Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maya 5.0: not worth upgrading!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya 5.0: not worth upgrading!

As we have seen, Mental ray for Maya is kind of cool, but its not that great. Of course it looks better than Mayas render engine, but it does not compare to how mental ray works with other apps, like Softimage.

Maya 5.0 seems like its even worse. Mental ray is integrated into maya, but it seems a bit slower and it still does not render any post processing effects. One of the new tools, Paint effects to polygons, is kind of cool, but its really worthless. Mental ray cannot render paint effects, but it can render polygons, therefore we have a useless tool that takes too much time to process and in the end giving you somewhere around 10,000 polygons. HOW FUN!

The Maya vector render engine is really interesting, but I have not played around with it much. All I know is that the new Maya has SARS!!!

Mental Ray can render sub d's now, but there are limitations. I do not know the limitations, but that's pretty sad that mental ray still does not have full potential. Those of you that know about the metal ray shaders, well guess what, they are still hidden! The documents say that only advanced users can access the mental ray shaders.

And another thing about Mayas 5.0 mental ray, whenever you want to render with a quality of production, raytracing is automatically turned on. If you turn raytracing off, production goes back to custom or draft.

And yes, particles can now be rendered in mental ray, but not all types of particles. Of course some of the particle types have to be rendered differently and then composited later in a different application.

Maya's sub d's still have the tendency to be slow as heck, we all know the reason why.

So, do the world a favor and do not upgrade until Maya actually works.

Of course most of this critique was about mental ray, so I dont even want to try the other new features.
    Last edited by Isrithe; April 25, 2003, 20:27.

Hmmm...that is rather disturbing. I guess perhaps the problem is that we are too reliant on the promised blessings of Mental Ray. It seems as though that renderer has tremendous potential benefits - but with so many caveats that it's hardly worth the hassle.

So for many projects - it looks like Maya renderer is still 'the thing.'

Thanks for the heads up on Maya 5 - how did you see it anyway? ;-)

Comment

Thats classified material.

Comment

bersh-gersh-geeeberrh

I understand that this may be completely off the subject but this was the only way I could get a hold of you...Isrithe! I need to to contact me at: Myth7Sabian@aol.com the screeename is the same ofcourse on aim. I'm pretty sure you know who this is...if not here is another clue. "bersh-gersh-geeeberrh." I hope everyone is enjoying the trip...take care and please Isrithe wrtie me at that address!

-the_creator-
        When I grow up, I want to be a Pixarian!

Comment

Working...
        X