Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question

When I'm modeling seperate pieces like furniture, should I do them in the same scene as the room I modeled? or should I do them in a seperate scene? Can I just dump them into the room scene later? Danke

You can do either way. Sometimes its easiest just to hide the room (put it all on one layer) and model within the scene; and other times, its easier to model in another scene and then just import the parts.

If you model in a new Maya file, just save it (to your Scenes folder), then open your room and use File>Import. It will bring everything in from whatever file you pick. Sometimes it will do some funky naming and may bring in some extra layers - so there is a bit of cleaning you can do; but overall it's rather painless.

Comment

Round 2, fight!

Ok, so I made chairs out of a plane using the extrude, like I saw in class with a couch example. The plane has 4 divisions by 2. The only problem is, the under side is hollow and you can see up it! It's like a shell that you can see if you were laying on the ground, but not from the top. Should I find a different method to make a chair?

Comment

Actually, the example in class was done with a cube - not a plane. However, if the only problem is that the bottom has no polygons, that wouldn't be too big a problem since you probably wouldn't see the bottom.....although ultimately it could get pretty hard to make the couch have a good clean bottom.

You can use the Append to Polygon tool (Edit Polygons>Append to Polygon) to create a new collection of polygons across the bottom. That's kind of a tricky tool though and it might not be entirely intuitive to try and work out. If you can wait, we can fill the bottom in when you come to class on Tuesday.

Comment

Ok, here's another question....how "functional" does everything have to be? Shelves must pull out? Shelving doors open? Folders flip open? Door knobs turn? Or is this just a walk thru lookie but no touch?

Comment

No need for functionality. Since we aren't going to be animating this scene, you needn't worry about getting things set up to move.

Comment

Working...
            X