Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concept books and Ref books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept books and Ref books

I doubt anyone is going to notice this but I'll list it anyways in the possibility that I reach one person. :)

I recommend Alan Lee's Lord of the Rings Sketchbook. I found the style of the drawings to be well drawn extremely detailed. A few of the images in the book are paintings but most of the images in the book are pencil sketches. The interesting thing about his sketches is that none of them use any finger smudging/tortillion/paper stump techniques to create blending. He does all of his shading with pencil crosshatching etc. You can view some of his sketches in the Extended edition DVDs of LOTR but most of the sketches contained in the books are not on the Extended edition dvds. The book is small size but is loaded with many pictures. The book has interesting little notes concerning the drawings. He also included interesting little notes concerning his own personal quircks as a person. Such as when he plans to go on a trip, he doesn't make a list of the items he needs. He just draws the items he needs to pack because he is a visually oriented person. I enjoy this book because I can see the actual strokes of the pencil by the artist and can identify part of the thought process that goes into the creation of such amazing images. The details on the ent sketches are amazing. You can see this book for yourself at Barnes and Noble or look at some sample images online at amazon.com.

Other book I am recommending is for those interested in mechanical robotic designs. Macross Design works is a compilation of Shoji Kawamori's robotic deisgns for the various Macross series. Most of these designs are transforming flying machines. What I do enjoy about this book is that it shows that Shoji Kawamori gave careful thought to the transformation processes of all the machines. No morphing or stretching of the design is required to achieve the transformations. These machines can exist in the physical world. Many movies and tv shows have taken from Shoji Kawamori's designs. Many are debatable but the few shows without a doubt are, Battletech (mechwarrior) and Robocop (ED 209). Many of his early designs dating back to the 70's maybe earlier not sure. He was a major influence in the creation of the mech genre. This book does have an interview with the artist but nearly everything in this book is Japanese text so if you don't read Japanese you probably won't get much out of it besides the designs. Most of the drawings pencil sketches but there are a some colored concepts included. I doubt you will be able to find a copy of this book at any book store probably try a comic book store to see if you like it. You can buy it cheaper online.
    Last edited by Bucket; September 30, 2006, 10:32.
    箴 言 18:12
    敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

I am recommending Guy sketches and Girl Sketches by Bobby Chiu. If you've seen Bobby Chiu's work then you know what to expect. I am only recommending it because Watkins tends to prefer this caricature style for 3d animation. Only downside is that the books are pretty small for what you get for $20 a pop. 60 pages of sketches and paintings. The paper used is very high quality but they still feel like magazines. You can check out some images from the book at www.imaginismstudios.com

Last edited by Bucket; July 21, 2007, 00:15.

Comment

Recommending Kruger's Stars for caricature refference. It has some of Sebastian Kruger's best caricature artwork. Nuff said.

Check out his gallery at http://www.krugerstars.com

Last edited by Bucket; January 16, 2006, 02:49.

Comment

nice caricatures.

Comment

I am recommending the book Force by Michael Mattesi. This book is about drawing the human figure. The main idea he explains is a line force that sweeps through the body. Mattesi emphasizes knowing what is happening rather than seeing what is happening with the line of force. He pushes the idea of exagerating the form so that the force that flows through the figure is extremely visible. Brave strokes and one line for one thought are the fundamentals. It has about 170 pages and usually cost about $20.

I also recommend checking out Mattesi's Drawing force video tutorials. The tutorials are sort of like a video version of the book Force except it does not touch base on everything that is in the book. The videos are still pretty helpful and you get to see how Mattesi interprets the human figure. In a world of expensive dvd tutorials. Mattesi's video tutorials are a bargain at $10 to gain access to all 30 videos via online quicktime.

You can check out both at www.drawingforce.com or find the book at amazon
          First Edition
          Second Edition

Edit: The second edition has been released. The second edition is basically the first edition with more stuff. (duh)

Last edited by Bucket; October 6, 2006, 09:07.

Comment

Frezzato Sketchbook

Azpiri Sketchbook

Frank Frazetta Icon (or look at some of his other books)

Human Anatomy for Artists: The Elements of Form by Eliot Goldfinger
            Last edited by Bucket; October 6, 2006, 09:10.

Comment

Stephen Silver
              Lots of great books to check out. I think he signs all of the books he sells with a drawing of himself included. A nice touch.
              Our Silvertoons Store Offers Art Workshops, Courses, Original Prints, and Books To Help You With Character Design! Discover What Silvertoons Has To Offer!

Joan Vizcarra
              Just as talented as Sebastian Krueger. (although I like Krueger's interpretations a lot) Still, very good to check out his books and his gallery. Be warned some of his work has nudity.

I don't think you will be able to find either of their books listed anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
              X