Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I made a chair... go me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a chair... go me

Taking a short break, thought I'd show off my Hisory of Interior Design and Furniture II project, we had to build a miniature chair. Mine is a Lambert Hitchcock chair. Took 5 days, a table clamp, some dowels and baaaalllllssaaaa wood.......(inside joke) sodering tool, 3 packs of super glue, my gfs drummel tool and an automated grinder for manual leg turning.

The whole process required a crap load of carving, shaving, and burning, I almost got lazy on the burning part. I tried to dip the wood in paint thinner, lit a match and accidently set myself on fire. I learned a valuable lesson, Old navy sweaters dont blaze up as fast as I thought they would. Later I spent a few hours burning the wood surface with the sodering tool instead to give it that antique kinda look.

Super Glue is a wonderful sealing tool It was quite a challenge putting the chair together though, I ended up gluing my fingers together, fingers to the chair, chair to my face, face to my hand. It wasnt so bad except red patches on my hand and face that I now have. So later once it was all put together it took about 2 days to stain and varnish the wood.

Oh and the seat itself is made of burlap,its pretty cool, it was white and then I soaked it in Folgers Coffee, to get the stain, and then burnt the heck out of my moms ironing table after starching the material so much it became a huge piece of chex mix.

Any who heres the chair. Beats the heck out of the project i did last semester, which was a small scaled size of the Egyptian Temple of Khonsu,... I spent one day on it last semester which is so sad. If you didnt know any better you would have thought it was a bunch of french toast and pop tart table scraps compiled up to look like something from a Denny's breakfast buffet line.I'lltry to dig up a pic of it sometime. anyways back to work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Will; March 21, 2005, 23:13.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
    -Tyler Durdan

heres the reference pick.
    Attached Files
    -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Pretty good facsimilie.

I'm curious as to what she'll think of it.
      ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Yeah, waaaaaaaay better then the pop tart house you turned in last time. I think she was pretty generous with the grading on that one. I am sure she will love the chair. She’s probably expecting a pop tart chair.
        At first, writing for The New Yorker was very scary to me. I couldn't imagine anything that I would write in that typeface. ~David Sedaris

Comment

That looks so awesome. How big is it?

Comment

about 11.5 inches tall. thanks for the comments.
            -Tyler Durdan

Comment

Working...
            X