recommend anyone working for this guy!

Comment

Working...
      X