Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mirror Geometry problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Geometry problem

Yeah, I have no idea what is going on. But my model isn't mirroring correctly.

I've deleted the object's history, made sure all the verticies that are supposed to be on the axis are, and I've made sure to turn off retain component spacing. I don't know what's wrong...
    Attached Files
    "If you wanna see some action, gotta be the center of attraction."

I think it has to do with the Merge Threshold option. If it is too high I think it pulls vertices from farther away. You can lower the value if I remember right. Here's a pic of what option I'm talking about. Hope that works. Oh yeah, the option was under Poly Mirror in the right side there, it's highlighted in grey.
    Attached Files

Comment

Remember that you can choose to mirror geometry around the +X or -X directions. I'm assuming that you want to do it along the -X direction (tough to tell from the screenshot which is your original half).

Do make sure that you ahve the object's axis right X axis as well.

Comment

this problem has come up for me a lot recently as well, but my only answer is doing the same thing another way.
        Whenever it happens to me, I just duplicate, set the X Scale to -1, combine and merge the verticies down the middle

Got a gamertag? check out the thread - http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4828

PS, This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Comment

I've got more mirroring geometry problems...

Everything that has to be done for mirroring geometry has been done (all the verticies are on the axis, mirror is set at -X, etc.)

When I constructed the face in the beginning I know I moved the original verticies to the side to line up with the source image. I know that is the problem. A classmate showed me how to correct it, but I can't remember what to do. Any suggestions other than painstakingly merging the edges individually...? Anyone know how to solve this problem?
          Attached Files
          "If you wanna see some action, gotta be the center of attraction."

Comment

I got on MSN with alex at like 1am, and we worked out the problem with the mirror. Apparently, the modeled head was rotated very slightly, so even though everything was snapped, when it mirrored, it would mirror the front part of the head closer together (yet seperate) than the rear of the head. Here is the transcript from MSN!

Janzer says:
            I changed the values in the rotation, the y, x, and z, to zero
            Janzer says:
            and then, i just grabbed the object, and moved it to the right, away from the central axis
            space cowboy in the modern age says:
            hmmm
            really?
            Janzer says:
            at that point, i made sure that the vertices that were closest to the axis, were very close if not on
            Janzer says:
            those were the ones in the front, by the face
            Janzer says:
            after that, i went through, and grabbed all the vertices that SHOULD align on the axis, and snapped them after that
            Janzer says:
            then it mirrored fine
            Janzer says:
            you'll have to check the face geometry, to make sure it didn't mess it up much, if at all
            alright
            i'm gonna try it myself and see how it works out

Comment

cool...nice work tracking that down.

sometimes you can also fix the problem by Freezing Transformation (which will zero out all the Translate, Rotate and Scale attributes). Then with a renewed snap of the center vertices, the mirror will work.

Comment

Duh, Freeze Transformation, I'm such an idiot! Man I was always told that I like doing things the hard way hahahaahha.

Comment

Working...
                X