Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image Plane problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Plane problem

I'm trying to model a RX-7 in my spare time, and I found some great source images to use and I have them set up nicely, but when I move the camera to where the images would move off of the top or right side of the screen, instead of just moving out of view, they squish up and distort the image.

does anyone know how or why this is happening?
    the only thing I can think of is my new video card might be screwing with it, I got a Radeon 9550 256MB vid card for christmas, that's all I can think of right now.

someone please help, it's really annoying to work that way.

Got a gamertag? check out the thread - http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4828

PS, This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

are you talking about when you are looking in the FRONT and/or SIDE views? i've had some weird problems regarding the image plane when i zoom in and move around in those views, and the only solution i've had was CREATING A NEW FRONT/SIDE CAMERA. so just create a new front or side camera for whichever one is causing problems, and the image plan should not do any weird distortions or anything when you move around and zoom in.
    Pi Studios

Comment

yeah, pretty much any time the image should go out of sight from the top or right side of any view beside perspective, it squished up. And I did end up creating new views as a last ditch thing after I posted last night, and that fixed the problem, so thanks for you help.

Got a gamertag? check out the thread - http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4828

PS, This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Comment

I have always found that it is much easier and more versatile to just map the image on a 1X1 plane and apply it to a layer

This way you can control it's transparency, or turn it off if you want. Also you can slide it behind your object so it doesn't intersect it, but it still looks good from the front and side views.

Just pay attention to the size in photoshop and make the plane the same ratio. Like if it was 800X600 make it 8X6 or something, and you can scale the front side pics together after you bring them in.

That's the way I always do it. I have never heard an advantage to doing it with an image plane, if there is one tell me.
        http://www.jennybarton.com

Comment

One advantage of using Image Planes is that they are visible in the Top/Front views, but not in the Perspective (if you set up the Image Plane right). So, you can have your reference fully visible in orthographic views where you want it, but not cluttering your scene in perspective where you'd want to get a clean look at your geometry. There is no need for adjusting transparencies then.....

Comment

I prefer doing it the way Jenny described....I make the planes one sided under render stats in the attribute editor....they will be visible when view the front of the geometry but will be behind the geometry. when viewing the back side of the geometry the planes will be invisible.

I prefer creating the planes over useing images planes because for some reason images planes seem to take up more memory and on certain graphics gards it takes time for the images to refresh whenever you pan or zoom in the ortho views. Either way works but I find it more efficient for myself to just adjust the transparency of the objects.
            "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
            - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
            - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Comment

Working...
            X