Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just had a brain fart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just had a brain fart

hey guys, Im allways trying to think of intuitive ideas to make great work over the long breaks we have. say we try an animation game, more or less what happens is we post our rigged characters, and pit them against each other in a battle, which ever animation looks the best or most convincing wins. That winner chosses the next battle.

What about a collaborative project?

Comment

that happens in 3d5 or app depending, and after working with will this much it makes anyone go insane (fo DAMN sure).

Comment

If your looking for something to do. You could always look into new technologies. Study parts of the app you don't know. I'm sure everyone already does this but usually only for what is important to their content.

Shader Tech seems to be black hole in the maya quadrant as there is sparse info dealing with it. It is something that could make your stuff stand out amongst the rest of the people who just hit the render button with the default shaders.

You could also work on rigging. Rigged textures to give more emphasis on facial bumps, wrinkles, etc. Circular based ik aim constraints for multiple legged creatures with little articulation for each leg. (aliens face huggers used this as a real world practical solution it works in cg also)
        箴 言 18:12
        敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

Comment

That is very true, I know there is a demand for people who can write good shaders. Not many people can do it well... relatively speaking I guess...

But I guess you must be Thomas... heh...

What about a bigger film/animation etc project.. something alot of people can come together on and create something really stunning... I have no idea what, but I'd definitely be interested in participating as much as possible. :) I'm sure everyone has a diverse range of talents that together could make something really fun and interesting.... right?

Comment

True. But it is the killer concept that will bring in the volunteers.

Comment

The tethered island project that I think Aaron Sims is on has been happening for a long time, usually projects like that are very disconnected and dont lead to a higher standing that in WIP status. I mean how many mods have you seen completed that have made it big? only one that I can think of is counterstrike which had a dedicated team of individuals who worked closly together and didnt have regulars come in and volenteer all the time. Plus this idea is everythings done except the animation, and well that part can be done in a remote timeframe, Im just thinking of things that dont require an extreme amount of dedication, just enough to make you inspired and something taht you had alot of fun doing.

Comment

Problems associated with those internet projects is that the people working on those projects are disconencted from each other. They don't communicate often and when they do, it is through email. Communication through email is slow because ideas bounce back and forth over a period of days and sometimes months. Even communication through webcam is limited. It helps to be in the same room and work with tangible objects to communicate ideas. (maquettes, drawings etc) You have a unique opportunity being with a group of cg people at a university. Many of the people on this board are local and you know them in real life. Thus you can meet these people in real life, shoot ideas back and forth extremely quickly. It's not impossible to do a project, you just have to commitment. You need to set deadlines and make those deadlines. You have to get the group to believe in the project. The best way to achieve that is by providing the killer concept.

Comment

Working...
                X