Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows for Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows for Mac?

I saw an ad selling windows for the mac. It says that you can load it on your mac and use it to run windows documents. Has anyone tested it out or heard any info about this that is not bias?

What's the software in the ad called?

Virtual PC was created by Connectix, but they were bought out by Microsoft, so they have control of the software now. It will allow you to run Windows XP on your Mac.

The latest version that Apple recommends is version 6.1. Go to the Apple Store and do a search for 'virtual', it'll pop up in the list.

There's a trick to it though, the software only allows you to be able to install Windows onto your Mac, it doesn't come with Windows software. So you spend $130 of the Virtual PC software and another $150-$90 on Windows XP, so the solution costs you around $250-$300.

It will run on Jaguar (OSX 10.2), but I'm not sure about Panther (OSX 10.3).

I personally have never used it. I have a PC to test things on.
    ‎"Give me $50 worth. Just drive."

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

Re: Windows for Mac?

Originally posted by Yvette
      It says that you can load it on your mac and use it to run windows documents.
      Okay, after rereading your post, it advertises that it opens documents... does it say anything about running the software?

If its just to open files, I'd like to know the name of the software.

Twitter: @ProfClayton & @cgauiw || Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProfClayton || CGAUIW Facebook Group! || CGAUIW Flickr Page || ProfClayton's Vimeo Page

Comment

I read about it here at this link

macOS Sonoma brings stunning screen savers, desktop widgets, new ways to share work and web apps along with fun personalization tools and Game mode.

The article gives info about the software but does not give much info on how it performs on your mac. I was under the impression that it acted like windows. I have a pc I use for windows documents but it is slow and all of my investments go into my mac. Just thought someone might have tried this software out since it is fairly new and all of the bugs are probably not worked out.

Comment

Virtula PC has been around for years. Back in the day there were PCI cards with Windows-based processors built into them that we would use.

Using Virtual PC is like using Mac OS Classic, it just runs it in a window.

If you wanna get some opinions on this from Mac Users, try these links:

PC World

Epinions

Macworld

LowEnd Mac

Mactopia

Comment

Oh Yvette, if I didn't have my PC, I'd probably do it. But remember this fun fact... you now have to purchase/acquire the PC equivalent of the software you need. It's like buying two of everything.

Comment

Thanks for the links they have tons of info. After all of that I figure I should just upgrade my pc and live with it, rather than cram lots of unnecessary software into my mac. Thanks again though.

Comment

No prob.

Comment

Working...
                X