Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job Hunting...Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Hunting...Help

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or leads as to where I should apply. I just graduated in May and can't seem to land a decent graphics job. I've been looking for months now. Apparently I don't have enough experience... I can't even get a regular job at a retail store because my degree frightens them. If anyone out there has some ideas I'd really appreciate the input... I'll have to start paying back loans soon so being unemployed isn't an option.

Thanks much... *continues the hunt*

What kind of job are you looking for? Web? Print? 3D?
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

did you post your resume and portfolio on some online markets like monster.com?

Comment

I'm actually looking for anything I can get my hands on. Whether it be 3D (i wish) , print, or even something in video production...I'm up for anything. I have yet to post on monster.com but I have been doing searches through it and a few other job sites. So I have been keeping a look out for what's being offered. I've also applied at the TV stations and even Radio stations...

I have found a few interesting jobs but most are in Dallas or some other part of the 'world'. I don't have the money to relocate so I need some ideas.

I also want to put a website up but I don't even have the money to pay for the space.

Comment

Just a quick inquiry... (you don't have to answer) but who is this? If I had a little bit of your background/skills/interests, it might make things easier. Do you have a demo reel/portfolio/cd? Is your resume up to date and up to snuff?

As for money for a site... if you have $40, I can set you up with a company that will give you a domain name and space for a year (100 MB of Space, 3 G of bandwidth, unlimited email, and a few other things), or I can point you to a dozen places that would give you a spot on the web for about $5 month-to-month.

It's a tough market right now, especially in S.A., so relocating might be your only option.
          ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Originally posted by Konstanze

I have found a few interesting jobs but most are in Dallas or some other part of the 'world'. I don't have the money to relocate so I need some ideas.

I also want to put a website up but I don't even have the money to pay for the space. [/B]
            My advise would be to apply for everything everywhere . If you get the offer worry about moving then. Moving is expensive - no doubt about it- but if you have to take out a loan to move for the right job; its worth it.

Unfortunately, you have to spend money to make money. You have to spend money in order to publicize yourself.

San Antonio is a great city and I'm ever so happy to be here; but unfortunately its not a location of a lot of graphics opportunities (or at least high paying opportunities); and it has near -0- 3D opportunities. So plan on leaving.

Once your successful and rich, you can pick and choose whatever job you want coming back to SA.

Apply everywhere, be proactive in promoting yourself, and something will come along.

Comment

Ok,

Is there a certain site that shows all the jobs available around the world, or is it just a matter of looking at site around the town.

I have been debating about moving to Houston, because they offer a master in Computer Graphics. I also have an Aunt that use to live in Houston, and she told me that there always looking for Graphics designer.

Paying back loans is a tuff one indeed, and sometimes the loaner will give you an option of deferring the loan for several month so that you can get a good job, or just get enough money to start paying back - you might want to talk to lender to get the specifics. Most loan officers offer different option to pay back loans.

Comment

I do have a demo reel and portfolio but I am currently in the process of reworking it. I wanted to change a few things so they're more to my liking. This is Letty Arredondo btw... I just saw an opening for a Graphic Artist at KABB...they already have my application...I'm still looking around and have found a couple companies here. I want to start out here in San Antonio with some sort of job (need the money) before venturing out to another city. I owe well over $63,000 thanks to UIW so i'm kind of weary about getting another loan out. I'm open to any suggestions...

Comment

Originally posted by BigPoppaPump
                  Ok,

Is there a certain site that shows all the jobs available around the world, or is it just a matter of looking at site around the town.

There are some sites like Monster.com that list jobs at various places around the world. However, at any site, for a job to be posted, it must be submitted first by the employer. It's hard for most HR departments to find EVERY site out there.

So, I'd suggest checking out Monster.com and then checking out the newspapers for the cities you're interested in working in. Most of the newspapers will post their classifieds online in a searchable database. It makes it easy to see the available positions.

Originally posted by BigPoppaPump

I have been debating about moving to Houston, because they offer a master in Computer Graphics. I also have an Aunt that use to live in Houston, and she told me that there always looking for Graphics designer.
                  There are a lot of programs with MAs. However, I'd advise that if you're looking at any Master's programs make sure to get an MFA (Master of Fine Arts). It's a terminal degree (meaning the highest level degree offered in the area) and will ensure more money and more opportunities.

As for Houston looking for Graphic Designers; so is San Antonio. Most every city of any size will be looking for Graphic Design work. Larger cities will have a larger demand, but they will also have a larger pool or more qualified applicants. So be sure to apply for positions, but don't sell the farm until you've got the offer in hand.

No matter what city you're looking at remember that the Portfolio is king. Work and rework that portfolio making sure to package youself as exactly and professionally as you can. Most graphic design positions are at advertising and graphic design companies who are in the business of "packaging" a company. If you can't "package" yourself - they'll knkow you can't "package" a client.

Degrees never promise work (BA, BFA, MA, or MFA). They sure help though. Still make sure that your portolio is continuing to grow and that its showing your knowledge and skill.

Finally, remember that getting that first job can be a slow time. After the first full time gig, the other opportunities flow more smoothly. Have patience with that first job and keep applying everywhere. Something will show.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstanze
                    I want to start out here in San Antonio with some sort of job (need the money) before venturing out to another city. I owe well over $63,000 thanks to UIW so i'm kind of weary about getting another loan out. I'm open to any suggestions...
                    Keep working on that demo reel; and remember that if you're applying for a job as a graphic designer, they probably don't care about a demo reel - they'll want to see a graphic designer portfolio. So make sure that you have a graphic design portfolio ready to show for a graphic design job.

I can understand your reluctance about the loan; but, do remember that San Antonio is one of the lowest paying cities for graphic designers. Which means that even with a job here, it will take you longer to get the loan paid off than it might at another city.

In either case, any job will pay off loans faster than no job. So apply everywhere (far and wide) and the right job will show up. Don't limit yourself to San Antonio though......

Comment

MFA?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the University at Houston does offer a MFA in Graphics. Thanks for the input Adam Watkins

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for all your help :) I'm gonna keep working at it...so I can get my name out there.

Letty

Comment

Working...
                        X