Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silo

I glance at other applications from time to time which is how I came to pick xsi as my tool of choice for now. I've played with the demo of silo a few times and again just before I wrote this. Simply put it's a solid straightforward polygonal modeler. If you know what lathe extrude and all of those other typical modeling functions mean then all you need to know in silo are the shortcuts to get going. Keep in mind there is no renderer and no image painting tools. Just good solid polygon modeling tools.

The stuff I tried out in 1.4

Supports n gons
    Export for obj and 3ds
    subdivision surfaces (similar to c4d hypernurbs or xsi geometry approximation)
    edge and loop slice
    manipulator tools (similar to xsi's tweak tool for sliding topology)
    soft selection (similar to xsi's and c4d's proportional modeling)
    smooth deformer (like xsi's, maya has something like this in artisan tools)

There are a lot more tools than I listed but those are modeling features I use most of the time. Not bad for $109. The future looks pretty bright for silo if the video previews for version 2.0 aren't heavily edited. Although it is polygon modeler I would say that it is aimed more at character modeling rather than rigid objects like interiors, vehicles etc. Silo 1.42 does lack a certain of interaction concerning vertice coordinates. Silo 1.42 is suffering from stability issues and a memory leak. (1.42) If you are seeking a modeling package for all things you might want to try out cinema4d or xsi. Both are great packages and incredibly stable. Nevercenter will probably continue to expand the functionality of silo to encompass all aspect of working with 3d models, it is just going to take time is all. The current version focuses on displacement integration and uv mapping tools. Check out their demo video.

I think silo can steal a large crowd away from zbrush. Zbrush is not a traditional modeling application. The workflow is quite bizare and is likely to put off traditional polygon modelers. I cringe a little every time I try to do something with those **** zspheres. If you've only been doing 3d for a few years then you might want to hold back on trying something else. Learn what you have now and understand the key principles then move onto something else. This way you won't be struggling with how to model and how to deal with the software at the same time.
    Last edited by Bucket; October 23, 2006, 12:29.
    箴 言 18:12
    敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

Beta 3a was released a few days ago. Displacement painting is much improved. With this most recent release I was able to turn the subdisvisions up to 1.3 million polys and it still handled reasonably well for painting and modeling. Not bad for a polygon/displacement hybrid. Silo 2 is coming along nicely. Still suffering from some memory leak issues. It may or may not get up to the level of poly count that zbrush and mudbox can, but then again that isn't nevercenter's goal. They are trying to make a hybrid not an application for extreme details like facial pores etc..

箴 言 18:12
    敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

Comment

Working...
    X