Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paper Company Sketches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper Company Sketches

Here are some of the sketches I braught this morning. What do you think? Am I going in the right direction? Please e-mail me whenever you get a chance. Thanks and have a great weekend.

p6

p6

Comment

I think you would be doing better to post these in the critique area of the forums called the "Easel"

you will have the opportunity of hearing from many more people who have already been in your shoes. not to mention Fagan asked us to post them there.

"Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.

Homer Simpson"

sigpic

Comment

What is the name of the paper company? Do they just supply paper material, or is it specialized paper types? One huge thing that Professor Fagan taught me was, if I did not understand written word of any kind, would I be able to tell what this logo was about.

P3 the green background far left side appeals to me because I'm a sucker for high contrast :P. Some of the P4 stuff says paper to me too. The rest pretty much makes me think "origami", especially before I read your statements.

Hope that helps a little, I think I should go read the guidlines for the project next time before I post O.o

Comment

Nicole-
          this is the appropriate place for work to be critiqued. There are a lot of creative eyes and minds in our classes, take advantage of this as a resource.

I can not seem to open these except as small browser images so I can not see them as clearly as I would like. Also, I can not draw comments or corrections on them. It would be better to repost (at least some of your favs) as jpegs that are openable in Photoshop or Illustrator so I can give you a clearer response.

Just keep in mind that crits here can help but can never substitute for a class crit since they can not be as precise or in depth. Hopefully though, we can fill in the gaps.
          "No cape darling"

Comment

what is the name of your paper company?

overall, i like the sketches you have as far as being organic. they seem to represent origami folds. however, i dont see any sort of resemblance to any name, especially without knowing the name of your paper company. it might be worth trying to form the initial of your company out of an origami shape, perhaps.

Comment

The size limit for images that are attached is 1024 x 768, so you do have the room to make them larger.
              ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

psd sketches

Originally posted by Professor Fagan
                Nicole-
                this is the appropriate place for work to be critiqued. There are a lot of creative eyes and minds in our classes, take advantage of this as a resource.

I can not seem to open these except as small browser images so I can not see them as clearly as I would like. Also, I can not draw comments or corrections on them. It would be better to repost (at least some of your favs) as jpegs that are openable in Photoshop or Illustrator so I can give you a clearer response.

Just keep in mind that crits here can help but can never substitute for a class crit since they can not be as precise or in depth. Hopefully though, we can fill in the gaps.
                Hi Dennie, I have been sketching away but wanted to make sure I had been developing more defined sketches from the right roughs. Here are the sketches again but with notations on which ones I am further working on. I will send you those too tonight but I dont have access to a scanner right now. Thanks. ;O)

Oh and for anyone elses comments, I didn't want to use the letter S. I wanted my logo to be recognizable as paper or paper oriented with or without knowing the name of the paper company. But thanks!! ;o)
                Last edited by ProfClayton; September 6, 2005, 13:31. Reason: Replaced large PSD files with smaller JPGs - MC

Comment

Nicole,

Not to be a pain, but I noticed that you attached PSDs to your last post that were each almost 1 MB in file size. So together, the attachments were over 4 MBs.

Then I opened one up and saw that there were no other layers - just one flat background layer - or anything that would warrant the file needing to be a PSD, so I changed them all to JPGs (at 90%) and reuploaded them for you.

In the future, if you post an image that is just a flat single layer, please save the image as a JPG or a GIF. It will help us save space on the server.

Now if there is a project that you are working on that involves showing one us a problem and it involves using a layered PS file, then a PSD attachment would be appropriate.

Thanks.
                  ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Paper company Sketches

I think that in general most are far too complex visually. I picked a few of the simplier ones as a jumping off point for my points but most of what I said here might apply to just about any of them. Stop and analyze the designs in light of basic design principles. Don't worry, we all have to go back and remind ourselves of that stuff when working under pressure.

Also consider some of the responses that you have gotten asking about the name. They might be wanting a clearer concept even if it is not an initial. Some kind of extra creative look at paper.

In class last time, we spent some time talking about the use of alignments and repetition to help unify all designs. I added a really quick example of just one sort of way this might factor into your designs. Not just the one example I used but, as a general way of working.

I may be seeing these out of order but keep in mind that the organization and methodology of doing these designs is a major part of the project. It's about HOW as much as it is about WHAT. Process is the critical element here.
                    "No cape darling"

Comment

Working...
                    X