Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help in InDesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help in InDesign

how do I create a clipping mask in InDesign??? I now miss Illustrator.

Non-rectangular frames in InDesign

In addition to the method previously posted for getting non-rectangular image frames, you can start in InDesign with a rectangular frame and import your content and then alter the frame shape it fit the content using the pen tool to add (or subtract or alter) points and the direct select tool to move the points.

This means that frames act pretty much like clipping paths.

One of these 2 methods should do the trick for you.
    Attached Files
    "No cape darling"

Comment

that's where the problem lies... im trying to clip text... can i do that? Part of my text is going to bleed off of the page... i know i have to be real careful but I'm hoping that I can pull it off... it's just a small part of the text at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by magonzales
        that's where the problem lies... im trying to clip text... can i do that? Part of my text is going to bleed off of the page... i know i have to be real careful but I'm hoping that I can pull it off... it's just a small part of the text at the bottom.

Works the same. Make the text frame with the text tool, place the text in it and use the pen tool and direct selection tool to reshape the frame.
        "No cape darling"

Comment

When I reshape the frame is makes all of my text disappear not just the portion I hid.

Comment

Perhaps you should describe in more detail or illustrate exactly what you want to do and how you are going about it so I can better understand the problem.
            "No cape darling"

Comment

okay I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear but this is what I'm doing...

I created a text box at the bottom of the page that says, "March 17." I want the bottom quarter of "March 17" to bleed off of the page. Since you told us to make our margins 8X10 it is still going to print the bottom quarter of "March 17" so I want to create a clipping mask so the bottom quarter of "March 17" won't appear.

Now I tried to edit the text box with the direct selection tool so the bottom quarter of "March 17" would be cut off but all of "March 17" disappears. I have also tried the other suggestions but the same thing happens. So I'm not to sure what to do. At this point I wonder if it would be okay for me to print the 8.5X11 page because I have a borderless printer.

Comment

Pathfinder in InDesign

Misty -

I think this is what you want. To "trim"off part of the type, use the pathfinder.
                Attached Files
                "No cape darling"

Comment

Thank you... yes that's what I was talking about... and Lauren just helped me out... THANK YOU SO MUCH... I got it to work.

Comment

Working...
                  X