Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

duplicating/instance question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duplicating/instance question.

what is better if i have multiple objects that are the same in a scene? is it best if i just duplicate the object over and over, or would it be better to make them instances? i forgot what the whole point of an instance is. just want to what's more processor friendly or whatever, if that makes sense.
    Pi Studios

I believe it is always best to use instances...
    reason #1 is that is uses less memory because it doesn't have to recalculate values for each object...the values are caculated once on the original and carried over to the instances.
    reason #2 is that if you decide to go back and tweak the geometry or materials on the object then you can simple tweak one of the instances and the changes are applied to all
    "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
    - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
    - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Comment

on the other hand....if you wish to make each object have unique features like scratches and dents then you will need to duplicate the object
      "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
      - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
      - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Comment

Yep. Sam's right. The idea of an instance is that you don't have 12 copies of an object, but rather that you are showing the same object 12 times. This means that if you adjust the object (the original) than all of the instances will be adjusted. This is nice if you are still playing with your geometry; but when you get to the point where you are playing with making things [i]not[/] look all the same, then instances are bad (just delete the history on the instances to make them unique objects).

Comment

does it just apply to the geometry only. could each instance have their own individual unique textures, or would they all remain the same as well?
          Pi Studios

Comment

You can assign different textures as that node would then be downstream of the instance node.

Comment

Working...
            X