Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

web space, something for my portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• web space, something for my portfolio

Alrighty, I want to begin development of a portfolio online. I have the skills needed to make a basic website to showcase what I have. However, I know nearly nothing about web space purchases. I understand the basic idea that a company's price is related to the size of the website as well as how much information transfer occurs. What other factors if any should I be concerned with?

P.S. What are the processes that a company goes through to register a www.(insert name).com domain name? Is there any way I can cut them out of the picture and just register one myself; and if there was, who would I register with that would have authority over "the internet" so that 100s of people couldn't have the same adress? I apologize for the long-windedness I just want to hear about this kind of info because "I like to know stuff."
    Jacob

my alsziehiemer's (see I forgot how to spell)

I almost forgot; I was also wondering what specs would be best to maintain the site as a portfolio for both clients and graduate program applications....those are all "some-day" affairs however. I just want to get a good foothold now.

Comment

Re: web space, something for my portfolio

Originally posted by jcall
      Alrighty, I want to begin development of a portfolio online. I have the skills needed to make a basic website to showcase what I have. However, I know nearly nothing about web space purchases. I understand the basic idea that a company's price is related to the size of the website as well as how much information transfer occurs. What other factors if any should I be concerned with?

P.S. What are the processes that a company goes through to register a www.(insert name).com domain name? Is there any way I can cut them out of the picture and just register one myself; and if there was, who would I register with that would have authority over "the internet" so that 100s of people couldn't have the same adress? I apologize for the long-windedness I just want to hear about this kind of info because "I like to know stuff."
      Jacob
      this is what you'll need to have your own domain with hosting:
      you need to sign up for web hosting. the host can either register the domain for you when you sign up for the hosting, or you can register the domain yourself. most of the time, when the host registers the domain for you, they will have control of the domain account. i recommend going to GoDaddy and registering your domain name. Once you have done this, you can pick any web host, and tell them you have a domain registered already. there are tons of web hosts out there, so i recommend you visit Web Hosting Talk and browsing through the forums to choose a web host. some are recommended by many other users on those forums. once you have purchased your domain name, and web hosting, you will need to change your nameservers at your GoDaddy account, which your web host will give you.

as far as purchase prices, etc.... you should think about how much space you will be taking up with your website, and how much you will probably need in the future. bandwidth (information transfer) is a very important aspect in your purchase decision as well. no use in having a cool website if you run out of bandwidth in the middle of every month!

also, once you register a domain, you don't have to worry about "authority" or anyone else having the same domain, because it's impossible.

a common portfolio site may be hosted on a plan such as:
      300mb of space and 8g of bandwidth. of course those numbers are just thrown out there, and there will be wild variations between various web hosts that you will find out there.

i personally recommend Credible Host as a web host. i am hosted with them, and they are reliable, and respond quickly to service requests, or what not. their prices are very competitive as well.

hope this helps!

Joseph

Comment

JCALL!

I registered my domain name and service with aussie host, and for the most part they are pretty good. So good that even Michael Clayton help a couple of us student start their very own domain name and host with them.

At Aussie Hosts we provide cPanel web hosting, domain names registration, WordPress hosting, e-Commerice hosting, SSL certificates, Cloud Solutions and more

You might want to ask MC for futher info on pricess and so forth!

Here is my site: http://www.dgraphics51.com

I believe I get 100 mb of space, and if you need more than that you need to optimize images, because a web site should'n be bigger than 3mb.

I also have unlimited emails

5 database and it supports mysql and php!

3 gigs of transfer!

what else can you ask for?

Looking for services is the hard part! developing and designing the website is the easy part!

Comment

http://www.enhancedhost.com/ is the address that BBP should have put (its the US arm of Aussiehost).

They have the AH01 plan (which I require of all my Web II students) which has the following for $27.50 a year:
          • 100 MB of Disk Space with Unlimited Subdomains!
          • 3 GB of Monthly Data Transfer
          • PHP/Perl/CGI/SSI Support
          • 5 mySQL Databases
          • Unlimited POP3 Mailboxes & Aliases
          • Catch All Mailbox Feature

Plus you can register you domain name for $10 a year.

Just visit the site and type in the magic (credit card) number and you're set!
          ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Check the Links!

I don't know but I think the link might be broken, or I must be having some kind internet problems. Still, I cannot link to the site.

Apologize for not having the correct facts.

I have to admite that they are a pretty good web host company and I plan to renew my subscription!

Aussie Rock my WebSite!!!

Comment

Working...
            X