Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geometry adjustment and blendshapes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometry adjustment and blendshapes...

Just to clarify, anyone. If I go into a rigged character I have, and modify my geometry...is the only problem going to be that I have to redo my blendshapes (as well as check skin weights)? Or is there any other consequences. In the project we're doing, we haven't actually set any blendshapes, so they are empty right now. Thanks in advance.

yeah, it'll screw your blendshapes cause each vertice has a number assigned to it and if you reassign the position of that vertice or add more vertices (vertici?, hehe), skin weights too, to your model....you're screwed, blue'd and tattoo'ed man!
    JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

What I'm sayin though, is that I'd adjust some geometry....delete my blendshapes of course...and redo my blendshapes after the geometry fix. Once again, nothing has actually been done to the blendshape heads, they are just place holders. So what I'm thinkin is I can just make new placeholders heads after I redo some geometry.

I was just wondering if there were any other issues that would come up. Yeah, I know about the numbered vertices thing, Watkins has pounded that into our heads, ahahhah. Maybe my question isn't clear because I should sleep right now...I'll play with it later.

Comment

Yeah, if yous tart adding geometry you've really got to take a look at quite a few things:

1) Your blenshapes could be messed up. They may not be; depending on how the vertices end up renumbered - but they often are. If you haven't spent a lot of time on your blendshapes, you can delete the old ones and just create new ones.

2) Your UVs will need adjustments

3) Your skincluster will need to be repainted for that joint.

Remember though, that these things are fairly linear. If you need to go back and rework your blendshapes, you'll need to unbind your skin, and then rebind - probably without your old history - which means you'll need to repaint your skincluster from scratch.

Still; at this point, you should be an expert at painting skin weights so a couple hours later you'll be back to animating. I think that usually it's worth it to go back and fix bad geometry. it makes the final product well worth it; and especially in this case where you will be animating this same character for the next 15 assignments - making sure you've got the right geometry is going to be really important.

Comment

actually theres a way that you dont have to remodel every blendshape, but it is a lucrative process, still if you did update geo on the face it isnt all over

Comment

It's lucrative? You can make money off of it.....?

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Watkins
              It's lucrative? You can make money off of it.....?
              rotflmao *

[inigo montoya] "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." [/inigo montoya]

* no offense Tom.
              ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah Watkins, I figure the same thing as what you say...it is definitely worth going back and redoing the stuff than trying to work with messed up geometry. It's all time well spent.

Comment

Working...
                X