Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a copy of SA Express News for Wed, Nov 10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a copy of SA Express News for Wed, Nov 10.

There was an article published about Nathan Sumsion's visit. When we went to look for one, they were all gone.

The article was in the "Neighbors" section.

If you could clip it out or bring the paper by my office that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Didn't make it into the paper, at least from what I could see, and I searched the whole thing except for the sports page and the classifieds...

I did find it online tho:

Video game designer to offer career tips
    Web Posted: 11/10/2004 12:00 AM CST

Edmundo Conchas
    Express-News Staff Writer

Video games aren't only for kids. Just ask Nathan Sumsion.

Sumsion, a video game designer for North Carolina-based Vicious Cycle Inc., will be in San Antonio to speak on the many hats worn by today's video game designers. The event will be at 7:30 p.m. today at the University of the Incarnate Word's International Conference Center.

Sumsion, a graphics design graduate of Utah State University, said this will be his first visit to San Antonio. He's looking forward to explaining what he does and how he does it.

"I didn't start school with the intention of going into the video game industry," he said. "But like a lot of young men, I enjoyed playing video games when I was growing up, and I decided that I had to find out what I needed to do to get in the industry."

Sumsion has worked for video game maker Acclaim, Kodiak Software and Crytek. His projects have included the games "Far Cry" and the recently released "Robotech: Invasion."

He said his presentation will focus on the different challenges a designer has, depending on where he is working and for whom. For example, he said, while he mostly works with creating the rules and the mechanics of game play, he also has worked on the game story, the characters and how the game will progress.

"Within the industry there is no clear-cut definition of what a designer is or what he does," he said. "A designer really is a jack-of-all-trades and helps to mix all the aspects of the game."

He also wants to explain what companies look for in a game designer.

"Some designers have very strong computer science backgrounds, but that's not a must," he said. "An important part of it is knowing what's out there."

"I think that he will offer a unique perspective on the gaming industry," said Michael Clayton, assistant professor of computer graphic arts at UIW and vice chairman of the Association of Computer Machinery-Special Interest Group of GRAPHics.

"People down here are starting to get an interest in the gaming industry, and there's a lot of interest in seeing what a designer does. He's got a lot of experience under his belt, and he's going to be able to pass on what he knows."

Admission is $5 for the public and $3 for students with student ID. For more information , call (210) 805-1212.

Comment

Yeah, I found the article online last night, but it was the paper since some of the attendees came only because they read it.

Its got a photo and they said its about 8" wide and 3" high.

If you could bring the whole paper to class and leave it with Denny, I'll look for it.

Thanks Andrew.

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Ack, must be because I have the NorthWest version of Neighbors... I didn't even know they split it up like that until now. Doesn't make too much sense to put an announcement about a conference and only let part of the city know :p

Anyway, I'l bring the paper if you stil want to take a look, but I think you'll need to get it from someone in the area of UIW :(

Comment

Really, that's quite strange.

Thanks though.

Comment

strangely enough, I looked at both the West/Northwest edition (the one that Andrew was talking about) and the North Central one, which was at my aunt and uncle's house, and didn't find the article. I'm not sure which one it would be in, but I had figured that, if anything, it would have been in that one, since that one serves the Alamo Heights/UIW area as well.

Comment

I'm telling you, it's a conspiracy...

Now we just need to figure whether the conspiracy is Express news not publishing articles or Prof. Clayton having us look in all these papers... but then again that's what makes it a good conspiracy...

Comment

I looked through the paper yesterday and did not find it.

It is a conspiracy! ;)

Comment

Working...
                X