Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory Error when rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Error when rendering

Ok, so I've been trying to render my final images with raytracing turned on, so I can get all my reflections and such. And I've been getting an error half ways through the render. Here is a screen capture of it.

I was running 2 gb or ram w/ a 256 ATI Radeon video card. At first I thought I'd benefit from more ram so upgraded to 3.5 gb or ram. Still getting the error w/ 3.5 gb or ram. Is a video card upgraded needed, if so what would be the best card to get.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    About to start life @ the SMU guildhall :D

When did that start to happen?

[21:57] profwatkinsuiw: that's very unlikely that its your video card
    [21:57] profwatkinsuiw: 3.5 GB of RAM should be enough to handle anything
    [21:58] profwatkinsuiw: I'd check to make sure that you ahven't accidentally duplicated things like 12 times (select any one object and hit delete; if its still there, it means you have multiple copies)
    [21:58] profwatkinsuiw: also make sure you arne't using something like Raytraced Shadows

Comment

damn, 3.5 gb of ram... thats more than any of our seriously intense 3d machines at work... whats the speed of your processor? vid car probably has next to nothing to do with it though like professor said, have you tried rendering lower resolution scenes? Did it work? Render it agian and take a screenshot of your performance settings in your taskbar - that might further clue you in as to what is going on...

I was playing around today and rendered a 1024x768, mental ray, final gathering, high AA (1,2), raytraced everything, multisampled area lights, etc... and it took about 2 hours, but it looked good and it came out fine. I'm running on a 1.86GHZ laptop with 1GB of ram, Nvidia Geforce 6800 ultra... Not sure why you are having problems.. Are you sure you have the right type of ram?

Comment

Hey keiphus; mind posting that render?

Comment

still want to tweak some stuff, but here is what it looks like with crappy mspaint compression. i dont have ps on this computer...

Comment

actually it could have been this one, i dont remember as i rendered a few different tests and didnt exactly have a very organized naming convention

I think it was the smaller one only because the final gathering gave it a much more intense light... but this one is bigger so i might have rendered the FG one smaller, i cant remember :ouch:

Comment

Well this is the latest error I've had. Could this be a problem w/ the actual program?

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Watkins
                When did that start to happen?

[21:57] profwatkinsuiw: that's very unlikely that its your video card
                [21:57] profwatkinsuiw: 3.5 GB of RAM should be enough to handle anything
                [21:58] profwatkinsuiw: I'd check to make sure that you ahven't accidentally duplicated things like 12 times (select any one object and hit delete; if its still there, it means you have multiple copies)
                Checked all objects, none are duplicated

[21:58] profwatkinsuiw: also make sure you arne't using something like Raytraced Shadows
                Not using this option

Not sure what else to look at :(

Comment

Try closing Maya... make a new scene, put something in it, save it, close it. Close Maya...

Open maya back up, and then open your scene back up again. I have heard of people who had this problem say that when it Crashes and you try and reload the program you get that runtime error....

Comment

How to adjust your paging allocation:

Right click my computer, click Advanced, click Settings under Performance, Click Advanced, go to the bottom and click Change.

Comment

what should I change the paging to ?

Comment

Well I guess I'll just have to plan alot of free time to render @ the school. I'm only getting that C+++ Error when I enable raytracing to get my reflection effects.

Comment

When you enable Raytracing, what is your Reflections set to?

Comment

the default settings

I believe they are

6 - Reflections

2 - Shadows

Comment

Do you have a lot of Phone shaders? Or just the ones on the pans?

those pans will be doing a lot of reflecting; and that'll be a heavy load. But make sure that your other materials aren't doing a bunch as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X