Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying a new printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a new printer

ok finally after like a whole year i will have the extra this semster to buy a new printer. I was looking at the Epson Stylus Photo 1280 which is $399 but im trying to look around as much as i can before i commit. Who knows when ill be able to buy another one!!! Anyway i was perusing the Hp website and i came across the HP deskjet 9670 which is $499. What do you all think of that one? It has automatic 2 side printing (how accurate that may be well - you know), and does the up to 13x19 just like the epson. What i found really interesting is when i was looking at in the comparison view it said that it has a straight-through paper path for printing on thick media. I wonder what they consider "thick" media. I need to call and find out. I love to print on thick paper, but they say thick media - does that mean something other than regular paper? hmmmm. Anyway what kind of printers do you people out there have???

Kelley

ps. my dad has the next model up from the epson that i mention and he said they print pretty slow. But slow could be a good thing.... right?
    The best thing about life is knowing you put it together.

hey Kelley -

if you're leaning towards the Epson Stylus, you may want to look at Best Buy or check out the circular. I went this past Christmas and they had a high-end Epson (for $399...I want to say that was the model, but I can't be 100% sure) with a $100 rebate, which put it at $299.

I don't know if this was just a holiday promotion, but it might be worth it to check again and see if it's still being offered.

Comment

I have an hp deskjet 9670, and we got it for about $300.

It prints borderless 13x19, and its great. Got that price from Costco's online store last year. You can probably find it cheaper if you search online.

And thick means cardstock. You can shove cardboard through the "buttcrack" of it, and it goes straight in (not like regular paper rolling through the rollers from the bottom tray to get through to the print heads.
      Because it goes straight in and stays flat the whole time, you can use thicker stocks of paper.
      "I wouldn't sell any of your graphic design books. Now your english and science books...sell those and use the money to go drink" -Prof. Johnson

Comment

Ohhh ill have to look for a better price then! I got that one of the Hp website. Do you have to be a member to shop the Costco website? Ive found that sometimes its a little cheaper online but thats only because you have to factor in shipping (but your price was considerably cheaper even if it was 50 or something to ship it). Oh yeah, how often do you have to change the ink cartridges?

Kelley
        The best thing about life is knowing you put it together.

Comment

I don't know if you have to be a member (probably) because my uncle got it for me.

And I did the last half of print (Giant full color posters!) and a few stuffs during the break, and it started whining for more ink, but I just re-fill the cartrages with ink, and they work good as new. The ink re-filling kit is at Sams for about 25 bucks, and believe me, it lasts a looooooong time. As long as you don't muck things up.

This is the cheapest I can find it right now, but I'm not really looking. My uncle got it around holiday time, so maybe it was on sale.
          "I wouldn't sell any of your graphic design books. Now your english and science books...sell those and use the money to go drink" -Prof. Johnson

Comment

Working...
          X