Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modeling a Corinthian capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling a Corinthian capital

Don't know if this is were i can post my question.
    I need help modeling a corinthian capital in maya, wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials or how it would be the best way to model it.
    Attached Files

How do you model it? Very carefully.

Start by breaking it down into repeating pieces. Remember that for things like the leaves, textures are your friends. Get a general shape, paint the texture (with an Alpha channel), and apply it to the general shape to get all the cutouts.

And then at the end of the day, unless your shot is going to be really close-up on the capital, you could go much simpler with your geometry and use something like what you've got in your shot there as a bump map and it'd work fine.

Comment

Thank you sir, will try that. One more thing, how would I model the top scrolls, they are similar to the scroll on a violin, is there a twist tool in maya? or will NURBS do the job?

Comment

Loft it. You'll just have to play with it till it is good enough.

Nurbs are fine. But I preffer polygons cause at least I can keep a cleaner mesh and leave the door open for exporting models out of maya. Converting nurbs to polygons for export usually makes the mesh poly heavy.

And polys are more texture friendly imo. I'd stick with polys for all things if I could. But some maya simulation demands nurbs.
        箴 言 18:12
        敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

First and foremost, you have to go over your ideas while eating a steak and fry meal with your friends for 2.99!!! :::hint hint:::

Comment

Bucket speaks the truth. Especially if you're going to work with using Alpha channeled textures, Poly objects will be easier to work with.

Comment

Here's what i have so far, all modeled with polygons.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey Pharoah, I'm down for some Lunch and a view, let me know when.

Comment

Nice start. Look carefully at the overall shape of the leaf; you might find that the profile is a little more undulating.

Comment

Looking good mann, but yeah, the leafs do need a lil more detail to em.

Comment

Hey Carlos, I was searching XSI base earlier today for some help with something and I came across this, I don't know if you'll find it useful but I figured I'd post it anyway... maybe you can check out his polyflow and that might help, dunno.. .either way its worth checking out.

Comment

Very nice model, thanks a lot, it does help me out knowing how the polygons are modeled in the capital.

Comment

Nice... A lot of that could have been bump, but he took the extra steps and it came out pretty amazing.

Comment

Working...
                            X