Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something about History of Animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something about History of Animation

Professor Fagan was talking to our class about it, and I was just what we are looking forward to next semester.

And, because she said that Professor Watkins suggested taking Typography just in case we have a change of track interest, this is what my schedule will be like, or something like that, in the Spring:

Typography
    Digital Imaging
    History of Animation

Japanese II
    (Tennis or Archery, mebee)

So do you think the workload for the combined art classes will be too much? :< At any rate, I think I'll be okay, not unless someone can testify against this... :|

Beauty for ashes

Angelo,

Since I know you are really interested in the 3D track then you dont really need to take Typograhy unless you are not sure that you will stay in 3D.

The History of Animation course is exciting because well we get to learn about Animation. Its nice for us 3D people. Esp Drawing! and lots of it! Take the figure drawing class after Drawing 1 when you get the chance.

Nihongo no hou ga hontou ni dai jo bu dayo ne!
    日本語の方が大丈夫だよね!
    "...it's simple because I love Justice and I love files and when the two come together I could blow a justicy load! I could blow a justicy filey load..."

--Dane Cook
    "Car Alarm"
    Retaliation

Comment

Here's the problem: the turn over rate from 3D to Web/Print is really high. For instance, this semester our 3D I class started with 22 people and now we are down to 16. In past semesters we've lost half of the class.

Why this happens is unclear. May be that folks just don't like me. Could be that it turns out the 3D just isn't as fun as they thought it would be. Could be that we don't do (or allow) space ships, tanks, dinosaurs, anime or any of the things that seem to so enchant high schoolers doing 3D. Often I think its just that they don't know how many intense hours 3D will take. It is not uncommon for 3D folks to spend 25-30 hours per week out of class on their 3D homework. Of those that complete 3D I, we usually only end up with 8 or so who move onto 3D II.

In either case, the problem then becomes what those students do who don't stay in 3D. Many of them could enjoy a successful career in web/print design (which is no easier - but definitely is a different type of work). So moving into the Web/Print track is a good idea for them.

But, if they have not had Typography in the Spring of their freshman year, they can't take Web I and Print I in the Fall of their Sophomore year. It puts the student behind by one whole year.

Soooo, even if you think (or "know") that you are going to do 3D and stay in 3D until the second coming; taking Typography is still recommended. Many folks who were sure they are 3D are no longer 3D. And folks who do stay in 3D still have lots of use for good Typography skills (someday you will need to design a resume, webpage, and business card to advertise yourself as a 3D person).

Besides, you need those credits anyway, and you might as well be taking them in graphic design as Underwater BB Stacking, right?

Bottom line, taking Typography is a good idea. Required if you are Web/Print; HIGHLY recommended if you are 3D.

Comment

Watkins is right but I am so squeezing on by if i dont have to take Typography! blah! Stick with 3D it will be loads of fun!
        "...it's simple because I love Justice and I love files and when the two come together I could blow a justicy load! I could blow a justicy filey load..."

--Dane Cook
        "Car Alarm"
        Retaliation

Comment

With the 3D market the way it is right now; chances are there will be times in your career that you are out of work between gigs. Jobs that you start with a company and stay with that company for years and years just don't exist at most places.....

So, while you are between gigs, its much nicer to be designing web and print than it is to be waiting tables.....

Take Typography.....nothing but benefits will come from it.

Comment

lol ouch you got me! ok if i have to...ill take it!

--Dane Cook
            "Car Alarm"
            Retaliation

Comment

Working...
            X