Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another Paper Symbol

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Paper Symbol

I am having a tough time deciding between these two variations of my Paper Company Symbol for Print I... Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    37.50%
    62.50%

Ewwww... its green! ;)

Before I vote... is there any type that is going to go with it?
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

The symbols are independent and dominant of the company name. There will be type, but that comes later...

Comment

nice I like the color choice

when I see it I think ninja star.. maybe origami.....

but thats just me
        Last edited by Will; September 9, 2005, 23:05.
        It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
        -Tyler Durdan

Comment

I'm voting 1 because 2 reminds me of a symbol used by an evil regime many decades ago. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then thats good. The designer me is always trying to avoid those things that bare resemblance to things we hate or hide.. Dunno how many designs I trashed because of something Will saw. (Dude! that looks like uh...)
          箴 言 18:12
          敗 壞 之 先 , 人 心 驕 傲 ; 尊 榮 以 前 , 必 有 謙 卑 。

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline
            The symbols are independent and dominant of the company name. There will be type, but that comes later...
            i think you really should try to add type with it right now just to see how it WOULD look with the type there. i understand that you are wanting to use the logo mainly by itself, but i think it would be wise to go ahead and design where the type would be placed, rather than taking it on. you might find that the type will effect your decision on which logo orientation will work best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucket
              I'm voting 1 because 2 reminds me of a symbol used by an evil regime many decades ago. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then thats good. The designer me is always trying to avoid those things that bare resemblance to things we hate or hide.. Dunno how many designs I trashed because of something Will saw. (Dude! that looks like uh...)

oh man, Bens got a point, thanks Ben now I cant see it any other way. yeah 1
              It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
              -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Yah, now that bucket said that all I can see is swastika. I would go with 1. Maybe it’s a statement about large paper companies being evil conglomerates like Nazis. I can see why you tried rotating it, adds some movement but I think 1 is still very workable.
                At first, writing for The New Yorker was very scary to me. I couldn't imagine anything that I would write in that typeface. ~David Sedaris

Comment

If the symbol is the same, why does the orientation always have to be the same? It would be your choice. Most of all you can not decide until it is in context . Yes, how the type works with the symbol makes a huge difference. The relationship between the symbol and the type may be flexible depending on the application but there always IS one. That affects decisions about the symbol as well as the text. They do go together.
                  "No cape darling"

Comment

Originally posted by Spooty
                    Yah, now that bucket said that all I can see is swastika. I would go with 1. Maybe it’s a statement about large paper companies being evil conglomerates like Nazis. I can see why you tried rotating it, adds some movement but I think 1 is still very workable.
                    A swastika? Come one guys, you are reading too much into it. It there's a swastika in there, then how do you feel about the logos for these companies? Chase Morgan? Sun Microsystems? Heck, even some people claim that the VW logo is a variant of the Nazi symbol. It deals with the context that its in. Now if Jacqueline has it in red on black, I'd understand, but its not.

Personally I like #2, but I would really like to see how the text would work with or the name of the paper company.
                    Attached Files
                    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Well, the reason it reads like a swastika to me has to do with the direction of the blocks of paper. The three images Clayton provided to not have the same blocks in the same arrangement. Now most Americans would not find this an issue. I didn’t notice and never would have had bucket not said anything. But if we are creating things for a global community we have to keep cultural things in mind. In Germany were I and my family have lived they are very very very sensitive to these things. With 1 I don’t see it at all with 2 I do. I vote for 1.1 still has some movement but the fun in Jackie’s design to me is no that. It’s the way she did the little fold and the way it creates negative space. That’s the fun that’s the surprise to it. As long as she maintains that I think it holds up well as a design. Now if I could only figure out a way to make my logo look not a paper towel roll.
                      At first, writing for The New Yorker was very scary to me. I couldn't imagine anything that I would write in that typeface. ~David Sedaris

Comment

Yeah, I think depending how you ordered your text will make a big difference as to which one looks better... I was trying to picture some typical designs (logo on the left, text on the right, etc) and I couldn't decide... but I think I like #2 better because it will be easier to get it to look good with different designs... I think because the 1st one doesn't align on the edges (vertical and horizontally) it would be harder to make a typeface balance with it.. I dunno I'm just rambling I guess but it seems like #2 would be easier to design with and would look better...

Btw, I love the Sun logo, it's so genius.... haha

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, that is a lot to consider. I'll keep working on it and then post some text samples..

Comment

Originally posted by Bucket
                            I'm voting 1 because 2 reminds me of a symbol used by an evil regime many decades ago.
                            That evil regime's symbol was originally a Native American meaning for eternity or peace or something like that, but I've on a caffeine binge going on a full week now so don't pay any attention to me, hehe, j/k. Number 2 has more power, visually, behind it. The premise being, triangles are the most pleasing shape to the eye, from what I've read. What's this for anyway Jacqueline?
                            JCF3D

Spiderwoodstudios

Comment

I vote for 2 for the motion sense it gives. And as far as the PC comments go, if there really that sensitive to the symbol, then they probably say the same for anything that has angles that tilt in that same config. I mean Temples in asia have that symbol everywhere to stand for peace and love and what not. now had she made it blatenly obvious I could see an issue. But as it stands, I just saw a wheel of paper turning. Not to mention it doesnt make sense why chappel show, south park, and other provacative shows are doing so well when they just equaly offend everyone, yet they do, for what reason? cause racism, allthough wrong, when given in the right context, is funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X