Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geometry and the Imagination Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometry and the Imagination Feedback

We are interested in hearing from ALL students who have had or are taking Geometry and the Imagination. We are particulary interested in knowing what the content of the course was during the semester that you took it. Please be sure to let us know which semester that you took (or are taking ) the class. We are trying to understand if the content has changed over several semesters.

I guess I should mention that you can post your replies here. Sorry.
    Last edited by Professor Fagan; November 28, 2006, 17:05.
    "No cape darling"

I am taking it this semester.

We went over lines, angles, problem solving, proportion, ratio, pythagorean theorum, slope, distance...stuff like that.

And in my class, we had to do a final presentation on what geometry has to do with your major (or an interest that you have).

Yeah, that's about it.

I hope that helped.

Comment

Ditto....it was basic geometry stuff...we went over most of the chapters in the book and had three tests plus the final...

oh and im taking it this semester as well

Comment

i liked the beginning of the semester when it was more of "the imagination" than the geometry. i guess it is better to take geometry than college algebra for cga majors.

:D
        enough I didnt come for a whisper. I came here to hear you SCREAM!" -the hulk jijiji

Comment

Well, if you're part of the BFa, remember you need to take both Geometry of the Imagination and Algebra.

Comment

Are there any other more upper level classes we could take instead of Geometry? It sounds.... easy.

Comment

Let's talk during advising. Geometry does a couple of things a) it counts towards a design credit needed for NASAD accreditation and b) it fulfills a university core elective.

There may be substitutions for that; depends on your situation.

Comment

The course catalog says "This course aims to convey depth in geometrical thinking, as well as the breadth of geometrical connections to disciplines from the liberal and fine arts, business, engineering and the sciences. Study will include the foundations of measurement and construction in plane and solid geometry described by Euclid and will extend to more recent discoveries in modern geometry, topology and chaos theory. It is designed to satisfy the core requirement as well as to enhance those programs with a strong mathematics component." The only time an outside discipline was brought into the class was during the presentation and that was from the students. We did not get into modern geometry, topology, or chaos theory. Could precal or calculus fulfill both a core and CART elective.
                "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one's self in the ranks of the insane."
                Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Unfortunately, precal or cal would not fulfill the CART requirements in most cases as they really aren't design courses.

Part of why we're seeking feedback is so that we can work with the math department to make it a more relevant course for our majors.

Comment

Working...
                  X