Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mudbox software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mudbox software

Looks like something meant to challenge zbrush. Very little information on it except that it is not a hoax. There is a beta application although I have a feeling that they only want people that have done 3d for films or games. I could be wrong on that. Anyways, I think alternatives to making displacement maps would be a good thing. Hopefully more will be shown at sig 06 or afterwards.

Last edited by Bucket; July 26, 2006, 08:56.
    箴 言 18:12
    敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

Mudbox video demonstrating 14 million polys. The only thing that bothers me about that video is that the perspective is locked which leads me to believe that muddbox is in some kind of projection mode. Meaning what you see is not exactly what you get. Once out of the projection mode mudbox will probably interpret the brushstrokes onto the geometry. Possibly deceptive marketing but time will tell.

Article concerning mudbox. http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=57c...ticles&id=2957

Excerpts from the article.

"When talking about creating a useful tool Camenisch says: “Production software should be only a means to an end, and Mudbox exists only to serve the artist. That is, all feature design and development priorities are set by the production artist's purpose. The problem often with development that isn't designed and driven by the end-user is that the software can become an end in itself — a ‘personal expression’ of its designers, or the personal ‘research project’ of its developers or a mish-mash of features that offer few actual solutions in depth."

"Comparisons to ZBrush were inevitable. Finlayson suggests that while he does have significant experience with ZBrush, Mudbox offers an alternative. “Often there are days that I will be using both. What jumps out at me, though, is the feeling of just more precision in Mudbox. In Mudbox, I feel I can have individual control of each polygon, where in ZBrush I just don’t feel I have that same level of control. The other thing is flexibility; it already seems like there are multiple ways to do everything in Mudbox. There are several capabilities in Mudbox I really like; for example, the tangent symmetry, which lets me sculpt posed characters. The ability to extract a displacement map from an arbitrary mesh is very nice. At this point in time, it is hard to really compare ZBrush and Mudbox feature for feature because Mudbox is still in beta and ZBrush has had several years of development.”

"Charlesworth agrees: “I started out on Mass Effect using ZBrush and struggled at first with its quirks, eventually becoming comfortable with its working environment. When I first had the opportunity to beta test Mudbox, I have to say I jumped at the chance. I had never really been satisfied with the way in which ZBrush forced me to work. Mudbox feels like much more of an extension of the other tools in my pipeline than ZBrush. It has the same 3D laws and logic that apply when I’m using Maya and the same 2D functionality that I enjoy from Photoshop. Smooth shaded sculpting and a perspective camera were also welcome additions.”
    Konig observes: “I think it will be a bit like the Photoshop vs. Corel Painter argument that 2D people have. Once Mudbox implements all the things they plan to, I honestly don't think I'll be opening ZBrush very often. The fact that you are manipulating an actual 3D object is a big plus, so is the fast way Mudbox handles data. Another biggie is the layers; for someone used to Photoshop, this is an amazing feature.”

However, Ortega views ZBrush and Mudbox as more complementary: “In my eyes, they are two tools that I use together (e.g., Photoshop and Illustrator). I’m sure ZBrush will have some amazing things in 2.5, and then Mudbox will try and outdo them, and back and forth. Competition brings innovation. At the end, the winners are all of us users. This shouldn’t be seen as something we need to take sides on. We now have two options and that’s great!”"
    Last edited by Bucket; August 17, 2006, 23:52.
    箴 言 18:12
    敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

Comment

Working...
    X