Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Font Copyright Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font Copyright Q

If a standard font which is in PS is used in a logo or design which is sold how is that copyright effect the design or it sale ?

(this could really apply anywhere but since Im in PS that why I posted here)

Font copyrights

Sorry to be a while getting you an answer. computer problems.

Anyway, there is no really simple answer so take a deep breath—here goes

First, you can not actually copyright a typeface. The position of the US government is that you can not copyright the alphabet. BUT you can copyright a type font—that is the design and all the technology and coding to get the the design reproduced on the computer or printed. So, in practicality, most type on the computer is either copyrighted or is a rip off font and likely in violation of someones copyright. A few really wierd fonts are just out there for free (and worth every cent of it)

In order for a company "logo" to be eligible for copyright protection itself, it must be a "unique" visual design. Logos that just use a type font with little or no alteration or customization can not be copyrighted. That means anyone else can do virtually the same design and you can't do much about it unless they violate the legal protection of the NAME of the company which is another issue altogether. You can pretty much type anything in a font that you legally own and get it printed. That's what fonts are for, but you can not use a copyrighted font as your copy protected logo unless you've done something with it to make it a unique design and not just a series of letters in a particular font. Just how far you have to go to be a unique design is a bit of a gray area.

The best thing to do is always to be creative with your design. The more unique the design the better.

There is a running column on legal issues in Communication Arts magazine if you are interested. Legal stuff applied to visual design does not always make sense and sometimes does not seem fair but it is worth knowing about.

Now, are you sorry you asked? Did I answer your question?
    "No cape darling"

Comment

Perfect

Computer problems answer = !anything! as long as it doesnt mean sending it back to apple for warranty work.

Thanks for the detailed answer and the resources Ill look them up.

The reason I ask is I have submitted 2 logos (roughs) to a contest the ideas and work are mine and the configuration/use of the font is unique (well I hop so) to the logo so I think that puts me in the grey area. I just didnt want to hit any stumbling blocks down the road.

Definitly not sorry I asked thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X