Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IQ Technology Company Logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IQ Technology Company Logo

This logo is based on a technology company and i want to know what needs to be fixed, thanxs.

Why is the "O" extruded and the "i" flat?

Plus the shadows and the perspective are completely off. Take a roll of masking tape and set it on end next to a lamp for reference.

That and I'd lose the stroke, let the colors separate themselves.

By the way, I moved this thread to "The Easel" since that is the critique thread.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

As discussed in class Thursday if you are going for the clean and simple look, take time to look at 3com’s logo. They were able to have created for its corporate identity a logo that was simple but yet sophisticated enough to be identified as a technology company.

The companies name is IQ, currently the way the logo reads is if it were named Oi or Qi.. Consider redefining the shapes, think about the positive and negative spacing, shadows or possibly moving away form the letters IQ.
      "You aren't Mister Current Affairs are you? The "Mad Fish" went mad, and "The Gun" shot himself," Turkish, Snatch

Comment

Thanks for the comments Pro. clayton and drodri. However it would have been better if you had mentioned the Oi problem when we were looking at our roughs and thumbnails instead of after we had turn in our final design. Thats why i am making such a big deal now because you always asked us what we thought about are design but you never tell us what we need to fix. Especially when i received my final grade on the project, I had no comments which i thought was weird since you had grade it so low. Maybe next time we do critiques we can all share what we think about each others project. Also i thought this was a class to improve our skills on Photoshop and Illustrator, not a design class.
        Last edited by acarrera; February 12, 2005, 00:05.

Comment

Design and software skills coincide with each other, without each one you can not develop your skills (questions and design ideas help in this venture).. As for talking about it in class I offered you several suggestions which is obvious you did not consider. Bottom line the amount of time you put forth in this project was obvious considering the output your peer’s delivered.

Look at the effort you put forth when developing your Billboard, you must remember that one project is not better or more important then they other. All the projects scheduled for this semester are there to not only improve your tech skills, but also your design, sketching and use of color, etc. As the projects change the more I expect you to be more creative not only in the design but also in the advancement of your Tech skills (difficult ideas require new techniques with the Photoshop and illustrator)
          "You aren't Mister Current Affairs are you? The "Mad Fish" went mad, and "The Gun" shot himself," Turkish, Snatch

Comment

I agree design and skills coincide but when one does not know such programs well enough then how are they to make such great designs. Yeah you went through it but you flew by it so fast like there was no tomorrow.

As for offering suggestions, the only one you gave me was for the one I had to choose since no one told me which idea was better of my thumbnails. By the way you never looked at all the thumbnails either, so i dont know how i got a grade for that. In addition, I spent as much time on both projects. One ends up looking better because I had something to work with. This one however is simple just like IBM, HP, and Dell because those designs helped me to create mine. Therefore, I designed a project based on those ideas because if I were to put those on a PC a shadow or gradient would not make the buyer buy the product.

Now in my other classes I was told we were graded on our own work not by how other students work looked like. In addition, the other students had a very different logo company than mine so what they did for theirs should not affect my grade. Their logo was for a T-shirt company so their logos would look better because that is what attracts the buyer to those clothes.

As for others working harder than me, Matt told me he worked just as hard yet he got the same grade as me. I just find it difficult to understand how all of the people who did the IQ technology company received a grade no higher than an 80, when it was obvious that some people put in much time and effort into the creation of their logos. Did we all not put enough time and effort into our IQ technology company logo?
            Last edited by acarrera; February 13, 2005, 14:40.

Comment

"Now in my other classes I was told we were graded on our own work not by how other students work looked like. In addition, the other students had a very different logo company than mine so what they did for should not affect my grade. Their logo was for a T-shirt company so the logos would look great because that is what makes the buyer want those clothes."

I don't think it was the fact that we had a clothing company versus a tech company. I think what wasn't communicated, was that the logos were expected to be more complex graphically, and not as basic looking as what was submitted. Apple is a computer company, and it uses a simple apple shape as a graphic. That is something more than nothing.

You are right, you can't really look across the way to what the other half of the class did in comparison, in one sense. But once again, I think what was not communicated, was that it would be preferred if we had done a complex design, or something more graphical, than what was put forth.

"Did we all not put enough time and effort into our IQ technology company logo?"

To say that time was not spent is conjecture (to me)....student's levels and concepts of design at this point (2nd semester) can vary I would think. That is why we are learning, if we had all the great designs already we'd not be here.

Personally, I choose to work with more basic concepts, because I don't have a full grasp of design elements. Therefore I am trying to work on these things, hence the basic clothing design I did that was mainly type oriented, rather than graphic based. Although I do agree, it would have been some direction more than none, to have said that the designs along the way, were not as complex or as graphic as was wanted, rather than suggestions as to what our designs should look like, which is more a change of the concept, than an idea of what is wrong with what we have.

"As for others working harder than me, Matt told me he worked just as hard yet he got the same grade as me. I just find it difficult to understand how all of the people who did the IQ technology company received a grade no higher than an 80, when it was obvious that some people put in much time and effort into the creation of their logos."

It may not be a coincidence that since my logo was "simple" or rather "non-graphically complex", I am in the IQ company's grade range. The rest of the side that I was on, decided for a more graphical approach, which to me and my research, didn't fit in. From my understanding, a logo has to be able to be resized to fit on whatever media type you will print it on....whether it be business card, shirt tag, bags, envelope, etc. Therefore, following my research, I decided on something that would not be graphical in nature, realizing that this would clutter up shirt tags, price tags, etc. Plus, I knew that most major labels used basic logos as it was. We were told during the final presentation/critique, that the logo should not vary in color or how it looks from one place to another. This seemed to make sense to me. Either way, not knowing that I was going in a direction that would earn me a lower grade, I continued along with my design thinking that everything apparently must be alright. I would have loved some feedback as to what was wrong with the design, rather than suggestions as to what I can do to the design. Since I got no negative feedback, I had no idea there was something wrong. Yes, I missed glaring mistakes, but like I said, I'm learning here. The ideas should mostly come from us, and the corrections I would hope come from instructors, who have the experience to tell us, hey, that looks like crap :D

Comment

Thanks Janzer for proving my point so well. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Comment

I would have to agree with acarrera and janzer. Even though my designed turned out to be somewhat complex, it was not communicated that in order to receive a decent grade, one must create a graphically complex logo. Some of the other people who created very simple logos for the IQ technolgy company, did so for good reason. Here are a few logos from some of the leading technology companies that are around today.
                  sigpic

Comment

simple is sometimes best....just check out paul rand's logos! ups, ibm, westinghouse

Comment

Working...
                    X