Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study Abroad Spring 2007 Final Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study Abroad Spring 2007 Final Vote

OK....finally got all the quotes. Please vote if you plan on attending the trip (and only vote if you'd attend at these prices). Remember, if you would go to both, you can vote for both.

Please keep in mind:

* You must enroll and attend the World Graphics Away course in the Spring semester.
    * As part of the travel experience, a project must be proposed, completed, and presented upon returning from the destination.
    * Only vote for a location that you would be willing to pay for. No, "I'd love to got there, but I don't want to pay to do it"
    * Note that some locations include meals and some do not.
    * You may vote for more than one location

Florence/Rome
    Total Cost: $2650
    Includes:
    1. Round trip airfare.
    2. 2nd Class Rail from Rome-> Florence
    3. 3 Star Hotel (double occupancy)
    4. Transfer to/from Hotel and Airport
    Does not include:
    1. Subway or bus tickets around either city
    2. Entrance to any venue/location
    3. Meals

Summary: There will be considerable cost once in the country (plan on probably an additional $500-$800 in food, travel, and museum entrances); but you can choose to eat cheaper (or more expensive) and get to pick the places to eat.

Beijing/Shanghai
    Total Cost: $2695
    Includes:
    1. Round trip airfare
    2. Airfare from Beijing-Shanghai
    3. All 3 hotel accommodation, double occupancy;
    4. All western breakfasts in the hotels & Chinese lunch & dinner daily,
    5. Private sightseeing with English speaking guides (Great Wall of China, Ming Tombs, Forbidden City, Chinese Acrobats, Graphic Design studio, Animation studio, etc...);
    6. All air-conditioned motor coach;

Summary: All inclusive. Includes all the meals, entrances to all the places, and tours at all the locations. Drawback: true tourist. We travel as a pack as a group on a bus. It's safer, slightly more boring, but very efficient (you see lots in a short amount of time).
    Rome/Florence
    40.00%
    Beijing/Shanghai
    60.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Professor Watkins; November 8, 2006, 14:04.

Cool, can't wait!
    JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

I was wondering how many days in each place?
      "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one's self in the ranks of the insane."
      Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Good question. Both are 10 days trips. And each trip is 5 days in each city.

Comment

Prof Watkins
          Have you updated the World Graphics or was my project that bad?
          "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one's self in the ranks of the insane."
          Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I might change my vote, is there anyone with personal experience at these destinations that can provide some insight?
            JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

Originally posted by dtazakio
              Prof Watkins
              Have you updated the World Graphics or was my project that bad?
              I have updated the grades; but the registrars office is slow. It's kind of out of my hands at this point. I will followup this week and see if I can find out any other information.

Comment

Originally posted by SublimeOne
                I might change my vote, is there anyone with personal experience at these destinations that can provide some insight?
                Kinda doubtful....I can give you my $.02.

Florence & Rome are beautiful; full of art that is important to the western sense of art. Sometime in every designer's life, you should get to these two cities. Ultimately it will be the more expensive of the two trips.

Beijing/Shanghai is not nearly as beautiful as a city. However, places like the forbidden city and the Ming Tombs are incredibly spectacular. However, it is Asian, and asian art is different than what many western students are used to. Ultimately, China is destined to be one of the most powerful (politically, economically, and possibly culturally) countries in the world. In animation, the Chinese market is a sizable one. Having visited this market will help develop a little bit better understanding of it.

Both are pretty cool places actually. Both would make incredible trips if the price is right for you.

Comment

Can I have my vote taken off please...I wanna think about this a little bit
                  JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

Originally posted by SublimeOne
                    Can I have my vote taken off please...I wanna think about this a little bit
                    I removed your vote, but in order to vote again, you must post here so that I can go back and add it in again.
                    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Ok, thanks
                      JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

Since we'd be traveling with a group in China, would we still have free time in the nights to break apart from the group to go shopping and to see other things?
                        The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of the oncoming train.

Comment

During the day, no. THe trip will be pretty packed during the day - although the current schedule includes two or three afternoons where we'd go to markets for some shopping.

At night though, the time is yours. A few nights there are things like the acrobats scheduled, and there are some martial arts demonstrations on a few nights - but most nights will be yours to wonder or rest.

Comment

yea, I spent 2 weeks in rome still didnt get to see it all, and in flourence its still somewhat of a pain to enter into the muesems for mikey and the main gallery, but other then those attractions and the Duomo, I dunno. And why arent u guys staying in hostels!? Hotels stink, dont meet nearly enough interesting people. But yea, Rome can be budjeted really well, if for instance you never eat out and have pizza near the outskirts of the city, never the city center (esp. at the tourist attractions!!!). Also the Rome card to get into 9 different archiological sites is def. worth it if your going to see that as well. PS. Watch out for pickpockets, didnt happen to me but it has to others. Also pub transport is very cheap, only 1 euro for a one way pass, so usually only 2 euro a day for transport, and so yea. Also, allthough i didnt do this (cause I came to rome to see, not to party), there is a pub crawl, it has an open bar from 8 till 9 and you get to go to 3 discotechas (clubs) included in the price of 15 euro or so. Have fun, if u wish 2 go.

Comment

I voted for both since I really wouldn't mind, but Rome sounds a little more fun to me

Comment

Working...
                              X