Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free-lance Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free-lance Work?

I have a question about free-lance work. I did some free-lance work using Flash MX for a client, and before I would just give him the final product. But now he wants the raw file that came with the project, and I was just wondering if in the free-lance world – do I have to give him the raw Flash MX Files?

I always discuss it before hand with the client, and most often times, the let me keep them since they don't want to pay for them. They would like me to do the updates and keep things going.

But I'm looking in on it for you.

In my research I found this article which you might enjoy.

‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

... and this one too:

If you've been in the web developing business for a decent amount of time, then you know this scenario all too well: You're sitting there talking with a friend or a potential

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

FlashMX

Well, should I charged more for the raw files since we did not discuss it in the first place, and it never came up. Til the other day when he requested to see the flash intro.

Below is the link to the splash intro:
        Last edited by BigPoppaPump; July 14, 2003, 14:35.

Comment

This is a great discussion; and one that is fairly specific to each area of concentration.

Mike, what do you think about developing a FAQ somewhere in the forums where we could put some "Best Practices" for Web, Print, and 3D to help folks have some guidelines before they go into negotiations on their freelance.

We cover some of this in Senior Portfolio, but the specifics will be different for each area of emphasis.

Adam

Comment

A lesson learned

Well, against my better judgment I decided that maybe it was not such a big deal. It not like it was a thousand dollar deal. It was more of a nickel and dime deal, but I suspect in the years to come that it would be a good idea to bring up the raw files, that way no ones gets taken advantage of. It is kind of hard though, because Billy down the street is willing to do it for pennies. I know Billy is not the greatest designer, but some people don’t understand the concept of a well stylist web site. It’s almost like a plain business card that people carry around to show to clients (the same business card everyone has down the Jones’ street!). It might satisfy your needs, but sometimes the look makes a difference between a nickel and dime deal and a thousand dollar deal. In any case this was a good lesson learned that I will plan to correct for my future as a Web Designer.

Comment

Nice attitute Larry! :up:

But you have to remember, the file you did for him was just an intro (and not a very complicated one, but well done), so that was probably the best solution.

(How's that for a quick reply?)

Comment

Thanks!

Survival of the fittest or is it survival of the smartest. Well I forget, but thanks for the input.
                Last edited by BigPoppaPump; July 17, 2003, 13:07.

Comment

Working...
                X