Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FF7 Advent Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF7 Advent Children

----* No Spoilers Ahead*---

Story--

The story is set 2 years after the events of FF7, the first few scenes of the movie shows remade cut scenes from the game narrated by Marlene (Barrett’s daughter) to aid audiences that are unfamiliar with the premise of how this movie picks up from the game.
    The world (or what we see as midgar) is infected with a disease called Geostigma due to the after math of the planet using Lifestream to fight against the ominous Jenova Cell aka the Sephorith element, which some how deteriorates the immune system of the human body, and of course the only thing to cure it is some source of the Lifestream. But where is it to be found? While that’s sort of the Clouds mission in figuring out how to protect the orphans he lives with, what are presumably 3 spawned minions of the Sephorith Cell ,Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz wreak havoc on the Lower Sector of Midgar, searching for the source of the Jenova Cell who they believe Cloud "Brother" might have an answer.... and it just gets better from there.
    Good thing is, this movie is surprisingly better paced then A LOT of Japanese movies that I've seen. We get to see just about all the characters from the PS1 game return along with 3 new characters as the main antagonists. The problem is people that haven’t played the game are going to be lost leaving them at the end of the movie saying “Holy crap, I don’t know what the heck that was all about, but that was awesome!”

CG and Cinematography--

First off the CG is very well done as you can probably tell from the trailers, the characters were better rigged then in FF:TSW, Stylistic but believable, even though it was all mocapped (except for the beyond insane "Crouching Tiger" fight scenes).
    The good thing about the trailers that were released was, well... UNLIKE US trailers now-a-days- they don’t spoil all the best parts.. in fact, the scene in the trailer where Cloud's bike explodes soaring into the air then clashes swords with Kadaj.. well that whole scene isn’t even in the movie, but rest assure there are an ungodly number of scenes of that type of cinematographic anime style (where they really make use of the camera being the third character). And yes they do include magic spells, and familiar limit breaks.
    Speaking of which, its an Action from beginning to end, hands down, these are some of the best fight scenes you will ever see in a movie, ever, which does a great job representing the true purpose of CG Visual Effects used in Cinema today; because the things you see in this flick are totally impossible and insane! Movies like FF:TSW or Polar Express, could have been Live-Action about 90% of the cuts through, and saved a crap load of money for the Producer cause it really wouldn’t make any difference to the general audience.

My only complaint is the over kill of the “anime” style cinematographic fight scenes. Don’t get me wrong, its freaking awesome to see those fancy skewed foreshortened camera angles here and there but what would have made it better is if there were more shots aerial third person shots in between all this fluxed motion, so we can actually comprehend how these characters are fighting from a good distance. I guess Square-Enix did it on purpose so 3d gurus like myself will watch the movie frame by frame.
    My particular favorite fight scene is in the Forgotten Capital, they did a great job in one scene where we get to see full body shot of Cloud is fighting Loz and Yazoo among the several shots this was the one I liked, it was only like 1 second long but it was enough time to give me a break from all the fast close ups.
    Then there’s the facial animation, which square has a history of really poorly done facial animation in FF games, a lot of the main characters just seamed dead. The eyes and mouths were animated decently but the nose and cheeks are like plaster. The main characters that had some reasonably nice facial expressions would be Reno, Cid (who btw looks exactly like Kevin Jones), and maybe Barrett, and maybe Loz in some scenes.

Thing is I think the experience would be more enjoyable if you watched it right after you played through the game again. Overall I think it was well done, doesn’t matter whether you’ve played the game or not, watch it for the visuals, man. If you’ve never played the game or ever watched a Japanese film, chances are you’ll never understand “the true meaning” bleh. Other then that the movie is well worth getting on dvd which I believe is out on release for the US Nov 29th.

------
    btw, incase any of the feds are reading this, i have a legit Jap version of the dvd.
    Last edited by Will; September 25, 2005, 11:22.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
    -Tyler Durdan

soooo, when can I borrow it?

Got a gamertag? check out the thread - http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4828

PS, This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Comment

After me... I called first dibs. ;)
      ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Originally posted by Otaku_Zero
        soooo, when can I borrow it?
        Only if you agree to dress up like Cid for Holloween.

Cuase man seriously you look just like him, like before he started smoking.
        Last edited by Will; September 24, 2005, 21:34.
        -Tyler Durdan

Comment

I personally think I look like Loz, as you can see from the image provided we both have the same strikingly good looks. ok maybe if I removed a few pounds, died my hair white and got a nose job,
          -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Naw... you look more line Majin Buu from Dragon Ball Z.

jk ;)

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Omg you actually know his name.... I dont know you anymore sir.

actually hey we do look alike haha its the chest.
              Last edited by Will; September 24, 2005, 22:48.
              -Tyler Durdan

Comment

My son watches it every once in awhile.

I was going to post a picture of the fat Buu, but that wouldn't be nice. ;)

Comment

i have ummmmm aquired it as well.... im a huge FF fan. I wasnt crazy about The Spirits Within movie... but this one i loved.
                  The best thing about life is knowing you put it together.

Comment

Felt like Posting a quick gif hehe.
                    Last edited by Will; September 25, 2005, 19:44.
                    -Tyler Durdan

Comment

so what kinds of fun activities are planned for halloween 'round these parts?

Got a gamertag? check out the thread - http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4828

PS, This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Comment

hey I believe its hitting stateside on DVD on Nov. 22nd. However those of you who love FF prob already know.
                        "Have no fear of perfection -- you'll never reach it" -Salvador Dali

Comment

Finally the English cast has been listed on IMDB.

Some familiar names.
                          Tifa: Rachel Leigh Cook
                          Cloud: steve Burton
                          Aerith: Mena Suvari
                          Sephorith:George Newbern

as well as some cool video interviews from IGN

-Tyler Durdan

Comment

Finally the English cast has been listed on IMDB.

Some familiar names.
                            Tifa: Rachel Leigh Cook
                            Cloud: steve Burton
                            Aerith: Mena Suvari
                            Sephorith:George Newbern
                            I agree with the voices for Tifa and Cloud but as for Aerith Mena Suvari better get her act together and put some feeling to it because shes doing a horrible job in KH2. I wish Mandy Moore had done it instead. As for Sephiroth...lol at least the N-Syncer is not in it anymore.
                            "...it's simple because I love Justice and I love files and when the two come together I could blow a justicy load! I could blow a justicy filey load..."

--Dane Cook
                            "Car Alarm"
                            Retaliation

Comment

yeha thats what they said here, comments on all the voices.

Rachael Leigh Cook was apparently the best voice acting of all the characters, which is very ironic considering her interview from IGN, shes never played an FF, and doesnt plan to cause she anticipates it will jeoperdize her social life.
                              -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Working...
                              X