Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me find a new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a new PC

I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum, however is is related to the creative suite software.

I'm able to get a decent discount on dell PC's and I'm looking for something
    that will support the Creative suite bundle with out any problems. I'm by no means a computer buff, so I figured some one here might know.

Here is a link to the Dell Desktops.
    Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Thanks,
    Jerry
    About to start life @ the SMU guildhall :D

Moved the thread to the resource forum... not sure where it should go, but this is good.

Before we start picking systems... what's your budget? (So you can get the best bang for your buck.)
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Well If I had no budget which one is best?

and If I had to spend under maybe 1000
      I don't need anything super fantastico, just a good computer that will be able to run these programs and not struggle. I'd even consider a laptop if it were better bang for buck.

Jerry

Comment

One more question... are you planning on the 3D or the Graphic Design track?

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

3d

Comment

Look in these threads first, Anthony had the same question.

Comment

Pc

Originally posted by Professor Clayton
              If I were at a job where my computer was a factor of my livelihood, I'd have to say that I would buy it from a manufacturer (i.e. Dell, Boxx, Apple, etc.) and get a good warrantee with a good reputation for quick repairs.

I'm not saying that a homemade PC is bad, but if you don't know what you're doing you have a Frankenstein on your hands. Do all the pieces fit together? Does your motherboard play friendly with the processor? Is your RAM paired correctly? Do you have enough fans to keep it cool? Does your sound card have the right drivers?

When you get something from the factory you at least know that it was made to play friendly.
              Originally posted by Professor Watkins
              Big video card. Lottsa ram. Big processor....in that order.

Or, and lottsa storage space; but hard drives are cheap.
              With these two comments, which would best suite me?, Like I said I'm by no means a computer buff :(

Comment

Prob leaning towards the Dimension 510 with the 1GB ram.
                Would this be enough? Or would 512 mb be plenty?

Comment

If you can swing it, I'd go with the next step up. It has a removable video card (not integrated like the 510), the RAM is in 2x512 sticks (not 4x256), the HD is faster, there are two optical drives and a good sound card.

But that's my opinion.

I'll let some 3D folks chime in.

Comment

are you talking about the XPS 400?

Comment

Be sure to check out http://www.cyberpowersystem.com

They have some of the best prices I've seen anywhere and may be able to beat your discount price.

Comment

"If you can swing it, I'd go with the next step up. It has a removable video card (not integrated like the 510), the RAM is in 2x512 sticks (not 4x256), the HD is faster, there are two optical drives and a good sound card."

Clayton's points are dead on. Having the expandability no matter what system you get is very nice. I'd say minimum 1 gig of ram for 3D (make sure you can upgrade to 2gigs), a nice 256mb video card (you can swing it with less, but why?), and a couple of fast hard drives (1 for backups). Sound for 3D, doesn't really matter much, plus most stock cards are decent enough for whatever nowadays. A dvd burner would be preferable, but if you can't, at least get a cdrw (for additional backups) and a regular dvd drive.
                        Some other equipment to consider: Battery backup system, scanner, digital camera (not webcam or phonecam), portable USB drive (later on a portable hard drive, or case that you can insert an internal hard drive into to port around). A printer for 3D isn't essential, but most of those packages from Dell allow you to add one on anyways. Ok, I'm about burned out from school right now, but I'm sure there are other things to consider, good luck, hope this helps some.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Working...
                          X